rubbish

Guest BROWNer

Guest BROWNer
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

"there's nothing to 'get'."

why is that such a hard concept....im not ragging on the doods above, but im talking about society as a whole? is it related to science and our increasing ability to understand what is behind the object or are we just predisposed to want to dig further....but perhaps if we enjoyed the woods for the trees we would be just fine...

mondays only suck cause of work........

Guest TEARZ

what i also hate (and again like roe i'm not trying bust on aforementioned dudes), is that say if you wanted to "get it" a little more, or at least place it in a context for yourself, you could do so quite easily. too many people wait for a pre-packaged two sentence explanation of something from the thread starter which is supposed to be representative of the full meaning and scope of the object(s) one is "trying to get" or else one is "not going to get it."

this is the internet. you can right click on properties, find out where something came from. you can open a new window, look at it, get some context from that site and then go to google, and you're in business. there's no need to be as stupid as some people are. you are currently logged on to "the information super highway." it's a stupid phrase yeah, but to roll with the metaphor, some of you dudes are trying to drive some power wheels or some toy shit on the highway and you're gonna get run over- first by me in my WV GTI going 95, then roe in some fucking van that he's pushing, then finally browner's gonna finish the job by stomping what's left in his huge brown dump truck that he's speeding along in. word to your motha. haha.

seriously, dont get me wrong it wasnt until my early 20's did i realize that i wasnt learning how to think but rather being spoon fed what to think...our educational system does not produce thinkers it produces knowledge containers....

now im in my mid 20s and learning my abc all over again....pain in the ass, yes, stumbling in the dark, yes, worth the intrinsic value, hell fucking yes....

but getting back to it what tearz was mentioning, the thing about alot of artists and browners/tess's threads is that they do not serve as an end, but rather as a platform to leap from.....learning to leap, and i still am, is one of the hardest things to do, but in the same is one of the only ways that youll "get" yourself....

yeah its cool to sometimes understand something and dig into it, and i love science, but sometimes you just gotta sit back and stare and NOT think......but rather absorb

GTI eh Tear? make sure i dont pass you in the 1.8T....hehehehe..;)

Guest TEARZ

naw, i got the vr6 dawg, haha...

i agree fully. i was fortunate enough to be in a few good programs at one of those hipped out ivy league schools that stressed the student's relationship and interaction with the material more than it stressed ownership of the material.... (i-it i-thou, buber, freire's pedagogy of the oppressed).... please believe that there were a ton of kids running around to see who could fill up their containers first, but there were a substantial number of really highly motivated kids who had no other goal but to try and improve themselves and know themselves.

what i struggle with when talking about your argument roe, is that, to some extent, you must have a decent knowledge reserve tank. learning your own methods of analysis over time is critical, and you will be nothing without it, but you will also really know very little if you do not understand specific nuanced turning points in whatever it is... your own life, history, art, literature... this area is where i hate that memory sometimes fails me... you must know certain historical moments, certain philosophers, certain books, whatever...in my estimation, facts are extremely important, the knowledge tank is incredibly useful, but only when used in conjunction with critical methods of thinking- ultimately which will become shaped personally over time. our parents generation is a perfect example of the tank version of knowledge... my mother amazes me with her ability to cite dates of historical battles and shit... i could only give you a decent approximation of most... but ask her to analyze reasons why the civil war really went down and she'd be pretty lost.

so i'm basically agreeing with you- just adding that the knowledge tank is extremely utile. i wish that i had a larger model sometimes.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Tearz for president!!!

Roe for spiritual leader!!!

you make things a better place...

Guest TEARZ

haha, thanks hombre, you do too, for sure... you're also running dudes down at high speeds with your new VW.

i swear man, i'm always coopting browner's threads and turning them into some mucka-ass tangent. it's great though, i wouldn't have it any other way, i'm sure he doesn't mind... although it was really roe that got the ball rolling this time.

haha.

i gotta go do some fundraising, check back later...

"just adding that the knowledge tank is extremely utile. i wish that i had a larger model sometimes..."

yeah you and me both dood....yeah the two go hand in hand...the problem is learning to become ambidextrous so you can flip back and forth, hand to hand...i think it was victorian/romantics lit prof in junior year that really got the ball rolling for me....and your right, i mean you can break wordsworth or blake down into your own personal conclusion (the hard) but really only after you have an understanding of the culture and events surrounding england in those time periods....

but see thats where the problem was...for too long, i was just a lazy learning.....and when it came down to not having an art expert or lit guru by my side, i found i was completely deficient in the ability to use previous knowledge and break something down for myself, not for an A but for me.....really breaking down picasso not just saying, yeah thats cool, or reading stephen hawking and having to do leg work cause you have no fucking clue what supergravity is....

it was only after college that i realized how dumb i was...golden tounge boy spoon feeding the teachers what they spoon fed to me....now im a self proclaimed village idiot....all though i still catch myself sometimes as know it all....

again, though, this thread is not about getting it or knowledge or any of that tangent that me and tear just traveled across....sometimes a simple mind fuck with no point other then to help the mind kick in, is the best medicine for my auto-pilot mind on a monday....

please tess, i can barely lead my own life....

fundrasing? any need for a marketing degree over there?

Guest imported_Tesseract

please tess, i can barely lead my own life....

sometimes a simple mind fuck with no point other then to help the mind kick in, is the best medicine for my auto-pilot mind on a monday....

That would do...you're still nominated

Guest BROWNer

you guys amaze me with your ability to put words together

coherently, i bet you slicksters did good in english.

to me this stuff about a 'knowledge tank' is very true in a sense,

but i'm in this phase now where you break anything you want down, and you

don't have any better of an answer becuz its all just

mambo-jahambo in the end. i understand the need for it though..

its good to be autodidactic too..and just explore.

i watched amelie last night....quite wicked.

the photos reorganized and put back together

all shoddy-like was incredible, also some really cool footage.

plus she was gorgeous.

'huge brown dump truck' :dazed:

Guest TEARZ

amelie was incredible, and i'm glad you mentioned the photos... and yes she was off the ding dong stunning.

and i'm torn between everything being mahmbo jahambo and thinking that the purpose to everything is to be more human- and i don't necessarily feel that they are on opposite ends of the spectrum. in fact they may mesh together quite beautifully. i don't know. but i do know that knowledge of self combined with action makes me feel more alive- a trick that depression has taught me.

anyone ever seen amores perros? it's sitting in my house and i'm considering watching it.

• 1 month later...

Archived