should I buy this camera right now?

John Birch

canon a610

my current digital is like 3 years old, a fuji (please don't laugh)... I need a new one, my old is 2.0 megapixels, this one is 5.0... I know they go higher but I think this is all I need... I'm a pretty good photographer, but still am not rich enough to buy a slr ditigal ($1000+++), this has manual settings etc and gets the best reviews for its price...

I'm drinkin a 40 and need advice.. I'm also very cheap and if I get out this buying mood it might be months before I contemplate buying again...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by dobsilla+Dec 16 2005, 02:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dobsilla - Dec 16 2005, 02:51 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-John Birch@Dec 16 2005, 07:51 AM

ok I pulled the trigger... I couldn't wait for delivery, so I'm going to best buy tommorow to pick up. I saved $10 by ordering online...

congratulations!

[/b]

yes. good camera, no joke. swivel screen is a great invention.

http://www.cnet.com reviews, price comparisons, etc. When buying a digital camera like that, be smart and search around for good prices. If best buy is selling it for $300, i bet you can find it from a legit online store for under $250 and free shipping. Or you could actually go to a store and haggle with a manager to try to get them to throw in a free 512mb memory card or something. They might straight up say no, but they might want the business and you know they're still making profit. I have some other good camera review and price comparison sites, but i don't know them off the top of my head. If you're interested i'll find them for you tomorrow.

edit: i definitely read too fast and didn't realize you bought it already. oh well

lol...when I want something... I want it now... its a cost/benefit of how much of my time I want to drive around (gas and hours cost $$$) to haggle etc etc or buy something online and wait 3 weeks etc. etc... btw I got it for $270 plus tax.. online sale...the cheapest online I saw was $250 plus shipping which averages almost the same etc...

so all in all I got a good a deal as its worth...

The good: Manual exposure controls; excellent feature set for its class; great image quality; easy to use, with a convenient function button for quick setting changes; compatible with lens converters and other accessories.

The bad: Flimsy SD/MMC-slot and port covers; slightly stiff function button; not quite as fast as some competitors.

The bottom line: The Canon PowerShot A610 puts a great feature set in an affordable camera that produces above-average image quality, making it an excellent option for a wide variety of photographers.

Originally posted by Mainter@Dec 16 2005, 01:41 PM

get his brother PowerShot A620. 7.1 mp

yeah I almost bought his older brother, but it was almost $100 more... plus my current camera is only 2.0mp, and takes good pictures, so I figure I'd go with the 5.0 for a couple years...what I really want is a slr digital. My friends dad had one at thanksgiving dinner and damn I was player hating. The lens was a awesome 22mm-105mmm. I LOVE wide angle lens (esp for flicking architecture and fr8s). I'm going to pick up my new camera in a few... its only 35-140mm but whatever...

update: I found the a620 for $310 plus $20 s+h... almost bought, cancelled my best buy order and then called the place. SOLD OUT. i wasted an hour reseraching the place etc, waiting on hol and everything. Fuck it, I couldn't wait, I rushed down to best buy and picked up my camera before the order was cancelled. I guess if I could wait, and do the work, i could find a good deal on a 620, but oh wel....

does it have a flash lamp? i won't buy a camera without one because it's so hard to take pictures of shit like freights in the dark without one. it's that thing that lights up when you hold the button down like half way on the camera, and it enables you to focus and aim in the dark.

5 megapixels will give you a pretty big picture, but you can't go anywhere near 6 feet with it. However, if you're planning to just do prints that are, like, 24' or smaller, they will look great.

And a 32 megabyte card will probably hold less than a dozen pics at that size. Your 512 should hold a good hundred or so, though. Maybe more.

http://www.bizrate.com/digitalcameras/pid3...pareprices.html

ha, i know you already bought it, but....shoulda checked bizrate homie. $249, no tax, free shipping. oh well.

i just bought a canon sd450 the other night. $293 on my doorstep. i won't actually get to play with it till xmas, but i'm stoked. holler for digital cameras smaller than a tape case.