SKA

non-hetero

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ASIAN MAN records stuff is ok, but it's really not ska.

you'd better buy some of the original stuff because too many heads don't know the deal. i would recommend 2 important albums to give you an idea of 2 different styles of real ska.

-Various Artists "Intensified" (Island Records) the real stuff from the 60's .. a good Best Of Desmond Dekker is also worthwhile

-The Specials "Specials" (Chrysalis) the important early 80's resurgence

know yr roots!

Originally posted by joewelcome

ASIAN MAN records stuff is ok, but it's really not ska.

you'd better buy some of the original stuff because too many heads don't know the deal. i would recommend 2 important albums to give you an idea of 2 different styles of real ska.

-Various Artists "Intensified" (Island Records) the real stuff from the 60's .. a good Best Of Desmond Dekker is also worthwhile

-The Specials "Specials" (Chrysalis) the important early 80's resurgence

know yr roots!

on point- also bunny wailer, toots and the maytals , not really feeling the new ska scene.. but the originators had it..

I just got the Trojan Records Ska Box set vol. 1... I highly recommend it if you like artists like Desmond Dekker, Delroy Wilson, Justin Hinds and the Dominoes, Derrick Harriot, The Heptones, the Silvertones, shit even old Lee Perry.

all you need to know is TROJAN RECORDS, the old jamaican stuff is fucking excellent, rudeboy post. knows it

some 2-tone stuff is not bad, as well as The Specials there's The Selecter, and some of The Beat's stuff is pretty good

as for this new-wave stuff, absolute shite, i can't stand any of it (although Operation Ivy are the exception, still love 'em)

ok so what exactly is ska.....?

is it rock music kinda?

with trumpets in it?

thats what some dude told me

I really dont know and would like to know.

Originally posted by optimodub

all you need to know is TROJAN RECORDS, the old jamaican stuff is fucking excellent, rudeboy post. knows it

some 2-tone stuff is not bad, as well as The Specials there's The Selecter, and some of The Beat's stuff is pretty good

as for this new-wave stuff, absolute shite, i can't stand any of it (although Operation Ivy are the exception, still love 'em)

i agree with this totally. for those of you that are hating, have you ever even heard authentic ska? or just that crap with on MTV?

60's rocksteady stuff had so much soul.

If you don't have access to a good source of traditional ska, you could get the early Bob Marley recordings when he was still doing ska.

Desmond Decker

Skatalites/Don Drummond

Toots and the Maytals

All the Trojan stuff

Skatalites/Don Drummond

hell yes. I've said before, I don't understand why more people aren't into traditional ska... I couldn't ever get sick of it.

p.s. I'm not boy. :(

ska voovie and the epitones

hepcat

the skatelites

the slackers

stubborn allstars

there are many many many more. asian man records isnt that good a label.. if anything get a few give em the boot comps.. tim armstrong is really good at finding talented ska bands, and has the money to sign the older bigger ones.

Archived