Should the NY firefighters statue for 9/11 be exact or abstract?

mental invalid

...just thought id pose this to the 12ozers....considering i get that dam petition every day from someone else in my email box....

if someone could post the flick itd be grand, but im sure most of you know the image and if you dont perhaps you need to buy a newspaper...

so,

should it be representational of the exact event? which was three male white american hoisting the flag?

or

should it be more universal, showing the multi-cultural fire department, and be more representational of all the firefighters that died?

is it politically correctness or just universal symbolism?

what about the EMS and NYPD who lost their lives?

just some questions to provoke some conver....im not even sure of my answers to tell you the truth...:confused:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

As a sculptor:D i have only one thing to say. It wont be abstract, i havent seen the pics you're talking about (our papers dont have that)

But it CANT be abstract

Guest fr8lover

everyone down to the average american was affected by the disaster and in my opinion it should be able to represent even the average americans feelings. i think it should be a straightforward piece that everyone can garner a memory from and share their emotions with.

thats just coming from a know-nothing average american.

Americans are so picky about stuff like this. There will be a handful of people who want an "artsy" symbolic monument, but the majority of people here in the States, are so close minded and unimaginative that it will probably end up being very realistic looking ... just a plain statue. And the truth is that no matter what they build, there are going to be people that are unhappy with it. That's humanity for you.

edit: Sorry, I just read what I wrote and realized that it sounded like a big jerk. The point I was trying to make is that it's such a hard thing to build a monument for everybody that has been effected by this tragedy (directly or indirectly). I'm sure there are people that believe that no matter what kind of monument you build, it won't be enough. And there are other people that wish this whole thing would go away and things could be like they were before. The truth is that our world has been forever changed by this, and monument or not, artsy or realistic, big or small, nobody is going to forget this.

I would say it really depends on what they want to get across with the sculpture? Is it there as a permanent reminder of a historical moment? Then it should be true to the moment. Is it there as a tribute to the heroics of firemen everyday? Then it should reflect the diversity.

I know I didn't answer the question, but the intent of the message is important and I don't think the creaters have properly addressed what they want to portray. Or maybe they have and haven't communicated well.

In my personal opinion, I think they should be true to the moment.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by mental invalid

abstract was a not a good choice tess....how about symbolic?

No, symbolic isnt a good word either, monumentary sculpture is symbolic by definition, but i understand what you're talking about.

The main question is that should the monument be iconographical, 'illustrating' what happened, or should it be a 'form' that compresses many ideas?

I believe that the main platform in monumentary sculpture used in the states is a very direct and self explanatory one, the perfect example for this is the statue with the soldiers that raise the flag.

So, i still believe that this monument will be something along those lines.

Archived