Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

ska

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by unknown, Aug 23, 2001.

1. unknown

unknown Guest

anyone into it? what are some good bands?

2. OGBforMumia

OGBforMumia Member

i like the specials. or the toasters. im not really into ska though. i heard buck o nine is pretty good...real big fish were bomb back in the day..

3. OPIUM3

OPIUM3 Senior Member

yeah those were some good bands. I don't know about Reel Big Fish being "back in the day" but i can sorta see why your saying that. But i like the English Beat, Ska King Crab, Dance Hall Crashers, AquaBats, The Selecter, Hepcat, Bad Manners, Pie Tasters, Lets Go Bowling, Specials, and a bunch of others i can't remember right now. But those are some good true ska sound peoples to start out with.

4. jungle cat

jungle cat Elite Member

the only ska i ever liked was 'the hippos' i never bought a cd/tape/record of thiers though. because i basically hate all other ska... well.. atleast everything i heard.

5. tow up from tha flow up !

tow up from tha flow up ! Member

save ferris, the go go rays, goldfinger <3 <3 <3

6. dosoner

dosoner Elite Member

i dont really listen to ska, but my dad does, i dunno any bands, but i like the stuff, alot of it has some good energy behind it

7. CONTWO

CONTWO Member

listen to some desmond dekker,the specials,and the english beat,instead of buying reel big fish records

8. imported_joewelcome

imported_joewelcome Senior Member

i can't BELIEVE you mentioned Ska King Crab- they did a ska version of Take On Me first.

all that No Doubt/Save Ferris/Aquabats/Hippos/later DHC/Goldfinger/Reel Big Fish bullshit is useless. bad watery pop bands trying to jock whatever trend they misunderstood.

most people don't know/have never heard real ska music. in the late 70's/early 80's notable acts like the English Beat, Madness, The Specials, Selecter were reviving an old form of music from Jamaica (the precursor to reggae). and they injected a bit of punk to it in places. shit remained good until the mid 90's when shit just got dumb. ska tends to be a scene that grows, builds and collapses every 15-20 years. but none of what most people know of it comes close to the hallmarks of the style. there's too much history in it for people to half-ass the genre. everything bad associated with ska happened in the past 7 years, so look for stuff that came out in the mid 80's (the euro stuff is my favorite) and keep going back. if you reach far enough to be feeling the Skatalites original material, then you know you're there.

9. Devilush

Devilush 12oz Legend

yea fucking yea! that's what i'm talking about when it comes to the real ska. the bands that you listed before that are the watered down version. same goes with punk. but i really don't listen to much ska as of now. i have a bunch of cds and old tapes. whats funny is that the phillipines have their own ska bands too. shit rocks! it's not in the native tongue, so it's un english. they are called Put3Ska...for those of you who know some tagalog, that's a swear word. but the lead singer fucking rocks! anyone want a copy of that, let me know. oh here ya go! http://www.philmusic.com/zine/news/2000/08...ska/index.shtml

[This message has been edited by Devilush (edited 08-24-2001).]

10. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

ska really, really, really sucks...(play song here)

i admit though i was into the whole ska fad a few years back, but i never looked back.

11. Frate_Raper

Frate_Raper Veteran Member

I was soooo in to ska like 3 years ago......then I woke up onday grabbed anything ska related and sold it to homos at school.Fuck ska!

12. jointhedotz

jointhedotz Member

too true joe...i got into the 2-tone stuff years ago when i listened to a lot of punk, its still ok but doesnt compare to the original jamaican stuff...as for 3rd wave, most of that shit is a fuckin disgrace (op ivy are the only exception maybe)

13. unknown

unknown Guest

anyone heard of Big D and the Kids Table?

14. TRUE

TRUE Member

I remember in one of the CKY videos Bam asks these kids if they like ska, they say yes, and then he proceeds to tell them that it's shit...
    Bam's the man.

15. kid furie

kid furie Senior Member

the "kings": operation ivy