screen printing?

Giving Tree

anyone got ANY info or links on this shit? i wanna start doing shirts-fabric posters for a project im working on for my masters and i cant seem to come across anyone professional enough to explain to me the process or teach me or show me quality work vs. shit or equipment or ways to do it blah blah blah blah...

basically i just want some good screenprinting links, either people who print them for small order online type service or a screenprinter's guild type homepage or just like an online digest for people in the industry.. any help is GREATLY appreciated.. again this is for a clothing/art project i HOPE to blow up... so possibly clothing /art line?

thanks in advance.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

you should search in the Yard...

and, basically, if you want to learn how, you should go get a job or find somebody that you can hang out with a bunch... it's a production process and very few around here can take you start to finish...

*and nobody can help you deal with the little problems that pop up in the middle of a run, and there are quite a few to deal with even doing a 1 color job

Originally posted by Smart

you should search in the Yard...

and, basically, if you want to learn how, you should go get a job or find somebody that you can hang out with a bunch... it's a production process and very few around here can take you start to finish...

*and nobody can help you deal with the little problems that pop up in the middle of a run, and there are quite a few to deal with even doing a 1 color job

good call...

i just wondered the logistics of possibly buying my own machine.. i have a decent sum of money from some art grants i won but only about 10k and really really want to continue my work in this direction... so thats why i asked on a broader level..

what kind of service would i want to look for if i were to use the yellow pages or something to that effect? like basic printing services? or does it have a more formal - technical name.........

oh and search is fucked up for me or i'd do it.. i always get whacked out results.

look up Screen Printing in the yellow pages...

as far as equipment... You're gonna need a computer to output art, though you can do it on a copier or even use stencils, and some vellum (except the stencil plan), an exposure unit to shoot screens, though you could use sunlight, and for printing, you could do well with an old, used but well maintained Hopkins (or other brand) 4 color press... you'll need a dryer,as well... if you shopped around you could probably get all that for between $2,000 and $5,000 bucks depending on condition, and deal...

still, you need to know a bit about how each machine works before you can really decide if it's in working order and applicable to your uses...

Smart- Are there any inks that you can use that will cure under lower heat? Or are there ways to cure a small run of shirts in something like a home oven? I just want to do some small shit, and dont want to buy a dryer. Also, could multiple flashes of a flash dyer work? thanks broski..

-slightly

yep, you can use a hand flasher... about 2 inches away and constant motion for about 30 seconds or so... maybe a double shot like that depending...

no matter what, it's not gonna cure as hard or even, so the print won't last as long but should still last a couple years at least...

Guest diggity

I just did a small run of shirts, worked out pretty well for my setup, 2 clamps, some hinges and a small table. bought all my supplies (inks, emulsion, and screens) in a bundled pack from an art store, cost me like 25 bucks.

Originally posted by Smart

yep, you can use a hand flasher... about 2 inches away and constant motion for about 30 seconds or so... maybe a double shot like that depending...

no matter what, it's not gonna cure as hard or even, so the print won't last as long but should still last a couple years at least...

yeah that will work out perfect, All i need is for them to be able to sit in a stack for a couple fo days until i get them to work and can run them under the real dryer.