1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Screen Printing?

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Fugazi, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Fugazi

Fugazi 12oz Senior Member

Screen Printing?

Discussion started by Fugazi - Apr 15, 2002

I searched for it, and read, but I still have questions. Say I've got about $2k to spend. What kind of setup can I get, and what kind of quality can I expect? I don't really want to get into screen printing unless I'm going to be able to put together a shirt with a nice looking 4 color burner on it. I don't want to bother with iron on stuff, it looks tacky to me. I'd like to be able to produce shirts in quantity, at high quality, and do it my self. Is this possible. Anyone know?

Fugazi - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie 12oz Elite Member

vinyl junkie - Replied Apr 15, 2002

if you want super high quality get a printing comp. to do it for you... i'm all about DIY, but unless youwant to do each one by hand. it's just so much easier, and cheaper... a screening comp has machines that actually screen it and all that... if yer doing it yerself you gotta deal with breaking the image into four colors and getting the gradation down (done with a computer and expensive software), then you gotta make all the different screens, then you gotta lay each shirt or whatever, screen it, and then move it to the next screen and lay it perfectly so's it matches up...
    i got a buddy who werks in a screening shop... it's a lot of werk... but you can get it done cheap if you let a shop do it... this guy does all the shirts for my tattoo shop, and he does it in exchange for tattoo werk...

vinyl junkie - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  3. I Luv Roo

I Luv Roo 12oz Member

I Luv Roo - Replied Apr 15, 2002

you don't really know much about it, do you? If you did you wouldn't be saying that it's cheaper to get a shop to do it...

I Luv Roo - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  4. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie 12oz Elite Member

vinyl junkie - Replied Apr 15, 2002

full color prints? orders over a thousand or so? he says he's got all this money, i assume he wants alot done... and if he's doing the mass production i assume he wants to do, he'd be buying machines, which is alot of money, not to mention paying for the space to store and operate them... if he wants to "save" money and do it himself on hand screens, he can feel free... but it's gonna end up in many hours of anger and frustration, and a very small end run...

(also, my shop's shirts come out to about 85cents a piece, so...:rolleyes:

vinyl junkie - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  5. "inkie"

"inkie" 12oz Senior Member

"inkie" - Replied May 27, 2006

what about screen printing skateboards?
    hard or easy

"inkie" - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  6. skirmfirm

skirmfirm 12oz Elite Member

skirmfirm - Replied May 27, 2006

i tried to buy one off ebay that did things up to about a foot wide, like stickers and shirts.

But i honestly dont have a clue how they work,

and whats with these massive boards, like buff monster has, that they put in, or is that silk screening, agghh i dunno.

skirmfirm - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  7. Soup BDC

Soup BDC 12oz Member

Soup BDC - Replied May 28, 2006

This thread comes up a lot. I'd like people to drop names, websites, shops and everything you guys know about screen printing.

I'm looking to get three or four one-off's printed, maybe a few copies of each.. How much is it going to run me? Anybody else doing this in the bay area?

Soup BDC - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  8. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

seeking - Replied May 28, 2006

theres another, more up to date, thread in duty free about screen printing.

printing decks requires some special shit that i know nothing about. i know it's a lot different set up though.

as for getting 'one off' things printed, you cant really do that with screen printing unless you're willing to waste a shit load of time and money. you're best bet is to get some iron on transfer paper for desktop printers, print out whatever you want then iron it on. the difference is literally $10, vs. $200.

seeking - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages: