SCIENTOLOGY

High Priest

I'll be honest, i know nothing about scientology. A few year's ago, i lived off of gower and sunset in hollywood right near a very large building owned by L. Ron Hubbard ( or perhaps dedicated to?) scientology. Seemed to be a very nice place, tho i never stopped by to take a closer look.. it just happened to be across from an italian restraunt i frequented, so i caught glimpses here and there. I know nothing about the ideology and really have little interest in learning more, but im curious what other 12ozers opinions are about said religion. Anyway, i'll post a link to the "official" website with some of the highlight's.

yep, here it is.

* I looked for the basic info and the majority of it seemed to just be pushing sale's of book's etc written by L. Ron Hubbard, im not in the mood to deal with it anymore.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the official site's description of scientology:

Scientology: Scio (Latin) know, logos (Greek) the word or outward form by which the inward thought is expressed and made known. Thus, Scientology means knowing about knowing.

The full story of the development and codification of Scientology can be found in scores of books, more than 15,000 pages of technical writing and more than 3,000 taped lectures. All told, these works represent a lifetime of research by L. Ron Hubbard to discover a workable means to set men spiritually free — to replace ignorance with knowledge, doubts with certainty and misery with happiness.

Today, the fruits of L. Ron Hubbard’s work are available to anyone who wishes to reach for them. And no matter how different Scientologists may be — whether teachers and businessmen, housewives and athletes, artists and secretaries — they hold one vital factor in common: having significantly bettered their lives, they know that Scientology works.

Nothing in Scientology, however, need be taken on faith. Its truths are self-evident, its principles are easily demonstrable and its technology can be seen at work in any church of Scientology. One need only open the door and step through.

Scientology is a twentieth-century religion. It comprises a vast body of knowledge extending from certain fundamental truths, and prime among those truths: Man is a spiritual being endowed with abilities well beyond those which he normally envisages. He is not only able to solve his own problems, accomplish his goals and gain lasting happiness, but also to achieve new states of awareness he may never have dreamed possible.

In one form or another, all great religions have held the hope of spiritual freedom — a condition free of material limitations and misery. The question has always been, however, how does one reach such a state, particularly while still living amidst a frantic and often overwhelming society?

Although modern life seems to pose an infinitely complex array of problems, Scientology maintains that the solutions to those problems are basically simple and within every man’s reach. Difficulties with communication and interpersonal relationships, nagging insecurities, self-doubt and despair — each man innately possesses the potential to be free of these and many other concerns.

Scientology offers a pathway to greater freedom.

While the hope for such freedom is ancient, what Scientology is doing is new. The way it is organized is new. The technologies with which it can bring about a new state of being in man are likewise new.

Because Scientology addresses man as a spiritual being, it stands completely apart from other religions which see man as a product of his environment or his genes — fixed in the limitations under which he was born.

Rather, Scientology is the study and handling of the spirit in relationship to itself, universes and other life. Based upon the tradition of fifty thousand years of thinking men, it is built upon the fundamental truths of life. From these principles, exact methods by which one can improve conditions were derived; and unlike other efforts of improvement, which offered only rules by which men should live, Scientology offers real tools for use in everyday life. Thus, it does not depend upon a system of beliefs or faith. The emphasis is squarely on an exact application of its principles toward the improvement of one’s life and the world in which we live.

To understand exactly how Scientology is utilized, something should be known of the track of research L. Ron Hubbard traveled and the antecedent of Scientology — Dianetics.

In the late 1940s, pulp writer L. Ron Hubbard declared:

"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion"

Reader's Digest reprint, May 1980, p.1

Hubbard later created the Church of Scientology...

it's the new fad religion now a days.

thanks to old tom cruise everyone's gonna hop on it and act like they've been on it. stupid shit

we knew this guy who lived with his grandparrents and they had a scientology compound in their back yard.

he builds homes in montana now.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

they're assholes. when i was 15 they posed as survey takers at a busy boston trendy spot offering free IQ tests. at the urging of my brother we went to take the survey. they split us up, and their survey had nothing to do with IQ's. it was all questions about my family and psychiatric history and shit. after i turned it in, the results they came back with basically said that i hated my father, and if i bought a certain title for $15 my life would improve greatly. when i refused they basically didn't let me see my brother till i gave in, or at least that's how i remember it, so i did agree to buy the book but only when they changed the price to 5 bucks. i still get mail from them to this day, some magazine with L Ron himself on the cover every month, which is basically an advertisement for his books. recently, i got a letter from someone at their Boston facility which read something like, " (NAME) I just saw here that you bought so and so book and i was wondering how it worked out for you" this came in the mail this year and was the first personal contact ive had from them in ten years and in a completely unrelated matter my computer is fucked up because i held the shift key for more than five seconds

i'd seen things on tv about scientology for years. i recently moved to the "Sucka Free" city and those guys are everywhere with their stress tests. i love cults/religion/philosophy stuff, so it intrigues me, but they kinda weird me out. anybody see the ONION article about "FICTIONOLOGY?" It was hilarious, i'd post a link but the onion makes you pay to read their articles online, but they're free in print???

Originally posted by Tyler Durden@Jun 6 2005, 02:32 PM

Does anyone else remember when that slut Kristy said her Dad left her family because he couldnt force them to become scientoligists or some shit? No wonder she was such a screwy slut.

I posted the link to that thread in here. Just look up a few posts.

• 1 year later...

A guy managed to sneack a camera into a scientology orientation, the video isn't the best of quality, but it shows more of just how retarded and scary these people are. The video is 4 parts.

Part 1/4: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ki16KsWN97A

Part 2/4: http://youtube.com/watch?v=YSgenUBJi38

Part 3/4: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7wTRd7XwI

Part 4/4: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0fcjjW61NCs

Watch it before it's removed!