scanner thread

suburbian bum

I just aquired an old scanner that works quite well and does not have the cell phone or portable phone channels blocked out because it is so old. I was wondering if tehre was any internet sites that would have what was broadcasted on certain channels, because at the moment im just listining to the pre programmed channels put in by the last person that had it.... Searching doesnt work to well because it takes forever for it to get through all the channels and people have to be talking the second you go past that channel for you to be able to pick anything up.

I would really like to know what channels for the rail roads are because that would help me in benching because not that often do cars go by my house and once i hear then and go out to the spot they are gone.

So anybody with websites or info, that would be appriciated.

Thanks a lot.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yea ive always wondered how i can find out when a fr8 is comin because there aint any roads for it to blow its wistle so by the time i hear it its gone.....theres this one guy that lives by me hes always there before the train is even in town.....ive wanted to ask him about it but i never had the guts cause he seen me and my boy paintin a train once....

where would i pick up one of these scanners and how much are they..sorry i aint no help with your question....

Okay after about an hour i got it, Its going to be hard to find the specific channels in your area. But i found that you can set your scanner to search between 160.000 up to 162.000 and those are all the railroad frequencys. And typically the fred or end of tain device is set to, 457.9375

Aha, i also found out my local taco bell drive through frequency...

No, i tried the fcc page either i wasnt doing something right or it didnt have anything anymore. But i did find one site that had all independant buisnesses frequencys in your town, and hospital channels. The only problem with this is that it would list all frequencys owned by the city and not tell what they are, so you could only tell that it was city owned, not weather it was police, or their water controll channell or something like that, ill post it in just a sec.

If you want someone to do all the work for you, go to radio shack and pick up a book called "police call" it has everything in it - I mean everything. They update it every year, so get a current one. I have one, but I still havent programed anything into my scanner. What I do it set my scanner to scan all the railroad channels (which are usually between 160.100 and 161.900) and let it fly. I do this while benching the freight that runs through my town every night. When the scanner stops on a channel, I write it down, and figure out my own list to see what company is using what channel. I just use the book to cross reference what I find out on my own.

There is no substitute for knowing your spot, or knowing what the railroad that services the spot does and when. Painting a spot while listening to a scanner is probably not going to be very helpful. If you are using it to try to get a head start on the cops, should they roll on you, you probably need to be more careful about how you do things in the first place. My scanner for me is mostly a little toy to play with, and also a prop so I look a little more like a railfan.

This is from a previous scanner thread (click here)

Originally posted by 23578

i just got the june 01 issuse of monitoring times, it's got a steam train on the cover, it has mad technical information about all the shit that the railroad uses: freds, aei, belt controllers for locomotives, defect detectors, etc, plus a list of the VHF/UHF frequency allocations. plus a web reference for amatuer radio monitors.

Also, I found a website with a listing of North American railroad frequencies

I've never used a scanner before, and I don't know if this info will be very useful to you. I just remember see a previous thread about this (useless info trapped in my brain).

i'll be honest i didnt read all of the posts..but i have every single frequency for the rail's around here. i got most of it online and the rest from kabar....... (he's a local..yay!) so just do some research. i've found a lot out just by using railfan sites for my surrounding cities.....the internet is useful.;)

http://www.phonelosers.org/scanner.html

www.phonelosers.org is a good page in general... or any other phone hacking site, cell phones especially... if you dont wanna buy a scanner for a few bucks and some inteligence you can set up an old cell phone to be a scanner for the local freight frequencies.

there suburban... if you need any other help feel free to ask me.. i know alot about this type of stuff.

if you dont wanna buy a scanner for a few bucks and some inteligence you can set up an old cell phone to be a scanner for the local freight frequencies.

How does one do this? I've only heard of people hacking scanner equipment to listen to cellular phone calls (i don't care about other people's mundane chatter). If someone could enlighten me about turning my cell phone into a scanner, that'd be great.

Archived