Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

self-tailoring & DIY clothing

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by injury, Mar 2, 2014.

1. injury

injury 12oz Loyalist

no idea how much traffic this will get, but why not.

most L and XL shit fits fits well up top but everything gets wavy down below. and since tailors charge coke prices i'd rather learn how to tailor this shit myself.

anyone else do this? opinions on pinch and pin vs this measurement method?

i have a project in mind but need to get a sewing machine before I can properly add to this thread.

2. ipod90

ipod90 Senior Member

Interested also.

3. ShortFuse

ShortFuse Elite Member

I know its not always an easy thing when it comes to tailoring. My mother is a very big sewer but even she keeps her distance. I have a machine at my disposal but dont have much time to teach myself. Ill say this though. Tailors are expensive while typically seamstresses are not. Usually theyll take in a shirt or another article of clothing for ten bucks. Tailors tend to be expensive because if Im not mistake they start from square one and actually form an outfit for you from scratch while the seamstresses just alter.

Not to keep you from your project, just trying to save frustration in the mean time. Usually Burlington Coat Factories have seamstresses within them. I know Ive gotten alterations for cheap and it looks to be ok work. I wouldnt take any suit of mine to them though if I was looking to get the chest and shoulders altered.

4. Porcelain

Porcelain Veteran Member

Thought this was going to be about iron press-on designs transfer designs.

I am guilty of making a few shirts from designs that were not available or made.
    HQ printer, Color transfer paper, iron, and a clean pressed shirt.
    Can't tell the difference. :D

In relation to the thread. My grandmother would always cut our pants that were too short or we out grew into shorts. Made them look legit from right out of the store. Never payed attention to exactly how since i was younger. but i hope you find a way to make it work.

5. MedicineCabinet

MedicineCabinet 12oz Loyalist

tru.. only know how to fix minor tears & shit like that

6. Boodah

Boodah Dirty Dozen Crew

Cut-off jeans are my next endeavor.

7. injury

injury 12oz Loyalist

Just did that actually & can advise, i'll post flicks. easy as hell.

i think i may just do darts on the plain-colored shirts. the patterned shirts may be a lost cause.

8. catdick

catdick New Jack

9. catdick

catdick New Jack

10. catdick

catdick New Jack

maybe ill start trying to do cut and sew soon .... need to take a class

11. Schnitzel

Schnitzel Dirty Dozen Crew

anybody got any idea on where to get decent customised badges like you used to sew on your denim vest.
    these sort of things
    [​IMG]

I found a bunch of cool old 1980's era buckethats that would have been given out at the footy but they have a drink maker's name on them (not a beer maker's name that might have been cool) and I want to customise them up to punt off.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  12. injury

injury 12oz Loyalist

Reckon ebay could help you there. if shipping is outlandish i'm sure one of us (even me) could help.

thread relevant: since i posted this i lost way more weight and now actually fit pretty comfortably into a men's M, so that tailoring need is less substantial. still want to make this one polo military shirt into some patched-out overshirt or something.

13. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

[​IMG]

Chicken skin suit. Yes, real.

14. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

Ha! I have the old denim jacket & vest retired in the closet, has the patches & pins. I think I have the Live After Death one and the Jump In The Fire.

15. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

i started making my own clothes in 2010.
    i'd say i've gotten pretty good.

made a raincoat this year, and at the end of last year completed a dress with pockets, belt loops, gathers and a collar.
    my next big challenge will be jeans. prolly make a pair this spring or summer

dunno. tailoring clothes is a good thing i guess.
    but if i had to sew shit i bought, i wouldn't wanna pay much for it.

is anyone still looking at this thread?
    shit is so jumbled.