seasonal layups

TURBO DOG

sometime through summer months we had a layup that got like 4 rows of boxcars that were 15-20 long on each row..it was like this all through the spring and summer into the fall and the beginning of the winter..it doesnt start getting cold here until likelate december and january..i was thinking this might exist cause i had similar experiences with other old layups that were packed during the winter or summer or vice versa..so i was wondering do seasonal layups exist more than we think?? and maybe thats why a lot of layups are more full at certain points of the year..if you know any information regarding this topic let me know! thank you!!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

It might depend on the economy. The business Year is divided into 4 Quarters, alot of times alot more freight is shipped in one of the quarters than the others, causing alot more carloads to go out at a certain time of the year. Leading to the local layup to be more active when the local businesses are, and dead when the businesses are shipping any freight.

Also during peak shipping months, large humpyards have to move alot more cars, leading surrounding layups and smaller yards to so serve as holding areas for the large humpyard.

turbo dog

yes i drink turbo dog beer all the time hence the name...anyhow, it just seems like this you know the whole seasonal thing...i dont know it was just a thought..it just seems a lot of the freshest boxcar spots out here are always like packed during our summer and spring months!!

Guest rob deer

I just thought turbo dog was a lesbian cop beer?

Research on the net what your lay ups are, and depending on where you are and what your major exports are, and you should be able to find out when your area will be nice. I for one wish I lived in the south to be there for the cotton harvests.

rap city's got factoids?

cotton harvests

this one layup right over the state line is definitely seasonal..like during the cotton months you shoulda seen the amount of freight that was stocked in this lay up...the freshest boxcars in the south were there...hit me back at fortyouncer1@hotmail.com if you would like to know more about this.....yo rob, where you from??? and no turbo dog is not a lesbian cop beer....itd this beer from abita springs louisiana...it is damn good!!

Hey Turbo, I have a question...Im just curious, but what kind of boxcars are used for Cotton service? Don't these cotton shipments go to large seaports for export service? Or do they go to domestic fabric plants? Around my way, I usually see the cotton bales shipped by truck, I used to work for a trucking company that shipped alot of fabric materials both raw and finished.

Guest rob deer

you can definitely blow cottonseed into any box car, especially a railbox for instance...the one middle america place where I saw the cotton cars was a pet food bagging facility, I would asume that they used it to make the pull strings on the pet food bags? I'm just guessing. they'd come through already hit up often with stuff from the bronx to the bay. the layup would get a couple cars at a time, a large selection of older flats or waffles bought from the big 7 turned into privately owned restamped boxes, or any one of the big 7. I've always attributed the glut of A2m railboxes to this but I don't know shit really.

bosco

the bars that were over at this ;ay up were all just standard mississippi exports...MSE.....and regular old augustine railroads OAR...they are used all for shipping pulp and lumber products....they also ship stuff from these mills by truck as well....but i read somewhere they were shipping out cotton from them during the season!! so those were the kids i saw they were using!

OK makes sense, I was just curious b/c some railroads have certain cars for specific commodities. Like the Southern railroad back in the 70's had special boxcars for tobacco loading, CP has their newsprint cars, etc...

But if the ports are that close, depending on how much cotton is being moved, it might be cheaper and faster to ship by truck to the port...unless these cotton shipments in the boxcars are routed to a westcoast port? Do you see repeat boxcars coming back to your spot once they leave?

all the layups around here seem kind of seasonal, although this year theres been more cars right now then there was in the summer... a lot of boxcars and hoppers (we seem to be big on methylmethacrylate, whatever that is)... depends on the spot too I suppose, some spots seem to have cars year round

yes i do see a lot of the same cars coming back...well i did during that time...we hit a whole line out there it moved and came back almost all the cars we hit but the side our pieces were on was flipped around...they were only gone about 2 weeks during this season..then they left again and never came back!! we caught a lot of west coast and east coast people on these cars too though!! anyhow yeah so i know they were going not that far for a short time and then coming back!! but then leaving again and never coming back!!

Not neccessarily, I live on this one line, and I see boxcars that are loaded w/ bagged clay and marble, once these boxcars are loaded they ride out to a port of exit, these boxcars then end up rolling back to the same industry with freight from the port, then this cycle usually repeats. Sometimes cars are freed loose from this cycle and others are added on, but it depends on the economy...

cascade...you emailed me once, but i never hit you back...i dont think we know each other, but i think we might know some of the same folks..hit me back..

and on this note of seasonal layups....i dont know if its the winter or what, but all my spots are dry as fuck.

^^^^^cascade..got your email, and tried to email you back a couple of times, but they were all returned to me...im not either of those dudes, but know em well....try me again from a different address if you need anything...if not, come on and visit...im sure we'll hang out.

Archived