Shopper Is Knocked Unconscious as Sale Begins.....hahaha...tis the season...

mental invalid

Shopper Is Knocked Unconscious as Sale Begins

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: November 30, 2003

ORANGE CITY, Fla., Nov. 29 — A mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players trampled the first woman in line and knocked her unconscious on Friday as they scrambled for the shelves at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

The woman, Patricia VanLester, had her eye on a $29 DVD player, but when the siren blared at 6 a.m. announcing the start of the post-Thanksgiving sale, Ms. VanLester, 41, was knocked to the ground by the frenzy of shoppers behind her.

"She got pushed down, and they walked over her like a herd of elephants," her sister, Linda Ellzey, said on Saturday. "I told them: `Stop stepping on my sister! She's on the ground!' "

Ms. Ellzey said that some shoppers tried to help Ms. VanLester, and that one employee helped her reach her sister. But most people just continued their rush for deals, she said.

"All they cared about was a stupid DVD player," she said.

Paramedics called to the store found Ms. VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player, surrounded by shoppers seemingly oblivious to her, said Mark O'Keefe, a spokesman for EVAC Ambulance.

She was flown to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where doctors told her family that Ms. VanLester had suffered a seizure after she was knocked down and that she would probably remain hospitalized through the weekend, Ms. Ellzey said. Hospital officials said they did not have any information on Ms. VanLester's condition.

"She's all black and blue," Ms. Ellzey said. "Patty doesn't remember anything. She still can't believe it all happened."

[Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said Saturday that it hit a single-day company sales record on Friday, taking in more than $1.52 billion nationally. Last year, Wal-Mart reported sales of $1.43 billion for the day after Thanksgiving.]

Ms. Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called on Friday to ask about her sister. The store apologized and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her, Ms. Ellzey said.

A Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman, Karen Burk, said she had never heard of a such a melee during a sale.

"We are very disappointed this happened," Ms. Burk said. "We want her to come back as a shopper."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by mental invalid

Ms. Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called on Friday to ask about her sister. The store apologized and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her, Ms. Ellzey said.

wow, on hold for her? jesus. like wally world cant afford to handout one dvd player.

Hahahaha. Move it or lose it sweet heart. On another note, I should go to wal mart and get trampled on my way to buying a riding mower or some shit. Maybe they'll hook a player up for free. I could make it happen.

Yo man i was trying to come in here to buy 8 john deeres but now i dont know if i ever want to come back to wal mart again.

Archived