rules of the draft

laffinginside

SELECTIVE SERVICE LOTTERY

If and when the Congress and the President reinstate a military draft, the Selective Service System would conduct a National Draft Lottery to determine the order in which young men would be drafted.

The lottery would establish the priority of call based on the birth dates of registrants. The first men drafted would be those turning age 20 during the calendar year of the lottery. For example, if a draft were held in 1998, those men born in 1978 would be considered first. If a young man turns 21 in the year of the draft, he would be in the second priority, in turning 22 he would be in the third priority, and so forth until the year in which he turns 26 at which time he is over the age of liability. Younger men would not be called in that year until men in the 20-25 age group are called.

Because of the enormous impact of this lottery, it would be conducted publicly, with full coverage by the media. Accredited observers from public interest groups will have full access to observe the proceedings.

To make the lottery as fair as possible, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) developed a unique random calendar and number selection program for Selective Service. Using this random selection method for birthdays, each day of the year is selected by computer in a random manner, and that date is placed in a capsule. The capsules are then loaded in a large drum on a random basis. By the same method, numbers from 1 to 365 (366 for men born in a leap year) are also selected in a random fashion, placed in capsules, and the capsules are placed into a second drum. The process, repeated a second time, results in two sets of drums. Official observers certify that the capsule-filling and drum-loading were conducted according to established procedures. This certification is secured to each drum; they are sealed and placed in secure storage. Should a lottery be conducted, one of the first actions would be an inspection of these stored drums and the selection of a set to be used in the lottery.

Here is how the lottery would work: One capsule is drawn from the drum containing birth dates January 1 through December 31. One capsule is then drawn from the drum containing the sequence numbers from 1 through 365 (366 if the draft will call men born during a leap year) and the date and number are paired to establish the sequence number for each birth date. This is done in full view of all observers, officials, and the media.

For example, if the date of August 4 is drawn first from the "date" drum, and the sequence number of 32 is drawn from the "number's" drum at the same time, then those men turning 20 on August 4 would be ordered for induction processing only after men whose birthdays drew sequence numbers 1 through 31. The drawings continue until all 365 (or 366) birthdays of the year are paired with a sequence number.

After the lottery is completed and results certified, the sequence of call is transmitted to the Selective Service System's Data Management Center. Almost immediately the first induction notices are prepared and sent via mailgram to men whose birth dates drew the lowest lottery numbers.

This system, based on random selection of birth dates, with the order of priority for reporting assigned in a scientifically random manner, is a fair and equitable method of calling men to serve.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I've been curious about the draft for a while now and I was wondering if someone can clarify something for me. How is it that the USA claims to be a "free country" yet forces young men into the military? Couldn't that be considered paid slavery?

I hate spelling mistakes.

[This message has been edited by Lush (edited 09-20-2001).]

not really forcing...the US government considers its citizens obligated to fight in time of need. they wont issue a draft for this conflict unless it gets really out of hand and we lose a large amount of soldiers. if i get drafted i would fight for the US. i wouldnt nessesarily feel good about being drafted, but i would fight for this cause (attempt to end terrorism) at least. i feel that terrorism will always be around though. its a fact of modern day life. you can almost relate it to graffiti. people try to fight graffiti but it doesnt really ever go away. but, hey, if you dont fight it, then it gets really out of hand. i just feel that there's always going to be extremeties in regards to people who want to end it and people who want to create it. but i really wouldnt be afraid of a draft for this conflict. from what i hear they plan on using mostly special forces, not large amout of soildiers in a huge land war.

Originally posted by Lush:

I've been curious about the draft for a while now and I was wondering if someone can clarify something for me. How is it that the USA claims to be a "free country" yet forces young men into the military? Couldn't that be considered paid slavery?

I hate spelling mistakes.

[This message has been edited by Lush (edited 09-20-2001).]

The draft will most likely 98% not even be thought about. As a matter of fact they just just made a public statement saying "at this time we do not feel the need to institute the draft". Being drafted is not really similar to slavery. In the military they pay you some decent cash, they dont beat you, etc...

Guest --zeSto--

HEY PISTOL...

"they dont beat you"

sure.. but you may die!

As it looks now,

there will be no need for a draft.

There are tons of people ready to go to war (against a spectre).

And most of the work in this type of conflict

is done by special services anyways.

Pulling the weekend warriors and the drafted youth

to the front is totally unnecessary.

I luve speling misstackes

It's still not worth being paid. War changes you. I wouldn't be able to live with the fact that I took away a man's life. Because what right do i have to do it? I can't bring back those lost here, and I wont be able to do the same with those I kill in war. Man if I got drafted for 'nam (which I would have... I looked at the birthdays called) I woulda ran myself up to canada.

slave: One bound in servitude (as the property of a person or household.)

basically break that down to "One bound in servitude", and when you look up the meaning of servitude :A state of subjection to an owner or master. OR

Lack of personal freedom, as to act as one chooses.

I'd consider that pretty close. If I lived in a so called free country, where one is supposedly allowed to act as they choose (within reason) I wouldn't consider a draft, or something that forces me into SERVING my country very fair. I never said I thought it would come down to a draft, because there's no way in hell the USA would be able to win a land war in Afganistan, and I think they know that. The draft is just something I've always wondered about.I would never be able to kill another human being, and I never want to be responsible for an innocent persons suffering, and I NEVER EVER want to touch a firearm or gun. I suppose being a nurse would be noble.

i actually think we could win a land war in afganistan. in fact, a land war would be serious overkill, and alot more afganis who are not in or for the terrorist organizations would die. a land war is just not practical, special forces operations and air and missle strikes on targets of opportunity is just a better way to go. this war is unfortunatly unavoidable right now. if we let them get away with this, it would seriously effect the US's influence on the world. if we attack them, alot of unnecissary people will die. it seems like other countries, mainly great britan, want the US to take the initiative on this for citizens that those countries lost in the WTC. its a lose lose situation if you look at it from the amount of lives to be lost on both sides.

[This message has been edited by sectorTVA (edited 09-20-2001).]

Originally posted by sectorTVA:

if we let them get away with this, it would seriously effect the US's influence on the world.

[This message has been edited by sectorTVA (edited 09-20-2001).]

WHAT? oh my god.....I'm not going to say it.

Guest please.die

now this is just silly, i agree with the few that said it, there is definitely not going to be a draft of any sort, it's just going to be completely unnecessary.

Guest Mr.Raven

If it gets that far, I'd probably volunteer. I rather be overseas and see shit coming than hang out here wondering when the next plane will fall out of the sky.

I've never been one to sit idle and let shit happen around me.

i actually think airstrikes are less practical than a ground war. afghanistan has already had the living shit bombed out of them by russia, and these taliban big wigs are all hiding either 12 miles under the ground, or in pakistan. so where could we bomb afghanistan that hasn't already been bombed, or would take out any key players in the terrorist organization? a ground war always means deaths, but that way we could fuckin storm into their foxholes commando style and blast the people who deserve it not the innocent citizens.

Guest HESHIANDET

anyone w/ a father who served in vietnam here? my pops wasn't drafted, he signed up and went in because "it was the right thing to do". well 3 tours later and a whole lot of psychological damage (trust me, its sad) he says that "it was the worst decision of his entire life"and "over my dead body will you or your brother ever go to war". im not sure how to take that concerning the recent events. im all for doing whats right, but the other part of me says "FUCK THIS SHIT IM GOING TO CANADA"...sooo hmmmmmmmmmmm? once youv'e seen the effect things take on a new meaning. at the same time during vietnam noone saw 6000 people die on live television - which is exactly what we saw......fuck

------------------

stonecutters#1

_ -o

-_<,

(*)/'(*)

Originally posted by HESHIANDET:

at the same time during vietnam noone saw 6000 people die on live television - which is exactly what we saw......fuck

but it being on television was the deciding factor, it makes it more surreal, than actually seeing hearing and smelling your best friend blown to pieces in front of you.

war is a dirty job and it may be wrong but somebody has to do it.yea people are all politically correct blah blah blah but somebody had to make a sacarafice for us to have what we have today. And yea everybody can criticize America for not being perfect but i'd rather live here than in Afghanistan. Because an old friend of mine immigrated from Afgh. and one of the resons was because of the type of shit that goes on there.He said women use to get publicaly executed over silly shit everyday and it was accepted.

------------------

fuckitwhocares

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by HESHIANDET:

"FUCK THIS SHIT IM GOING TO CANADA"...

but now W.Bush is mad at Canada for not being 100% devoted to the USA.

Is Canada supposed to play 'little brother' forever?

Beside "IF" a draft were ever needed there are legal ways to get out of it without going to Canada. In slavery you were fucked. You don't have to go if your the only son,color blind, or have some other "disability". Slavery was probably one of ther worst things ever done by man.

Slavery IS THE WORST thing man has ever done-

there are a few things i have been told about the draft by a guy i know who got a medical discharge from the military

the main one being if you are the only or the youngest son...you cannot be forced to actually have to go since you are the "last leg" for your family name to continue-

im not 100% positive and it could be completely wrong- ..just whati heard.

Archived