security guard jobs

Mr. Mang

i know security guards are the biggest douchebags on the planet, but i need a job right now and it might be cool if i happened to get a job in the cut somewhere where i didnt have to deal with people... you know like some 3rd shift job or looking after some warehouse. i applied for the job hoping i could just sit on my ass and draw and read all day. maybe post on here more.. i have a couple of friends who said they got to pick where they worked security and they told me they basically did whatever the hell they wanted... i just dont want some security work where i have to stand in front of some retail store..

does anyone know any specifics about security guard jobs? anyone worked one before?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That's the problem. When you go for a job were you dont really have to do anythign at the start you're like:

Yeah, this job is badass I'm getting paid todo absolutley FOrkall.

Then you work therefor a couple of months and you're all:

Fuck this man every minute here lasts an hour.

I've not been a security guard but I had a job babysitting a room full of servers. like watching paint dry but less exciting.

i dont know.. i could always bring something to read and i'm really into drawing. a pen and a sketchbook and im set.. hmmmmm.

my friends used to bring their x-box to work when they were on 3rd shift and play it... not that its likely most do that but still..

damn

Ok I have a mate that is a guard and...

When he first started he was only working at places like PizzaShops and shitty stuff like that.

Then they put him on TrainStations to keep away the drunks and bums and shit.

Then he worked at a CommuterTrain yard (lucky me) for a far while, which wasn't very fun for him but i got plenty of flicks haha.

and now he works at a GateHouse which requires sitting down and doing nothing at all pretty much, And well payed too.

My buddy works as a security guard but he drives around going

to alarm calls. He gets to the scene before the police and acts

as a 'point person' between the people at the scene and the police.

The hours are shit, but the pay seems moderate. Not something I would ever consider doing.

this kid that I used to go to highschool with dropped out of university to be a security guard.. He's solid fucking muscle and probably thought he was going to bring in the bitches hand over fist with the whole uniform gig... then he got stuck on door-duty at an HMV, hahahaha.

Another friend of mine does vehicle patrol around some industrial park. He basically sits in the guard office and watches TV/security monitors for most of the night, and then has to do periodical checks in the car.

Sounds boring.

i just finished some of my security classes yesterday. i'm about finished to become a guard but at least its an armed guard. i get to hang around on an armored car with shit loads of money. also if you're an armed guard alot of jobs start at $16.00 compared to $8.00 to be in lost prevention.

Originally posted by drsev@Apr 18 2005, 07:35 AM

That's the problem. When you go for a job were you dont really have to do anythign at the start you're like:

Yeah, this job is badass I'm getting paid todo absolutley FOrkall.

Then you work therefor a couple of months and you're all:

Fuck this man every minute here lasts an hour.

This is so true. The idea of having nothing to do sounds awesome, but once you're actually doing it, you'll want to shoot yourself from boredom....

i was a security guard for over a year and half when i was 18-19.

i was still skating back then, so it was the funniest thing to see myself in a rent a cop uniform.

i let a ton of friend sget by with skating in the places i worked (bank parking lots at the beginning), then i got a cushy job guarding a plant and doing some side work at sorority mixers. free beer, hot dumb chicks, then go back to working a ta plant and being alone for 12 h9our shifts.

did alot of reading, never had any trouble with anyone, but my c0-workers, the people who were serious about it, and thought the rent a pork uniform made them cops...well, they had alot of trouble trying to flex something they didn't have.

i, on the other hand, got free smokes out of it (would trade for letting people park at that bank i mentioned), free beer at parties because i was cool, and made copies of my ass on the copiers at that plant.

it can be fun, but watch your ass around those people who take it seriously. they make it crappy. play mind games with them to entertain yourself.