JambaJuice

does anyone here rock climb? if so, how good are you? i am in nashville and would enjoy goin out with some fools to murder some boulders.... and not the gay ass 10 year olds getting pulled up on a route i'm talking about hiking badass trails to a 30 foot high boulder and climbing it bare handed....

what do you think about rock climbing?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest beardo

my roomate and a few other friends are into it quite a bit, built a wall in their backyard and all that jazz. they always ask if i wana go climb with em, and i just laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

i went up to yosemite a couple weeks ago. and i saw climbers scaling el capitan and shit like that. i kinda felt inspired to try some rock climbing and shit. they have rock climbing classes out there that i think i might like to try. i can only imagine what kinda of rush it would be to climb even just 100 feet of a mountain that has been there for thousands of years and survived glaciers of such incredible sizes. i really do need to get in some decent shape first so i dont look like a complete fairy in front of the euro hippie chicks at the class.

• 9 years later...

Repelled for my firstime tonight off about a 70 to 80ft drop

Finished my first 5.9 tonight too

Outdoor stuffs

Anyone else fuck around w dis?

this guy is the man.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.2e6fe5cd79859493327e73ef145c42ff.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/11/magazine/the-heart-stopping-climbs-of-alex-honnold.html

and this woman. just. damn. so inspirational.

Gerlinde_Kaltenbrunner_Gipfel_380.jpg.1b5e16e989a90c44df4f0edbeb1b8c22.jpg

Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner is an Austrian mountaineer. In August 2011, she became the second woman to climb the fourteen eight-thousanders, and the first woman to do so without the use of supplementary oxygen or high altitude porters.

scared of heights? sack up. so am i. i love that shit. if you're ever in sf or boulder, hit me up. i climb 5.11b well and v6-ish. most of the people i climb w/ suck/are weak so i'm down to climb simpler stuff as well....

HIlarious. I'm so fucking fat/out of shape now. I'd be thrilled if I could finished a 5.8 or a v2. Fuck.

• 3 weeks later...

Just started a set of Trad Gear this week. I have 2 boulder pads, sport quick draws... Ive been Climbing in the north east for years if anyone is ever up here get ahold of me.

Alex Honnold kills it; that solo is absolutely insane and probably wont be repeated for 20+ years.. Soloing stuff is a great experience but my friends had once ran into him while they were leading a 5.12d in Rumney NH, he soloed up the 13a next to them and told them to "Lose the rope, boys." Met him at the top and I guess he was smug as fuck to locals and everything.

Free soloing is the a great thrill, but a much debated topic in the climbing community. Many view it as unnecessarily dangerous, Although i do enjoy it as much as the next person, as far as community norms go, its not exactly something to brag about

This was almost a decade ago, I've dealt with it, but it's one of the main reasons I stick to bouldering now. Though I've seen some gnarly, nonfatal accidents with that, too.

The explanation from the guy on the route with him:

"Hello all. My name is Steve Mills and I was the belayer and good friend of of the late James Harr. Here is what happened: we reached the third belay and decided, after much deliberation and attempted route-finding, to forego the last pitch on account of the weather and rap down. We lowered down to the second belay, and then down to the anchors atop Thunderbolt, a short 11d to the right of Rincon. These anchors are about forty feet off the ground. We both reached these anchors and were very excited to be almost back to earth. It was very cold and windy and we were not adequately clothed. James tied a bight in the rope and hooked it to his harness so that both ends of the rope would not fall to the ground when he pulled it from the previous rappel. I took one end of the rope, fed it through the o-rings and tied in. he put me on belay and lowered me down. What happened at this point is still not entirely clear to me, but it certainly involved James tying into the bight on his harness, or to some middle point on the rope, instead of tying in to the OTHER END. Consequently, when I pulled through the slack and had him tight, we were only working with a very small portion of the rope. I saw a pile of rope to the left of me, and felt the tension in the line. I asked James two times if everything looked right to him and he said to go ahead and lower. I began lowering, and about halfway down to the ground the rope zipped through my hand and through the grigri, leaving James twenty feet to fall. He landed on his back and head. If he had been tied into the other end of the rope there is no way that I could have had him taught AND have the rope run through the grigri. James and I had a brief but wonderful climbing partnership. His last words were "Wow, we have amazing chemistry," which was entirely true. We are both experienced climbers - I trusted him and he trusted me and were were always very safe. But somewhere amidst the excitement of reaching the ground after an hour and a half descent and the discomfort of the cold and wind, we lost some of our circumspection; he made an error and I in turn made an error by not noticing it. And he lost his life because of it. May you rest in peace James: you will never be forgotten; you shall continue to inspire me and all others that knew you, as of course you always have."

A lot can be read into what could have been done differently. Both dudes were very experienced, not noobs at all. Accidents/mistakes/shit happens. It's a battle I choose not to fight anymore.