RRT3 game glorifies trespassing?

cpickle

just reading this review of Railroad Tycoon 3 ... anyone played the game?

---begin---

SAFETY FIRST?

It gives me no great pleasure to start on a critical note, but I feel it is necessary to record my strong disapproval at the opening video sequence in Railroad Tycoon 3. It starts innocently enough with a mouse on top of the rail line, the track shakes, the mouse jumps off and the view pans to a coin which is subsequently flattened by a passing train. A young boy then appears in the scene, picks up the flattened penny and proceeds to run along and across what is represented as a multiple track operational railway line. This lasts for several seconds with the child then entering a locomotive depot where engines are being prepared. A further spell of trespass sees the child arrive on a mainline station, cutting through a hole in the fence in the process.

As someone who feels strongly that rail software has a vital role to play in getting across the anti-trespass/vandalism, particularly to impressionable youngsters, I am utterly horrified that the QA departments at PopTop, Take 2 Interactive and the parties who gave the game a 3+ rating should have allowed this to remain in the game. It may seem harmless enough, but it sends out completely the wrong message and I just hope for the sake of those involved a child is not injured or killed - in the UK or anywhere else - as a result of having seen this video clip and deciding it is "cool" to go on the railway line.

The damage is done now but I sincerely hope someone at PopTop or Take 2 ensures steps are taken to ensure this irresponsible video clip is removed from future pressings of the game and arranges to have a printed warning put in existing stock that operational railways are a dangerous place and under no circumstances should anyone attempt to emulate the actions depicted.

To top it all, the rear box art on the cover for RRT3 shows a "hobo" walking down the track in the centre of the "four foot". Another great advert for rail safety.

---end---

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by cpickle

just reading this review of Railroad Tycoon 3 ... anyone played the game?

---begin---

SAFETY FIRST?

It gives me no great pleasure to start on a critical note, but I feel it is necessary to record my strong disapproval at the opening video sequence in Railroad Tycoon 3. It starts innocently enough with a mouse on top of the rail line, the track shakes, the mouse jumps off and the view pans to a coin which is subsequently flattened by a passing train. A young boy then appears in the scene, picks up the flattened penny and proceeds to run along and across what is represented as a multiple track operational railway line. This lasts for several seconds with the child then entering a locomotive depot where engines are being prepared. A further spell of trespass sees the child arrive on a mainline station, cutting through a hole in the fence in the process.

As someone who feels strongly that rail software has a vital role to play in getting across the anti-trespass/vandalism, particularly to impressionable youngsters, I am utterly horrified that the QA departments at PopTop, Take 2 Interactive and the parties who gave the game a 3+ rating should have allowed this to remain in the game. It may seem harmless enough, but it sends out completely the wrong message and I just hope for the sake of those involved a child is not injured or killed - in the UK or anywhere else - as a result of having seen this video clip and deciding it is "cool" to go on the railway line.

The damage is done now but I sincerely hope someone at PopTop or Take 2 ensures steps are taken to ensure this irresponsible video clip is removed from future pressings of the game and arranges to have a printed warning put in existing stock that operational railways are a dangerous place and under no circumstances should anyone attempt to emulate the actions depicted.

To top it all, the rear box art on the cover for RRT3 shows a "hobo" walking down the track in the centre of the "four foot". Another great advert for rail safety.

---end---

give me a break!!!!!!!

this review is a joke...who cares about the danger aspect...ITS A GAME..hahahaha

what about vice city then, i bet the author hates that.

on the one hand, whatever trainspotter wrote that review should lighten up... on the other, i think it's funny how much the video clip angers him... on the other (third?) hand, if i were a videogame publisher i'd not want to face a parent "My child was killed because he got the idea from your game" blah blah blah our litigous society, feh.

Originally posted by cpickle

I just hope for the sake of those involved a child is not injured or killed - in the UK or anywhere else - as a result of having seen this video clip and deciding it is "cool" to go on the railway line.

kids wouldn't be playing a fucking trainspotting game in the first place, only 30 year old anoraks that still live with their mums do.