serious question

Average White Railfan

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

no way man..i doubt you are the only one.It's a very opinionated subject and alot of people have different views about it...but i think that people SHOULD watch what the hell they say on here or any other site for that matter...but to each his own.I think that the people we are reffering to dont know any better anyways.Think before you type ladies...............

Guest THE LAW

If you feel there's any info of a sensitive nature that shouldn't be discussed, contact one of the moderators and we'll see to it that it's properly edited. THE LAW and company don't have the time or motivation to check EVERY thread EVERY day. (OK, well, some of them do).

Personally, THE LAW believes that people are WAY too lazy about their spotted lists. it's not that hard to figure out where someone's from when they say it somewhere (like in a bench thread), and then when their lists show all local writers on a ----day morning every week, it gives out a lot of info that isn't necessarily theirs to give. In conjunction with some other techniques, THE LAW has been able to figure out exactly what yard and what night a lot of people are painting this way

also, times people paint, entrance, exit, parking strategies should not be discussed.

i guess i agree with what most people are saying here, but i tend to think that this type of thing is overdone a lot. although i am not from a place where train graff gets a lot of police or media attention, i, like ever other writer wants to keep his spots free and relatively easy. but i just can't imagine all this fuss over this type of shit. also, i think that your intimate knowledge of your area from a writer's perspective makes it much easier to feel like people are being obvious in their spot descriptions. i think we should all be careful, but let's not get carried away.

Yeah i agree with these peoples on this subject, people do tend to speak a little freely on these kind of boards, but i cant say much becuase i am one of those people sometimes (or probaly all the time) but ive realized that it is a serious matter of what info you give out so im sure to watch what i say from now on and i think we all should be more careful, acept all the people that are already careful of what they say. but then again i think some people get to pariniod about that shit, i mean yeah i give you that the cops probaly watch this kinda shit everyonce in awhile but the dont devote the carriers to catching us and theres no way they can read all this stuff and even if the do read something of your whats the chances their even from your state, or even close to your state. but then again your states police force is only one phone call away. now you may think why is this kid contridicting his self on every other sentence and im not trying to prove myself right or wrong i was simply puttin both sides of the matter out there for people to see. later CLUEOne

Rail Yards are well known

I understand the point y'all are making, but I can't get over the feeling that each writer has the mistaken impression that his "secret spot" is unknown to everybody else in town. Anybody with a $2.95 city map and an ounce of common sense can identify all the rail yards in a city, and about half the lay-ups in fifteen minutes with a yellow highlighter. A big yard in Houston, like Englewood Yards, which is several miles long and has several lay-ups on the tracks leading to it and away from it, cannot possibly be "secret." Hell, everybody in Houston is over there wandering around at night. UP knows they've got fifty tramps and again as many graff commandos operating around their yards on any given night. There's no way any big yard like that could be any kind of secret spot. I've heard that the UP bulls use night vision equipment to watch areas where there is a lot of cargo theft, and I'm not surprised. That's the sort of thing that really heats up a spot--vandalism, theft and criminal behavior. The railroad workers don't care about tramps or graffitti much, as long as you don't do something to screw up their day or make their job more difficult.

Obviously, it's unwise to say "Hey, let's meet at the corner of Smith Street and Jones Blvd. on Wednesday night, to go paint the shit out of a bunch of Union Pacific freight cars!" Nobody is that dumb. I hope.

The trainhoppers I know of that got in trouble got overconfident and had the feeling that hopping was such an obscure activity that they were safe blabbing all about everything they did on the sites they frequented, and sometimes they came off with a "we are so smart and the bulls are such losers" attitude that it made the bulls want to catch them. How smart is that? A few of them did get popped. Colinwood even had "Watch for this Trespasser" type bulletins out on him. Making CSX look like a pack of dumbasses in front of the whole world on the Internet isn't too smart. Have a little decency. Afford a little dignity. Treat the railroads and the railroad men with a little respect. It will pay off in the long run. And it's the right thing to do.

Archived