Rumsfeld tried to quit?

RumPuncher

say what?

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has revealed he twice offered to

resign during a crisis last year over prisoner abuse at Iraq's Abu Ghraib jail.

• In a CNN interview, Mr Rumsfeld said he was ready to take responsibility for the scandal over pictures showing US troops and staff mistreating prisoners.

But he said each time he offered to go, President Bush asked him to stay on.

The BBC's Adam Brookes at the Pentagon says Mr Rumsfeld's position now looks even more secure.

Last year was a bruising year for the combative defence secretary, our correspondent says.

In Iraq, the insurgency inflamed cities across the country and then lurid photographs of American troops abusing Iraqi detainees in Abu Ghraib prison were published around the world.

But the Bush administration has been much encouraged by Sunday's elections in Iraq.

rumsfeld-fight.jpg

• Mr Rumsfeld did not specify when he offered to quit.

We've made a lot of corrections to make sure that those kinds of things [that] happened either don't happen again or are immediately found out and limited and contained
    Donald Rumsfeld

"I submitted my resignation to President Bush twice during that period and told him that ... I felt that he ought to make the decision as to whether or not I stayed on. And he made that decision and said he did want me to stay on," he told the programme Larry King Live.

But he said his conscience was clear.

"What was going on in the midnight shift in Abu Ghraib prison halfway across the world is something that clearly someone in Washington DC can't manage or deal with. And so I have no regrets," he said.

But Mr Rumsfeld said steps had been taken to prevent a recurrence of such abuses.

"We've made a lot of corrections to make sure that those kinds of things [that] happened either don't happen again or are immediately found out and limited and contained," he said.

In August an investigation found that senior Pentagon and military officials contributed to an atmosphere in which prisoners suffered abuse and failed to properly monitor conduct of detention policies.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I find the idea that administrative decisions are made so casually to be more frightening than calculated political maneuvers.

I think more likely Bush was concerned that a Rumsfeld resignation over the Abu Ghraib scandal would be an admission of guilt on the part of the administration. By retaining Rumsfeld, Bush asserts that the administration has done nothing wrong, nothing worthy of resignation.

Originally posted by symbols+Feb 4 2005, 02:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (symbols - Feb 4 2005, 02:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-<KEY3>@Feb 4 2005, 02:12 PM

"I submitted my resignation to President Bush twice during that period ..."

ugh.

so unfortunate that bush cannot read.

;)

[/b]

im sure he read it as re-sign-ation; which clearly means rummy was trying to re-sign up for his position.

IF he had used less fancy terms like maybe "dear bush, I quit", we might have gotten somewhere.

Originally posted by angelofdeath@Feb 4 2005, 02:48 PM

i guarantee you if bush did everything you guys want him to do, you would probably still hate him.

You are completely wrong. I mean, if he started to do things the right way, I'd still be very cautious of him considering what he's done so far. But if he started off doing what should be done. You know, proper responses to terrorism and such, I would not hate him.

Originally posted by fatalist@Feb 5 2005, 02:33 PM

I find the idea that administrative decisions are made so casually to be more frightening than calculated political maneuvers.

I think more likely Bush was concerned that a Rumsfeld resignation over the Abu Ghraib scandal would be an admission of guilt on the part of the administration. By retaining Rumsfeld, Bush asserts that the administration has done nothing wrong, nothing worthy of resignation.

I don't think it's so much a matter of being casual as it is being relentless with their agenda. The fact that they will pursue their ideology to self destruction make it seem as if they are making decisions casually or without foresight. So if this were a question of are they stupid or just evil, I'm leaning towards just plain evil. But definately a smattering of both.

Originally posted by angelofdeath@Feb 4 2005, 05:48 PM

i guarantee you if bush did everything you guys want him to do, you would probably still hate him.

these days instead of making any valid points, you just tell us how we think and what we would do and how we feel.

what kind of guarantee are you offering?

you "guarantee" we would "probably" ?

i have responded again and again to your assumptions about what i do and think and feel and you just keep repeating the same tired mantra.

and if bush killed himself i would definitely not hate him.

:haha:

uh..

it's not a liberal problem that people with ann

coulter's values do not have the foresight, nor the mental

capacity to identify a clearly objectionable record.

what's with all this crying about liberals anyhow?

we can agree to disagree, but surely you can see

there are more pressing things to bitch about, no?