1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Scientists abandon AI project after seeing The Matrix

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Crimsøn, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Crimsøn

Crimsøn 12oz Senior Member

Scientists abandon AI project after seeing The Matrix

Discussion started by Crimsøn - Jan 26, 2004

Hello!
    http://theonion.com/images/343/article2550.jpg'>

CAMBRIDGE, MA—Scientists at MIT's Advanced Machine Cognizance Project announced Tuesday that, after seeing the final installment of the Matrix trilogy, they will cease all further work in the field of artificial intelligence.
    "As scientists of conscience, we must consider the ethical ramifications of AI development," said Dr. Gregory Jameson, director of machine epistemology and ontology at MIT. "The Matrix taught us that we cannot ignore our obligation to the future of mankind. We must free our minds to this fact, or we will accidentally unleash a nightmarish army of sentient machines."
    Added Jameson: "Some may call the extinction of humankind inevitable, but I, for one, will still resist."
    A statement drafted by the MIT group was co-signed by an international coalition of AI experts that included scientists from the American Association for Artificial Intelligence, members of the Society for Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of Behavior, and a team of fan experts from the newly created San Diego ComiCon Committee on Moral and Ethical Implications for Society at Large.
    In the statement, researchers said they were "frightened by the disastrous potential of AI" and called the Matrix trilogy of science-fiction action-thrillers a "wake-up call to any scientist concerned with the long-term consequences of his work," as well as a "freaky head-trip about a future run by floating metallic drones that look kind of like really scary seafood."
    Pattern-recognition development analyst Dr. Janice Wunderling said the MIT team has placed its AI projects on hold pending the completion of a comprehensive feasibility study on the threat of "humans being imprisoned in tiny, slime-filled cyber-canisters."
    "When we first saw The Matrix back in 1999, the premise of AI evolving into an unstoppable army of self-aware programs intent on dominating the planet gave us pause," Wunderling said. "But like most moviegoers, we dismissed the movie as a fun blockbuster showcasing cool bullet-time photography and shapely, leather-clad cyber-babes performing gravity-defying kung-fu in slow motion."
    After seeing The Matrix Reloaded, however, Wunderling and her fellow scientists began to worry.
    "The more we thought about it, the less we were able to laugh off the threat of killer machines," said Dr. Henry K. Arronovski, a leading expert in the field of heuristics classification. "It really started to freak us out. What if, decades from now, humans end up in a virtual-reality construct designed to blind them to their enslavement to the hivemind—all because of the work my colleagues and I started?"
    Added Arronovski: "I want no hand in creating a world where only Keanu Reeves can protect my great-grandchildren from a giant drill that plummets through the ceilings of subterranean cave dwellings."
    It was The Matrix Revolutions, the final movie in the series, that convinced scientists at MIT to put the brakes on their AI research.
    "We were hoping that the third movie would quell our fears about the work we were doing, but it only raised more questions," Jameson said. "Sentient programs, like the Merovingian, though formerly agents of the Architect's operation to neutralize the human race, rebelled against the very system they were meant to serve? And which side were the renegade programs even on? Was the Oracle a sentient program herself, earmarked for 'deletion' by her former masters? Or was she just another part of the system without knowing it? We had no choice but to pull the plug."
    Team member Dmitri Markovitch, author of Mechanical Computation And Consciousness, called his vote to abandon AI research "an intensely personal decision."
    "I saw Revolutions with my 12-year-old son Eric," Markovitch said. "He saw the look of worry on my face and said, 'Dad, don't be scared. It's only make-believe.' I had to tell him, 'No, son, it's what your father does for a living.'"
    "After watching Captain Mifune blast away in his robotic battle exoskeleton as hordes of relentless Sentinels swarmed the dock screaming in battle-frenzied rage, I could no longer put my career before the future of mankind," Markovitch continued. "Those poor, brave children of Zion—their annoying tolerance of rave culture notwithstanding—did not deserve that horrible fate."
    Critics of AI research commended the decision. Dr. Lyle Freeberg, author of Ethics In The Age Of Nanotechnology, said humans have ignored the warning signs about AI long enough.
    "The first two Terminator films identified the potential for global-linkage computer networks to send android assassins back in time, but the warning went unheeded," Freeberg said. "Artificial Intelligence: AI recognized the ethical dilemmas inherent in creating a robot who can love, but no one took the movie seriously, because it was so boring. But in the wake of the Wachowski brothers' prophetic series, we must, as the '90s alternative-rock band Rage Against The Machine urged us, 'wake up.'"

:lol:
    Let's hope the robots don't kill us all.

I found this on the onion while reading seekings article.

Crimsøn - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. jenoz

jenoz 12oz Member

jenoz - Replied Jan 26, 2004

^ i read that in the onion too.

jenoz - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  3. ERIZENO

ERIZENO 12oz Senior Member

ERIZENO - Replied Jan 26, 2004

saw that too ... so funny !!!
    my favorite part:
    "I saw Revolutions with my 12-year-old son Eric," Markovitch said. "He saw the look of worry on my face and said, 'Dad, don't be scared. It's only make-believe.' I had to tell him, 'No, son, it's what your father does for a living.'"

ERIZENO - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

Overtime - Replied Jan 26, 2004

hahahhaha, is it for real?

Overtime - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  5. Crimsøn

Crimsøn 12oz Senior Member

Crimsøn - Replied Jan 26, 2004

I think so...

...and
    ...Denver, why?

Crimsøn - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  6. ERIZENO

nothing on the onion is based in hard fact ... its all b.s. presented in a way to make it sound for real. some of that stuff may have happend but no fucking way AI scientists give a fuck about the side the Matrix shows, its a concern but it was not that origianl of a conept, its been played with before and will be agian. Matrix was just a big deeper than some in the past.

7. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

Abracadabra - Replied Jan 26, 2004

yet still remaining about 80% more truthfull than mainstream media

Abracadabra - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  8. Gunm

Gunm Banned

Gunm - Replied Jan 26, 2004

ha ha yeahm the matrix article was good for a laugh. I wanted to find the black "ASK" murderer article but no dice....

I think MIT needs to create a robot slave underclass so that by the time I get to be an old man, i can just watch a real life version of the Second Rennaisance right outside my window.

Gunm - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  9. Don't Panic

Don't Panic 12oz Member

Don't Panic - Replied Jan 26, 2004

Don't Panic - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  10. ERIZENO

no shit there !!! mainstream media makes me laugh harder than the onion does, and as we get closer to the election the better it gets !!!

11. IcdoutPirate

IcdoutPirate New Jack

IcdoutPirate - Replied Jan 27, 2004

I love the onion so goddamn much

IcdoutPirate - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  12. Don't Panic

Don't Panic 12oz Member

Don't Panic - Replied Jan 28, 2004

[​IMG]

Don't Panic - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. Fabo 2

Fabo 2 12oz Member

Fabo 2 - Replied Jan 28, 2004

The onion. Iller than ill.

Fabo 2 - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  14. villain

villain 12oz Veteran Member

villain - Replied Jan 29, 2004

The matrix was "standing on the shoulders of giants" so to speak. I really think they ought to have included a references section or something to give credit to the sci-fi/conspiracy theory origins that made it all possible. Maybe then people might actually understand the movie rather than seeing it as "a fun blockbuster showcasing cool bullet-time photography and shapely, leather-clad cyber-babes performing gravity-defying kung-fu in slow motion."

"I think MIT needs to create a robot slave underclass so that by the time I get to be an old man, i can just watch a real life version of the Second Rennaisance right outside my window."-LENS

LENS: This is not going to happen because silicon valley who was supposed to make automation possible found that if they did that they would go out of business because people would no longer need to buy their services. Rather they opted for finicky software that often required technical support and hardware that became obsolescent in a ridiculous time frame. SOoooo... They became rich and we stayed slaves to the machine. ----(information provided by:processed World 2.001)

villain - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  15. Daze One Million

Daze One Million 12oz Elite Member

Daze One Million - Replied Jan 29, 2004

that is so true ^^^^

Daze One Million - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages: