Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Science Question for Cracked

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Harpo Marx, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Harpo Marx

Harpo Marx Senior Member

In school now Im working on molecule synthesis and balancing equations, and it's tough as hell. I can't get it because the teacher sucks and the class is boring so boring, which leads me to believe that I must have some sitting-still problem... but that's another story.
    Anyways, here's an example:
    Li2 S
    Help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

2. hipnos

hipnos Guest

wait are you asking what it would dissociate to?

3. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

4. Harpo Marx

Harpo Marx Senior Member

yes I am.
    No Boogie Hands for you!

5. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

Psquared + PQ + Psquared =?

6. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

I'm foggy on what the actual question is.
    Li (lithium), if it winds up in a molecular compound, will have a charge of +1. Sulfur, as the sulfide ion, has a charge of -2. So it takes two lithium atoms and one sulfur atom to make lithium sulfide, Li2S, which as a normal molecule has a charge of zero (+1+1-2=0).
    If Li2S is dissolved in water (I forget whether it does), it will break back up into two lithium ions (Li+) and one sulfide ion (S-2).

Li2S-->2(Li+)+(S-2) is the equation.

If that's not what you mean, then clarify the question.

7. Harpo Marx

Harpo Marx Senior Member

thanks a lot for responding. I'm working on balancing equations.
    Say for example with the previous problem there are 2 Lithium atoms and one Sulfur atom, which is the equation you saw before. I need to know what to do to balance the equation.
    again, many thanks

8. Harpo Marx

Harpo Marx Senior Member

would it be easier if i could e-mail what Im working on to you?

9. Cracked Ass

No, we can jaw on here a bit.

I'm still a little uncertain. The lithium sulfide is already balanced: two lithiums to one sulfide. Li2S is the only right way.

Gimme more examples.

10. Cracked Ass

I guess ultra-strictly speaking your teacher wants to see you write it out: 2Li + S --> Li2S.

To know how many of one go with how many of another, you just need to know your periodic table, and what ions typically have what charge.

All these are +1: Li, Na, K, H, NH4 (I could go on, those are the commoner ones)
    All these are -1: CL, F, Br, I, NO3, etc. If you need more of these I'll keep listing.

11. Harpo Marx

Harpo Marx Senior Member

Fe(II) N 2

A+B=AB

K + O2 = K2O

balanced-
    4 k + 2 O2 = 2 K2O

12. Harpo Marx

Harpo Marx Senior Member

I have a Valence list right here, so I know what youre talking about with charges. See, I get charges and ammounts, with superscripts and subscripts (similar) but I cant balance the freaking things.

13. Cracked Ass

OK, I think I see what you need.
    Balancing equations really comes down to this: you MUST account for every single atom involved on BOTH sides of the arrow.

Let's look at why that K + O2-->K2O isn't balanced.
    On one side you have one K and two O's. On the other, there's two K's and one O. You somehow invented an extra potassium, and made one oxygen atom disappear. Not possible.
    Oxygen is diatomic - always comes in pairs in its natural state. (If there's an unnatural state going on, the problem must mention this, or you should assume that O by itself must always come in pairs: O2. I assume you've already learned about who's diatomic: H2, O2, N2, Cl2, Br2, I2, F2.)
    To fix the equation, you need to figure out where the other oxygen atom went. The reaction is potassium plus oxygen makes potassium oxide. All of the oxygen is going to join up with potassium to make K2O, and you are forced to start with at least two oxygens, because it's diatomic. So there's gonna have to be two K2O's on the right. 2 molecules of K2O requires four K's, so you need to start with 4 K's on the left.
    That sounds confusing. To balance an equation, you can monkey with the AMOUNTS on EITHER side of the arrow, or both. Here, when you're making potassium oxide, every oxygen atom needs two potassiums to go with it, period. You'd like to rewrite the equation 2K + O--> K2O. But you can't, because oxygen comes in twos. You can't write O by itself, it has to be O2, or 2(O2), or more. So if every oxygen needs two potassiums, and you're FORCED to start with two oxygens, you need four potassiums to balance it.

14. Harpo Marx

Harpo Marx Senior Member

ah, that's what I was looking for. thanks a lot cracked.

15. Cracked Ass

We're probably cross-posting - I'm answering one thing while you're asking another - so bear with me. I'll yap about this for a while longer, so keep checking for posts. I'm gonna work on the Fe(II) N2 now.