Screen Printing

sarcasm

So, I lately I have been thinking about making my own t-shirts.

Now, I know a lot of people are making their own shirts, and trying to slang

them over the net to try to make a quick buck, etc. But, everybody that I

do know, are having them custom made by a company for some couple

hundreds of dollars. Now, you can call me cheap, but I rather not spend

the dough to have someone else make a t-shirt for me, while I know that

if I spend some time practicing how to screen print, I'll be able to make

whatever I please, and make it look professional at the same time.

I do not plan on selling the t-shirts I make, but I want to do this to keep

me occupied and let me make a shirt that I want to wear.

Ok. Well, I have been doing my homework and looking up shit online to

get a feel for what the whole screen printing process actually is.

This "kit" from dickblick.com is pretty much what everybody is suggesting

to start off and what not. Comes with screens, frames, ink, etc. but that

shit is expensive by itself.

44907-SBww.jpg

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anybody on this forum, and I can bet

my pennies that at least one person here screen prints t-shirts, has

done this whole thing. Has anybody at least taken a class in highschool

graphics class? Eh, if anybody can help me get rolling on this, any

input would be appreciated.

NOTE: I am not trying to make money off of this, I simply want to know

the process of screen printing and any tips and tricks. Recomendations,

etc...

Also, I feel this is a good time for me to start printing b/c I just found

out I have a pretty nice connect for american apparel t-shirts. and those

darn things are soft.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that kit is bullshit.

screen printing is cool, but to be honest, theres kind of alot involved. id suggest taking a community college class and taking advantage of their equipment. if you're really hellbent on doing it yourself, look around on the web for tutorials and stuff. there is one site in particular (i forget the name) but its a big, almost corporate kind of site. it has write ups on everything youll ever need to know, and 100,000 things you wont.

good luck.

i was actually considering taking a community college class over

the summer just like you said. i was also planning on calling this

craft store by my house that holds craft classes ever so often. but

i checked their website, and they didn't mention anything about

screen printing.

but if you could be so kind, and try to find that web-

site, i'd appeciate it a lot.

Well, here's what you asked for. Sort of... I'm doing this because I care and I have about a half an hour to kill. It's just too hot to go out right now. Plus, I'm interested as well...

http://www.reddingk.com/

"It's a fairly thorough guide to Xerography, Silkscreening and offset printing." Scroll all the way to the bottom and download the tutorial. You'll need Adobe Reader since the tutorial is in a .pdf format.

http://www.reddingk.com/img/reproguide.pdf

Here's the thingy...

Eh, goodluck.

Screen-printing is grate fun try looking round your local studios a lot off the time they run cores for beginners and have good quality beds go on the beginners cores then you might able to join and use all there equipment so you don’t clutter up your house with beds, dryers, and developing rooms

Originally posted by Yellow Feets@May 12 2005, 03:55 AM

Yeah no problem. Looking forward to those results. :) I'm about to do the same but it sounds like a lot of hassle. Whatever. Learning is key. But what I really need to do is lean how to use photoshop and all that other junk. Ugh.

peace

yeah man. i suck at photoshop too. all i know how to do is play w/the

cropping tool, and the brightness/contrast tool. other than that, im better

off with ms paint.

i'm gonna want to see your stuff too, better jump on it brother

Originally posted by InfamousOne@May 12 2005, 05:15 AM

are yall serious??? its reall not that hard... i do screenprint 4 people.. i have made over 100 shirts... i sell them 4 $25 each...i will have flick 2 morrow... chech back later...

i will be wanting to see your stuff and ask you questions if needed

Originally posted by sarcasm+May 12 2005, 12:21 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sarcasm - May 12 2005, 12:21 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-InfamousOne@May 12 2005, 05:15 AM

are yall serious??? its reall not that hard... i do screenprint 4 people.. i have made over 100 shirts... i sell them 4 $25 each...i will have flick 2 morrow... chech back later...

i will be wanting to see your stuff and ask you questions if needed

[/b]

im gonna post em when i get off work later tonite.... yall can ask questions if needed.... dont enroll in any calsses though... its really not that hard...

alright here we go......

STEP 1... go to ur local wal-mart and buy this. $9.97

Picture207.jpg

make sure its the exact same thing as image above... use DARK t-shirt transfers because if u use the light ones the picture will fade fast..

STEP 2 : if u have a very nice scanner/printer in one copy the image u want into the scanner and run some test prints to c if the imagetakes up the whole sheet. then replace the regular paper with the avery dark t-shirt transfer paper when u get the picture u want on the shirt the size u want it. OR if ur like me n cant afford a $300 scanner/printer go to local office depot n use theirs... someone WILL come up 2 u n ask what ur doin so just tell them ur makin copies n u will take them to checkout n pay for them when ur done(i just leave), then they will say "u know when have a center that can do that for u".. just tell them u would rather do it yourself... then they will leave..

STEP 3- go home and iron the shirt u want the image on and make sure ALL the wrinkles r out, even the smallest one will mess the shirt up. when ur done ironing the shirt peel the back of the iron on transfer sheet off and place it in the middle or wherever u want it(i measure it to make sure it even..) then place the thin protection paper over the image and iron it, make sure the iron dont touch the unprotected image or it will melt... make sure iron is set 2 cotton.. pick up the protection paper every 15 seconds and flip it over.. when all the white bubbles on the image r gone that mean ur done.... ITS THAT EASY, NO CLASSES OR NOTHING, hit me up if yall have questions...

nice shit infamous. thing is though, i wanted to use the actual screen with the ink, not the iron on version. don't get me wrong, i'll be for sure getting some of that iron stuff to get a picture of whatever on a tee... that chewey is dope as hell. but i wanted to do

the actual "lift, ink, press, ink some more" type shit.

i'll PM u soon

i bumped into a couple of guys who both had t-shirts they'd made themselves just by spaypainting onto the cloth with stencils. both shirts were madly inticate and athough they were a year old the designs didn't look any more faded that proper t-shirts

i used this paint thats designed specifically for staying permanent on cloth.

It was called like "heat press" paint or something, and after that shit dries, you iron it hardcore and the heat makes the paint stay permanent. The shirts feel professionally made afterwards, it's nice.

/gucci shades up on my braids when I escalade