Scribble Jam Flics On www.omnimix.com

laffinginside

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yep. That navigation is 100% shitty. Too complicated for your own good. How many clicks/ choices before you seen some flicks? 4? And then no "next>>" link? Plus with a drop down it's almost impossible to keep track of what you've seen and what you haven't. With a big list of flicks like that it's a pain in the ass.

Also, did you pay Al Williamson for the C3PO image you stole without credit for your front page? I hate that shit.

------------------

buddha bless you

the navigation is quicker than a thumbnail.

we thought it was a quicker way to get a full size image up.

i could see your problem with it. i'm sorry if was pain in the ass. i think it is still functional.

as far as the c3po character. the webmaster put it there..i would imagine that the dude that drew it is straight on money. while www.omnimix.com really doesn't make much money except on cd's sales here and there.

Yes, it probably is quicker loading than a thumbnail gallery (although I think thumbnail galleries are the best way to go for images since the user gets to preview what they're getting for their click.)

But a list of text links (which presents exact the same information you're now presenting) would be even quicker to load (since there wouldn't be all the extra form markup) and would allow people to see "visited" links. Which means people could track visually what flicks they've seen and which ones they haven't.

That's ignoring the "too many choices to make before you see anything" problem, of course. That front page link should lead right into a gallery. People clicking on that link already made the decision that they wanted to see some scribble photos. Making them choose to see scribble photos again, once they've alreay made the choice is silly.

And yes, I think about this stuff for a living.

------------------

buddha bless you

[This message has been edited by mud_buddha (edited 08-28-2001).]

Originally posted by laffinginside:

i never thought about people would want to track what they saw.

That's why browser makers render "regular" (new, unvisited) and "visited" links a different color. By default they're blue and purple respectively.

------------------

buddha bless you

Ok lets start out with the splash page.

Why do you need one? it really doens't tell me much about your site.

If you feel that you need on why not do a really cool flash piece that will showcase content and information about your site?

Why are you using frames? Frames are just paint ugly! You can do the same thing without frames.

Your navigation....ummm I'm lost! I'm not just talking about the Graff section. I'm talking about the package. You have these little icons that are the same color of the nav type. (which it makes it hard to read) Also I would have used a thinner font.

Also I would have the homepage showcase each section more. Not just html news updated format. make it stand out more. Make the user want to click on it. The homepage should be the place that has more information. You can showcase a different writer or MC each week. there are scripts you can use that will update it for you.

What does that .gif of mario brothers do? anything? or is it there just to waste space?

I would also add more photos(not just graff) I mean it's all type. It does nothing for me.

Are you an a Mac or a P.C.? There are a few scripts that will do all your thumbnails and html pagess on the fly....hell even PhotoShop 6.0 does it for you.....Do thumb nails! They work. I agree with MB above it's frustrating to navigate like that!

4 clicks to view a photo that I might not of wanted to see to begin with is NUTS! I will not visit this site again. sorry! You have to keep the user in mind when putting together a site. Do you want to click 4 times to see ONE photo?

Also to get back to the overall nav of the site I would reduce the size of your logo. give it more breathing room and maybe introduce some color! YES Color will not hurt your site it will make more enjoyable to view.

well let me stop....sorry!

Now who do I charge for my time? And for eye Surgery?

Peace

------------------

WhataJerk

--------------------------

The Writer You Love To

Hate

i'm more about content than design.

we offer scribble jam pictures not a bid for best design of the month.

you will never visit our site again..ok we must not have anything that interests you.

reasons why someone would

-scribble jam flics

-columbus,ohio graffiti flics

-the orhanage freestyle(slug,eyedea,blueprint,illogic)

-video footage of copywite battling on the street of chicago

-video footage of cage,jzone,eyedea,windabreeze of atoms,greenhouse effect,illogic,the sebutones, columbus hip hop expo battles

-hilarious interview on slug

-interviews of camu tao,rjd2, and compnay flow,

-event listings for columbus hip hop events

-a message bored.

i think our site has a lot to offer that others sites don't to people who are interested in graffiti or hip hip.

regardless if you don't like the extra 2-5 seconds the front page takes.

you are complaining about things that take very little time. the flic load up is a lot quicker that site with thumbnails.

usually thumbnails only show you part of the piece anyway.

i would rather see the whole the fast as fuck that part of the piece while waiting for slaw ass thumbs to load.

its a good site if you actually like things.

its moves fast. its just a new way of doing things.

laffing inside www.omnimix.com

[This message has been edited by laffinginside (edited 08-28-2001).]

Ok dude! Your getting pissed! WOW! Relax. Just giving you feedback! You don't have to have a Award Winning Design site... Grow up and take feedback....Instead of being a little cry baby! I didn't say IT SUCKS! (LIke it does)

Sorry Maybe I work on a lot of site....and I thought it would be good to give feedback!

i just thought are being harsh.

and you called yourself whatajerk.

you made it sound like the site was a combo of pen and pixel covers fueled by hamster wheels.

the shit moves quick as fuck between photos.

quicker than any other graff site i've been

after you bring up on photo it moves really quickly. you just have to click 4 time to get to the first photo.

i have to click three times to get to this message bored.

i think its fair to defend omnimix from what i think is a lot of overreacting.

its just a new way of doing things on a bumming cigarettes budget.

peace,

laffing inside www.omnimix.com

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

it's interesting, but if i'm not mistaken, dood (laffinginside), posted his site and asked for input before and i think he received very little.

now here he is offering fliks from a very special scribble (nace *rip*, gkae, etc...) and everyone is missing the point. the critiques are constructive, but seem misplaced.

http://www.omnimix.com/flics/misc/scribble2001/glory_1.jpg'>

GLORY- what a name...

http://www.omnimix.com/flics/misc/scribble2001/vizie_1.jpg'>

MUNE said in another thread he is becoming a big fan.

ditto.

http://www.omnimix.com/flics/misc/scribble2001/gkae_1.jpg'>

cuz. duh.

------------------

Now back to your regularly scheduled re-programming...

mad buddha..i don't design sites. i don't even own a computer.

that shit is too techincal for me.

so as long as i can use something while i'm at the library, then i don't notice the flaws.

i disagree with this sites design being detriment to the content.

like i said constructive critism is cool.

i just disagree with the idea that the site is super difficult. i don't know how this shit works.

oh well. time to eat lunch and get out of this damn library.

thanks for the pointers. i'll ask my dude to read them.

good day,

laffing inside

Originally posted by Dusty Lipschitz:

it's interesting, but if i'm not mistaken, dood (laffinginside), posted his site and asked for input before and i think he received very little.

I missed that one and here, well, it just started to come out. I can write about this stuff with very little effort, so sometimes I run off at the mouth. You're right though, it probably is misplaced.

------------------

buddha bless you

Man i like that site. He's got his design right. The guy knows his shit. If u cant navigate that then how did u stumble here? Its not that fukin hard if ya can read!?! Neways i gots a site too but at the mo my damn server r messin up my gifs for sum reason. dey work fine on my comp.. nd dey still havent repiled to my e-mail. Check it out neway .. http://www.dublinwriterz.f2s.com

Archived