se7en

Guest imported_Tesseract

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Dusty Lipschitz

HATE is one of my all time favorite movies...

------------------

Now back to your regularly scheduled re-programming...

Guest imported_Tesseract

There is a freaking detail:

Notice the similarity on the arms of the cop(from the hate) with the arms of the man inside the snake...

Its like those 2 are the same picture.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

french film

HATE

Hate

Winner of the César for Best French Film of 1995!

"Makes Kids look like Sesame Street" -- Film Comment.

"Extremely intelligent... it builds to a stunning crescendo." -- Variety.

One of the most controversial (and popular) films to come out of Europe in years is writer-director Mathieu Kassovitz's stylized and stunning Hate -- an angry roar of a film that addresses the mutual mistrust, contempt and hatred between the police and the disenfranchised youth who populate the banlieue, the faceless working-class suburbs around Paris. Often compared to Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing, Hate netted Kassovitz the Best Director Prize at last year's Cannes Film Festival.

The hard-hitting tale covers less than 24 crucial hours in the lives of three male buddies. The film opens with an impressive documentary montage of demonstrations in which angry crowds clash with France's brutal riot police. The riot is a result of a 16-year-old Arab boy hovering close to death after police "questioned" him. As title cards precisely clock the passing of the following day, Kassovitz's edgy, intimate camera follows the three ethnically diverse friends: relatively up-beat, hyper Said is of North African heritage; Vinz, his dense lug of a buddy, is a lower-class Jew; more mature Hubert is black. As the day passes and tensions continue to mount in the aftermath of the riot, Vinz finds a loaded gun lost by one of the riot police -- the stage is set for a speed- (and hate-) fueled odyssey through night-time Paris where an unforeseen conclusion packs a wallop. "Scripted, acted and shot [in breathtaking black-and-white] with sit-up-and-take-notice verve, Hate seems a shoo-in for critical and public support.... Kassovitz has achieved a mature tone and narrative cohesion [that shows he] is a multitalented force to be reckoned with." -- Variety.

(France, 1995, subtitles, 97 min).

Hate (La Haine)

*** (No Rating)

Vinz: Vincent Cassel

Hubert: Hubert Kounde

Said: Said Taghmaoui

Samir: Karim Belkhadra

Written and directed by Mathieu Kassovitz. Running time: 93 minutes. No MPAA rating. In French with English subtitles.

``Society is like a man falling off a building. As he passes each floor, he calls out, ``So far, so good!'' -Story quoted in ``Hate''

By Roger Ebert

Mathieu Kassovitz is a 29-year-old French director who in his first two films has probed the wound of alienation among France's young outsiders. His new film ``Hate'' tells the story of three young men--an Arab, an African and a Jew--who spend an aimless day in a sterile Paris suburb, as social turmoil swirls around them and they eventually get into a confrontation with the police. If France is the man falling off the building, they are the sidewalk.

In Kassovitz's first film, ``Cafe au Lait'' (1994), he told the story of a young woman from the Caribbean who summons her two boyfriends--one African, one Jewish--to announce that she is pregnant. That film, inspired by Spike Lee's ``She's Gotta Have It,'' was more of a comedy, but with ``Hate,'' also about characters who are not ethnically French, he has painted a much darker vision.

In America, where for all of our problems, we are long accustomed to being a melting pot, it is hard to realize how monolithic most European nations have been--especially France, where Frenchness is almost a cult, and a political leader like Jean-Marie Le Pen can roll up alarming vote totals with his anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant diatribes. The French neo-Nazi right wing lurks in the shadows of ``Hate,'' providing it with an unspoken subtext for its French audiences. (Imagine how a moviegoer from Mars would misread a film like ``Driving Miss Daisy'' if he knew nothing about Southern segregation.)

The three heroes of ``Hate'' are Vinz (Vincent Cassel), Jewish, working class; Hubert (Hubert Kounde), from Africa, a boxer, more mature than his friends, and Said (Said Taghmaoui), from North Africa, more lighthearted than his friends. That they hang out with one another reflects the fact that in France, friendships are as likely to be based on class as race.

These characters inhabit a world where much of the cultural furniture has been imported from America. They use words like ``homeboy.'' Vinz gives Said a ``killer haircut, like in New York.'' Vinz does a De Niro imitation (``Who you talkin' to?''). There's break-dancing in the movie. Perhaps they like U.S. culture because it is not French, and they do not feel very French, either.

During the course of less than 24 hours, they move aimlessly through their suburb and take a brief trip to Paris. They have run-ins with the cops, who try to clear them off a rooftop hangout that has become such a youth center, it even has its own hot dog stand. They move on the periphery of riots that have started after the police shooting of an Arab youth. When his younger sister's school is burned down, Vinz's Jewish grandmother warns,``You start out like that, you'll end up not going to temple.''

What underlies everything they do is the inescapable fact that they have nothing to do. They have no jobs, no prospects, no serious hopes of economic independence, no money, few ways to amuse themselves except by hanging out. They are not bad kids, not criminals, not particularly violent (the boxer is the least violent), but they have been singled out by age, ethnicity and appearance as probable troublemakers. Treated that way by the police, they respond--almost whether they want to or not.

As a filmmaker, Kassovitz has grown since his first film. His black-and-white cinematography camera is alert, filling the frame with meaning his characters are not aware of. Many French films place their characters in such picturesque settings--Paris, Nice--that it is easy to see them as more colorful than real. But the concrete suburbs where Kassovitz sets his film (the same sterile settings that were home to Eric Rohmer's cosmically different ``Boyfriends and Girlfriends'' in 1987) give back nothing. These are empty vistas of space--architectural deserts--that flaunt their hostility to the three young men, as if they were designed to provide no cover.

The film's ending is more or less predictable and inevitable, but effective all the same. The film is not about its ending. It is not about the landing, but about the fall. ``Hate'' is, I suppose, a Generation X film, whatever that means, but more mature and insightful than the American Gen X movies. In America, we cling to the notion that we have choice, and so if our Gen X heroes are alienated from society, it is their choice--it's their ``lifestyle.'' In France, Kassovitz says, it is society that has made the choice.

------------------

Guest imported_Tesseract

I was wondering if you saw that film in the states.Glad to see some of you did.

Anyway his latest movie is called "Crimson rivers" and though its not compared with "hate" its fucking great.

personaly i didnt care much for hate.

as far as this pic goes:

3.jpg

the girl is naked because her village was hit with napalm and her clothes were covered in it; she tore them off to escape the flames. this pic won a pulitzer prize award and afterwards our govt. tried to claim the girl was burned in a 'hibatchi accident' and not as a result of us dropping napalm and incinerating the whole village (as seen in the background.) i saw an interview with the girl a little while but i dont remember much from it... just thought someone might care...

Guest imported_Tesseract

She was hospitalised in the states,she currently lives in the states.Her back is burned all over

um... i dont know... i might like it if i saw it now... it was just strange to me... they were all trying to act like they were in the middle of beat street or something. it seemed sooooo phony. like if a bunch of white kids made their own version of 'boys in the hood.' i mean, im sure it was pretty realistic or whatever, but still... there are alot of white kids doing drive by's in arkansas, it still seems strange though..

but again, its been a couple years since ive seen it... maybe its great and i just forgot, who knows...

Originally posted by seeking innocence:

personaly i didnt care much for hate.

as far as this pic goes:

3.jpg

the girl is naked because her village was hit with napalm and her clothes were covered in it; she tore them off to escape the flames. this pic won a pulitzer prize award and afterwards our govt. tried to claim the girl was burned in a 'hibatchi accident' and not as a result of us dropping napalm and incinerating the whole village (as seen in the background.) i saw an interview with the girl a little while but i dont remember much from it... just thought someone might care...

I saw an interview with her too. Her name is Kim Phuk. I believe she published a book about her life (being a famous icon from the Vietnam war, and such). At least if I remember correctly that is. I could be completely off base. Her story was very interesting, but also so painful. She almost had me in tears.

------------------

you are beautiful, just not on the inside

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

tesser, i caught the movie on video. blockbuster prolly doesnt carry it, lol, but there are indie stores around my way that have superior B and indie selections. i stumbled across it myself.

seeking, i thought the movie was really well done. especially in the aspect of them wanting to imitate the whole Beat Street lifestyle/culture/subculture/style. i know you have been to other countries and SURELY you recognized in real life they eat up anything american. to the point it's sickening. so to me that aspect of the film didnt come off as cheap, forced or unrealistic. i thought it was about kids, and those kids happend to emulate that whole scene. i'm not attacking you, and you said you may need to watch it again, i was just offering my perspective.

------------------

Guest sTress

c'est l'histoire d'un mec qui tombe d'un imeuble de 50 étages.

tout au long de sa chute, il se répète:"jusque là, tout va bien, jusque là, tout va bien..."

mais l'important, c'est pas la chute... c'est l'atterissage.

kaboom!

-La Haine

dusty, i know there are kids all the world over that act like that, i just think the whole thing is phony. i think its phony for them to front like that. the portrayel of them may have been accurate, but that just makes it worse. they're all living in some time warp thts both long gone and far removed from their lives. they're learning it all from movies and cd's put out 20 some years ago. thats like if i walked around everyday acting like i was a samurai or soemthing. its ridiculous. if you arent on a snowy mountain or flying an open air cockpit plane dont wear goggles, its just silly.

but again, im probably focusing too much on that and forgetting about the rest of the movie completely.

Archived