Seeking

Milton

I'm working on some canvases, I've been doing a lot of the one color canvas thing using mostly acrylics and lots of layers. But I want to do a series where there is the one color and then an image that blends into that color and looks like it's coming from behind the single color. It's kind of difficult to explain, but I remember seing some of your canvases in grey with a bright color coming from underneath and it's sort of like that, I guess.

I'm not trying to take your secret formula, I'm just worndering if you have any idea how I can do something like I tried to describe above... Glazes, lots of layers, I'm at a loss.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

umm, im not sure exactly what you're looking for, but i'd say that layers is probably a good place to start. also toying with the transparancy of the paint is good. get some gel medium and vary the ammount of paint you add to it. maybe get a couple different finishes of the stuff (gloss, flat, satin, etc). you just gotta work shit alot.

if you want to give me a sort of rough sketch or any examples of stuff youve already done, maybe i can give you better advice. i kinda think i know what you're talking about, but im not sure. get at me.

you can also build transparencys by using mixture od water clear floor wax. Use linoleum clear acrilyc floor wax (its not was but its used to cover linoleum as a protective coat). You can find it cheap in the cleaner isle of any groacery store.

I use it with water colors and gouache a lot. I have used acrylics much since they were kinda shit, but there are a lot better made these days.

so if you had a red flat background and did a, lets say a figure in black ontop. You could then take left over red, (so if you mix it mix more then youll need for initial background coat/s), and mix a lil water and floor was and then add in som ered so its pretty lose, and start working backover parts of the figure, building up layers thus creating a gradiant revealing the figure.

you also have some colors that are going to be more transparent than others when watered down.

Basicly from what i understand you want to do. You should have your canvas, paint the bright color(s) then on top use a watered down color, or even a thin layer of color*, on top which when it goes over the white canvas will look opaque.

Adding a gel medium, like seeking said, to the brighter colors will add raised effect to the brighter color making it look like its trying to burst threw the other color.

Keeping it simipler will make these techniques more effective.

I hope I made sense.

*pull the brush across with a small glob of paint so that it "fades" as you get to part you want to peek threw. kind of like a flare off a fat cap. you can ever use the same wipping motion.

Thank's everyone...

I'm trying to do a series with this type of thing as the background (for lack of a better example) TRITTICO-ROTHKO-CHAPEL.jpg

with very simple either black or white (or maybe navy or dark brown) hands that blend into the background but look sort of like part of the background...

I think I'm going to try what Heavy suggested with the addition of some gel medium to the foreground parts...

oh thats not to hard to do.

thin layers or reds: start out light/washed out and layer thin DRY BRUSHING the other brighter colors on top. let the colors show through each other. Then take the grayed black and come from the edges inwards with the same technique. the stiffer the bristels on the brush the easier it will be.