SK8 OR DIZZIE

duh-rye-won

who skates? i took a 4 or 5 year hiatus but i've been back in action lately. mostly skating mini, trying to get my shit back without killing myself the way i used to. skating was such a huge part of my life growing up, i'm pissed at myself for quitting for such a long time. feels good to be skating again and i'm pretty siked on it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I bought a board last summer after taking about 10 years off. I found out things are a little harder when you've grown about a foot taller and 100lbs. heavier. It's painful how bad I am now. That's all I used to do was skateboard and I wish I had never quit.

Originally posted by Æ°

I bought a board last summer after taking about 10 years off. I found out things are a little harder when you've grown about a foot taller and 100lbs. heavier. It's painful how bad I am now. That's all I used to do was skateboard and I wish I had never quit.

i hear you. i'm just trying to take it slow and get it back. i'm actually not as bad as i thought i'd be when i started up again. my stamina is non-existent tho. i'm shot after skating mini for 45 minutes. feels good tho.

I've been thinking about skating again, just

for the sake of getting exercise and pushing

myself... I used to fruitboot and skateboard,

I don't know why the hell I quit. Before I stopped

fruitbooting I could mistyflip gaps and shit

and was jumping off a lot of roofs. Now I need

to lose at least 10 pounds before I can consider

anything like that.

Originally posted by 26SidedCube

I've been thinking about skating again, just

for the sake of getting exercise and pushing

myself... I used to fruitboot and skateboard,

I don't know why the hell I quit. Before I stopped

fruitbooting I could mistyflip gaps and shit

and was jumping off a lot of roofs. Now I need

to lose at least 10 pounds before I can consider

anything like that.

excercise was big motivation for me to start up again. when i don't skate, i get very little excercise.

please never mention rollerblading or anything related to rollerblading in this thread again, thanks.

when I was little rollerbladers were the shit. there was this team of rollerbladers that performed in the local mall and did some cool shit, my parents were with me so I asked them to get me some blades. I had the time of my life growing up. I also got a skateboard later on, and man did I have fun with it. I wonder why I quit...oh yeah, faggots hijacked it just like faggots hijacked underground hip hop, graffiti, and DJing. fucking faggots, they fuck everything up!

Originally posted by iquit

excercise was big motivation for me to start up again. when i don't skate, i get very little excercise.

please never mention rollerblading or anything related to rollerblading in this thread again, thanks.

Deal, but it gets way gayer than fruitybooting.

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Lagoon/1509/Joel2.jpg'>

..and don't forget those scooters.

I used to skate way back in the day. For us, though, it was more a fun way of hanging out with the boys, drinking and smoking, causing old people to have heart attacks and all that fun stuff. By the time we all started to take it more seriously, I injured my knee and gave it up. Plus by this time every fucker and their mum was a skater, so I just said fuck it.

Fun fucking times, though, maybe I should get back into it....

i never quit... but then again im 17...

ha bitches im young and full of energy and better than all yall.

not really, i feel like a fuckin old man sometimes, especially when i look at all the little shits that are so fucking good it makes me want to quit.

skating really is getting infiltrated by a lot of faggots who try more than anything to look like their favorite skater or whatever... and when you see the little crews of them its like they're collectively trying to look like their favorite skate crew, including a little wannabe mark appleyard, wannabe evan hernandez or some other really good 15 year old with a spanish name, the token wannabe really-good-black-kid (bastien salabanzi or whoever, etc.).. plus the whole ego thing at parks and spots about who's better. and then all the dudes who say all this shit about how great it used to be or whatever but werent really part of it back then anyway.

all this aside, skating is really fun, good excercise, and just good times for the most part.. an important part of life.

Originally posted by Daze One Million

skating never interested me, nor does it now even with all these x-games and proskater video games, just looked boring to me

the x-games and tony hawk video games are in no way representative of skateboarding, dont get it twisted. fuck the x games and fuck tonyhawk pro skater, even though i enjoy seeing skateboarding on tv and enjoy playing tony hawk pro skater.

i have some great skate flics of the local skaters here in hong kong. i have some good flics of the zoo york guys street skating in mainland china, and i have AMAZING skate flics of pat duffy when he was here a few months ago.

i gotta take the time to upload the shit and figure out the image hosting nightmare.

Originally posted by bute

best part of it all is i work part time in a skate shop and get all my product, clothing and shoes cost price. yeah yeah.

You have no idea how many times I tried to

get a job at my local skateshop when I was

15-17... had I got that job I probably would

have never stopped skating.

Fucking real world.

fuck yeah iquit. thats a claim if i ever heard one. if i were you i would have a t shirt that says "i bowled with pat duffy". he was pretty much the first to ever take it to the handrail. nice. i cant wait for the others.

ya, my best friend here, the chinese kid next to me, is like the main skate industry kid in hong kong. has a skate shop, books the demos and all that shit. so when heads come through, i always take them out partying and show them a good time. they're siked to meet an american in HK who knows whats up.

unfortunately, i can't show all the pics of duffy skating here. i promised the photographer, theo, on the left, that i would wait. he took some sick flics and doesn't want shit out before he sells em to the magazines.

but check this out:

duffy climbed this gnarly scaffolding on the side of a building. he jumps onto a huge double decker bus thats stopped at a red light. he proceeds to kickflip from the roof of one double decker bus to another while they are stopped at a light. it was the sickest thing i ever saw done street skating. theo said he'd probly give tho pics to skateboarder mag, they might've been published already, i dunno, check it out. any way, duffy's a super cool mellow guy, and still a sick ripper. insane. he was straight outta rehab so we couldn't party too hard, but we had a good time while he was here nonetheless.

hkskateboarding.com is a cool website my friend runs if you want to peep it.

http://img34.photobucket.com/albums/v102/gooose/streetdrink_lr.jpg'>

http://img34.photobucket.com/albums/v102/gooose/meduffy-lr.jpg'>

yeah im feeling ya iquit.....

i used to skate all my life growing up since b4 i even started skool

ive owned a quater pipe more than half of my life and just late last yr it spat the dust.....

i havnt really jumped on my board since i fuct my ankles...which was about 4 yrs back. I got on my board the other week and yeah i could still do all the basic stuff but yeah im thinking i have to start afresh again and try to get stuck into it...these days im kinda a lazy fuck and always seem to drive everywhere,i dont even get on my bmx no more....fuck i wish i stuck at skating ect too...im gona have to make time for it!!!

+ i miss all the skate demo's and seeing all the pro's come to town!

Im there with the rest of you old guys. I started skating in like 86 or so .. kept that shit up like a madman all through high school ... and i stll get on my board a few times a year. i need to get going again more consistanly ... im way outta practice and the fear has me right now. my cousin has been pushing himself hard for a year or two again and is better now then he was 10 years ago at his peak.

i just moved and i guess Omar Hassan lives right across the street from me. thats the word from my landlord, anyway.

for all you older guys .... i just went digging yesterday and found many of the old classic skate vids are being re-released on dvd.

santa cruz has all their old titles out (wheels of fire, streets of fire, etc)

powell will be putting out all the bones birgade vids on 3/15

plan b has put all theirs out (questionable, virtual reality.)

only one missing i would like to see soon is Blind "Video days"

Guest im not witty

^im waiting for the H street videos to come out again.

but onto the issue at hand... i think its funny how everyone and thier mother "used to skate."

i still skate everyday if i get the chance, and ive been skating for about 15 years. bear in mind the first 4/5 of those years i were just a little tyke, riding around on a big ass SIMS board not doing a single trick and having the time of my life.

i dont really have any peers to skate with anymore, but thats fine. to me now, there is no point in skateboarding that isnt personal. its not going to bring me fame and fortune, but its the closest thing ive got to meditation. parking blocks, wall rides, slappies, slash grinds, dork tricks. this is what its about people. im sick of the stuntman mentality in skating. im super excited that stereo is kicking back up again after reading an interview with jason lee recently in which he said what ive been saying about skating for the last several years. footage of the gonz cruising down the street is more valuable than a video full of stair and rail jockeys. clip clip clip trick trick trick.

just skate you hosers.

Guest im not witty

heres part of that interview

What are the criteria to be a Friend of Stereo?

Jason: Well, me, personally, I'm a stickler for skateboarders. And what

I mean by skateboarders is people who actually ride their skateboard and

have fun with it.

Chris: Mark Whiteley you are a Stereo sound agent.

Jason: The great thing about the team we had, we didn.t have any

superstar skateboarders in the original Stereo days, but what we did

have was a group of skateboarders who actually and sincerely enjoyed

skateboarding. We had lines in our videos; it wasn.t a bunch of crazy

technical sh*t.clip, clip, clip, clip. It was all a bunch of free

flowing skateboarding. As we all know a lot of that has been lost, and

I've only been back in the scene for the last eight or nine months, but

from what I've seen there isn.t any of that at all in skateboarding.

it's a lot of crazy switch stance stuff going down 25-stair handrails,

which to me is more stunt work than skateboarding. So we want to

basically put as many people that we can in the Friends of Stereo video

that have the same ways of thinking or styles or they respect Stereo or

they understand it.

Chris: It could be that they influenced us in the beginning or they

influence us now or they represent Stereo.

Jason: Jason Jessee is a good example. From what I can assume I don't

think he.d be able to do half of what new vert skaters are doing now,

but all we would need in our Friends of Stereo video of Jason Jessee is

a frontside ollie and a backside air to fakie.

Chris: Mark Gonzales doing an egg plant.

Jason: Mark Gonzales just pushing down the sidewalk is more valuable to me than what I see in these videos.

Chris: But you have to be realistic and think&

Jason: I don't want to be a bitter old man.

Chris: Yeah.

Jason: But I don't think I'm wrong. A lot of people I talk to, even some

young kids, are really trying to stay focused on what skateboarding was

when they were 16 and pushed down to the store. But unfortunately now 16-year-old kids don't do that. They don't push down to the store. They watch Jaime Thomas in videos. Jaime Thomas has done a lot for

skateboarding. But at the same time it's gnarly trick after gnarly trick

and a lot of these 12-year-old kids who were born when I was born when I was 21 or 22 years old, they think in order to be good they have to 5-0 grind gnarly handrails, jump from roof to roof. There.s no examples in skateboarding videos that say, hey, just go out and skateboard. That era is gone. it's our responsibility, we feel, to bring it back.

Chris: I think too, even if someone does skate handrails or gnarly gaps,

if they.re honestly an individual and they do what they do for the right

reasons then that.s fine.

Jason: But I don't feel that, though. Skating with Nate Jones

recently.rad experience.Clint Peterson, Benny Fairfax from London, these are all skateboarders. All the footage I've seen of these guys it's all been good lines and skating. What I've found goes hand in hand with that is better spirit. Like, "Rad, that ollie was cool and blah, blah, blah."

But as soon as you get into the really tech gnarly stunt guys nothing.s

good enough anymore. Everybody.s jaded, everybody.s cynical, it's not

cool if it's not switch stance. And these kids are like 17, and like,

"I've already done like 50 thousand more tricks than Jason Lee has or

anyone of his generation."

Chris: The filmer.s telling you how to skate, like, "You can.t do the

backside heel down the nine anymore, dude. it's already been done down 13." I don't give a sh*t if it's been done down the f*cking

thousand-stair roof.

Jason: Yeah, someone recently quoted Salman Agah, and I thought was

really rad, saying&

Chris: &Nate did.

Yeah, Nate Jones. "I don't care who.s done what. it's never been done in

my body." So it's going to look different and it's going be valid for

him in his own time and his own universe.

Chris: So if you want to do a f*cking boardslide on a nine stair, have a

f*cking go.

Jason: This is good f*cking interview, actually.

Originally posted by im not witty

^im waiting for the H street videos to come out again.

I still have Hocus Pocus on vid if you wanted a copy i would be willing to dub you one. hit my email if you want.

i also read that article in slap. it was great to see a company founding on an ideal like that!! i have been doing funny shit like powerslide 360's on banks and no complys a lot as of late. all the kids rocking the tech shit at the park look at me sideways but it is about you and doing what has a good flow to it.

strange pic. its either a turbo rocket ollie or he is about to kick it. obviously the kick if you say he kickflipped it. thats fucking intense man. gnarliest thing i have seen it a while. i would say it beats bams moving train freight to moving train freight ollie. thanks

actually, he did it twice. this is the first one, he just ollied it. then he jumped back onto the scaffolding and waited 10 minutes for 2 double decker buses to stop back to back at the light again. next time he kickflipped it, and the gap was waaaaay bigger.

Archived