Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Should OG Oontzers with kids old enough, allow them to join 12oz?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by misteraven, Jan 23, 2018.

?

Should OG Oontzers with kids old enough, allow them to join 12oz?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. No (Fuck no!)

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Boogie hands

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. LUGR

LUGR Veteran Member

I bet you have some Kandybah in your folder.

EON 352, belmonts, Fist 666 and 2 others like this.
  2. Milk Grenades

Milk Grenades Dirty Dozen Crew

My daughter is a senior this year. She’s too busy watching YouTube videos and snap chatting. Don’t think kids these days have the attention span to sit and post on a forum for several hours each day. It’s too much work.

F8A75E17-CF22-4BD0-A1C9-417A98136157.gif

3. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

Welcome... not sure I've seen you around in a minute.

I feel you on the attention span comment. Also have a daughter in HS.

4. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

I think this expands larger than children. The ease of finding and access to information has led people to a path of propensity for immediate gratification. It's not just kiddos that "don't have time" or are "too busy". Here's a really good article I found months ago about the word "busy":

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/busy-new-stupid-ed-baldwin-sphr-gphr

In summary when you're "too busy" for something it just means it's not a priority to you. You can be "busy" doing anything at any time and the measure of whether or not that prevents you from doing anything else is personal choice. Without being too crotchety, kids need to man the fuck up these days and do stuff that is hard. Too many wusses being raised by wusses. Kids should be here on 12oz. There is no "easy mode" in the world. The sooner you enjoy reality the better you will be at being comfortable in it. That doesn't mean smoke weed with your 7 year old kid so don't read too far in between the lines there.

Being "too busy" on instagram to "hang out on a forum making posts" just means that the forum doesn't give the dopamine hit they're going to receive from instagram.

When this forum was poppin off the most, there were no alternative social areas to go. Myspace was a thing but you couldn't get too gritty there because it was "public". The world is filled with "preview" "demo" and "beta" grade experiences these days to the point to where when someone reads that short blurb on twitter it's not a short blurb anymore, it's a full tweet.... it is the full experience. If you looked back through some of the large discussion threads on this forum you could never compare anything that's happened on twitter/instagram/facebook wall to the discussions had here and I think that's what people don't understand about forums. It's a place for a discussion, not a cheap interaction, not a comment on a photo, not a short note about how your shit was curly, soft, and light brown colored like cat shit...... that's what is lost, people are consuming data in small chunks now because the expectation is there for short sprints of entertainment.

I'm ranting though, I could go on and on about it. When was the last time any of you read a good book? I've been doing this thing where I buy books I want to read and don't read them for months. Recently I got into reading before bed and putting the book down when I'm too tired to keep my eyes open. I just got to thinking about books because I feel like I don't hear people talking about reading anymore. It takes effort to be thoughtful and have meaningful conversations.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    the.crooked likes this.
  5. Mercer

Mercer Moderator Crew

Agree with most of what was said. Really forgot how good books could be since I've only read online since about 2005, and sporadically before that. Just signed up for audible the other day and holy shit, just listening to an actual well written book while driving is worth 10x more than the best blog posts. Feeds back into what you wee saying about condensing thoughts into 140 characters ,VS an actual online discussion.

6. lord_casek

lord_casek 12oz Royalty

Joined: Jan 24, 2006 Messages: 27,163 Likes Received: 1,076

Audible is a goldmine.

7. CALIgula

CALIgula Moderator Crew

I've been doing the same thing...in 2017 i read 4 autobiographies and 1 separate book..im currently reading a 5th autobiography right now, but ive got roughly 40-50 books that ive bought from used book stores that I haven't gotten to...they're just sitting on the shelf collecting dust...about 5 months ago i cut out social media and my reading picked up since then, but being on my phone looking up videos or reading news articles ( and a lot of click bait articles) has consumed much time.

8. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

Yeah, I'm a little the same. My FOMO isn't related to facebook or social media but news and short-form analysis. I read books all the time, just finished a 360 page history book two days back. However I would have finished it much quicker if I didn't keep stopping each chapter to check the news (and forums 12oz, home brewing and mountain bikes...)

CALIgula likes this.
  9. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

Haha, it sounds like there are disciplined folks still in the world. I consume a lot of tech news in short sprints (arstechnica.com). I, also, have the same problem of doing a lot of reading online. I read probably more than the average person by a long shot but none of it in the past 20 years has been books, it's all been online. People keep telling me that audio books are awesome but I haven't tried them yet.

Having a big collection of books is pretty cool in itself I think. One of my old roommates who was also my manager at work had his entire living room full of books. It looked like a study in there, every wall was a book shelf filled to the top w/ books. It was always a talking point when new people were in the house and there was always some book on the shelf they liked or knew. He had the entire Western Canon.

Anyway, I don't want to derail too far from the subject here so I'll regroup to a time when I was in elementary school. I had a drive to read so I'd spend a lot of time in the library. This was in the early 90s before America experienced some of the more stupid things that happened in the late 90s and early 2000s so there were books on pyrotechnics in the library at my elementary school. I was a bit sharper than the average kid my age so I knew very well what pyrotechnics were. I checked those books out and learned how to make colored flames and sparks all without my mom ever knowing. The point I'm bringing to light is that when I was curious as a young boy I was able to find information in the library, in a book, by just putting the effort forth to do it. Now, a larger quantity of information is available in an easier to use format.... smart phones. The connection I intend to make is that you cannot 'keep a kid off of 12oz' these days with how the internet is. I use the term "12oz" loosely because you could fill the blank in with any site that contains material you might question for a child.

To go a step further, you have no control over what your kid sees at school from the other kid in his class who's parents are rednecks..... so restricting the reading/entertainment material may only address a small part of the issue.

10. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

I read a freakin ton. I have at least a couple books loaded on my iPhones Kindle app and often read for an hour or so at night before bed or in the morning before everyone else is up. Its been my escape for many years already. Love amateur author zombie apocalypse books and probably read most the ones on Amazon.

11. Steel Schnauzer

Steel Schnauzer Dirty Dozen Crew

12. Brewster Baker

Brewster Baker 12oz Loyalist

I don’t think kids these days even know what a forum is. It’s a dying art form. I used to frequent a lowrider forum and like 12oz it was popping at one time. Now it’s a graveyard.

Maybe I’ll show my son one day and tell him this is where you came from haha.

the.crooked and misteraven like this.
  13. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

@D-Habs - DEFINITELY get on the audio books, librivox is an awesome source. I’ve been doing the classics on there, everything from Heart Of Darkness to 1984 can be listened to. Great Expectations is next on the list for me.

Back OT..,,

14. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

Truth of the matter is that the forum (this one at least) has been steadily picking up. It's been fucked up in the past and has had its ups and downs, but dont think I believe that forums are over with. Look at Reddit for example... Shit is massive and really is nothing more than a forum. No doubt the iphone app helps it along and it has some extra features, but essentially its various topics being discussed in a format that isnt all the different than what we do here. Meanwhile Digg is about dead though it was the original version of that format.

Anyhow, I think its a matter of having stuff worth reading so people come back. That's on all of us.

15. the.crooked

the.crooked Veteran Member

I was having a conversation with my wife about this idea of whether or not forums would fall off.

I think in the current climate, people are wanting to go back to something that feels more concrete in the experience. Even if this is still a digital interaction, and only a few of us know each other IRL, we all know each other here. Along with that sense of actual community is something that's a bit less transient than the news feed, or story feed, etc. Each one of those is a persistent stream of information that one ingests and moves on. Here, we represent our ideas in a static format, or at least, a movable piece that can be traversed at one's own speed.

I'd like to think this place will pick up again. I suppose us having this conversation at all is indicative of such. Obvs, Raven can see the visit counts so he'll know that in the explicit sense.

But, like the man said, it really is our space to do with as we please, so it's lack of movement or lack of interesting content is really on us.

CALIgula, belmonts and misteraven like this.