Roadside bombs

TheoHuxtable

As the death toll in Iraq rises, I couldn't help but notice that the most consistent weapon of choice used to kill US and other coalition troops are "roadside bombs". It seems to be simple yet effective, and there seems to be no answer to it.

How do these things work? Is someone in a nearby building watching the U.S. convoy waiting to detonate it by remote?

Why is there no deterrent against it? The troops don't see it on the road ahead of them when their humvee convoy is patrolling the streets?

I can imagine what goes through a person's mind when he's sent on a patrol mission thinking "i could be the next one")

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by test pattern

it's not cowardly shit just beacuse a few of your friends died from it. this is fucking warfare. what are they supposed to do? scarface it and go out in a noble blaze? screw that. they're doing what they can.

Please tell everyone with a straight face that you'd say that if your close family member or best friend got blown up by a roadside bomb. Please tell me that your reaction to an Army representitive telling you the news about your brother getting killed by a roadside bomb would be "well, this is fucking warfare. what are they supposed to do?- they're doing what they can."

Guest imported_El Mamerro

My reaction would be outrage no matter the method of killing. Be it a roadside bomb or straight up knife to the throat, I wouldn't sympathize whatsoever with the guy.

That said, it's fucking ridiculous to keep calling their tactics cowardly. You can't possibly expect these people to go toe to toe with the Goliath that is the US military. Brave, maybe, but undeniably stupid and a sure way to lose. How can you not expect them to use slingshots to do harm from far away?

Originally posted by TheoHuxtable

Please tell everyone with a straight face that you'd say that if your close family member or best friend got blown up by a roadside bomb. Please tell me that your reaction to an Army representitive telling you the news about your brother getting killed by a roadside bomb would be "well, this is fucking warfare. what are they supposed to do?- they're doing what they can."

sympathy wasn't even the issue. what you just said supports my point.

conversely, if your brother was about to be taken prisoner, so he fled to an abandoned building and shot 5 people from a hidden location, would you call him a coward or just say "what was he supposed to do?"

it's all context.

they set up bombs on the side of the road, detonate them and kill 5 americans and thats cowardly, but we sent planes over vietnam, dropped NAPALM on hundreds of them, and thats 'strategic'?!?! are you high?!

as soon as the iraqi's are flying around in their own helicopters, driving their own tanks and humvees, i'll consider the idea that booby traps might be an act of cowardice. until then, fuck off. if they were just out in the open, like they were at the start of the 'war' we would just dop bombs on them and shoot them from helicopters. we would never engage them with foot soldiers. that's not fucking cowardly? by attacking us from crowded areas, they're forcing us to go in and face them man to man. everyday we come up with newer and better technology to send robots and unmanned bomber planes into enimy territory, so we can kill people by remote fucking control, but thats not cowardly?! it's 'cowardly' when an iraqi sits in a nearby house and hits a button, but not cowardly when someone 10,000 miles away sits behind a monitor with a joystick, like he was playing fucking 'flight of the intruder' and bombs a whole village?!

if my brother/father/friend/loved one was killed by a road side bomb in iraq, i'd blame bush for him even being there in the first place, not the iraqi's for trying to tunnel out of alcatraz with nail clippers.

call me unpatriotic, but fair is fair, right is right, and war fucking sucks. to quote many a rapper 'don't start none, won't be none'.

seen?!

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by CILONE/SK

The noncombatants over there should be trying to get the people who do that for getting them shot at.

When your drunken friend is being an asshole, and starts some shit with another guy that could very well get all your asses kicked, who do you stick up for?

in afghanistan, when we were hunting al qaeda and tali ban, we would go out at night, into the mountains and shoot at them. they would scatter and hide, then eventually regroup all in one place. we'd be watching the whole thing on heat sensing devices, so when they would all congregate at one place, we would then drop a bomb on them.

that's cowardice beyond beliefe.

we call the guys who hijacked the planes 'cowards', meanwhile they gave their lives for what they believed. fuck that, i dont agree with it, but i respect the fuck out of it. america is a country of pussy's who want fast food and trust funds. we don't believe in anything enough to go heads up with anyone. we proved that in ww2, when we flattened two whole cities, filled with fucking civillians! can you imagine the hellstorm if someone actually mnaged to inflict that kind of damage on american cities? we're ready to dismantle the entire world over 3,000 american lives, and not to belittle them, but that many people die every year due to choking on brussell sprouts.

cilone, it wasnt really directed at you, just general anger at the prevailing idea that they are cowards. they're utilizing what they have, to fight against insurmountable odds, the fact that their even standing up prove their lack of cowardice. it might be 'wrong' and it might be 'misguided', but the last thing it is, is 'cowardly'.

seeks/just ranting.

Guest HESHIANDET

seeking and i have an unspoken agreement that we never discuss this shit in each others presence. :cool:

to me, talking about this stuff is pointless, and most of you are the last fucking people who have any right to say shit about soemthing. i hate people today. fuck yall.

Guest BROWNer

i just read an article on this stuff and the psychology of

killing somebody at close range and how the closer someone

gets to a violent combat scene or target, the greater the

resistance to actually committing the violence becomes.

up close killing range is referred to as the sexual range, super

close proximity. in this range the resistance is the greatest due

to the intensity of near flesh to flesh contact and the effects it

has on the mind and just the inherent inner resistance most species

have to killing their own kind.

on the flip there's low resistance, like a drone or something..

the greater the physical distance, the lower the resistance to

committing the violence. basically the further removed you are

from a warzone, the easier it becomes to almost remote control

kill people and come away physically and mentally unscathed.

an example would be a drone, or the

bombers that fly so high over iraq that nobody can see them.

this could probably be applied to the media coverage in the west too.

so...you can't exactly call palestinians or iraqi's cowards.

you've got to wonder how intense these people are though if you

consider that such acts are so hard to actually commit, especially

with the frequency that they occur. maybe it's not so hard when

you've been under violent occupation for years..i shudder to think.

btw, if anyone is interested in reading the article, i'm pretty sure

i read it in the current adbusters....

Originally posted by BROWNer

i just read an article on this stuff and the psychology of

killing somebody at close range and how the closer someone

gets to a violent combat scene or target, the greater the

resistance to actually committing the violence becomes.

up close killing range is referred to as the sexual range, super

close proximity. in this range the resistance is the greatest due

to the intensity of near flesh to flesh contact and the effects it

has on the mind and just the inherent inner resistance most species

have to killing their own kind.

on the flip there's low resistance, like a drone or something..

the greater the physical distance, the lower the resistance to

committing the violence. basically the further removed you are

from a warzone, the easier it becomes to almost remote control

kill people and come away physically and mentally unscathed.

an example would be a drone, or the

bombers that fly so high over iraq that nobody can see them.

this could probably be applied to the media coverage in the west too.

so...you can't exactly call palestinians or iraqi's cowards.

you've got to wonder how intense these people are though if you

consider that such acts are so hard to actually commit, especially

with the frequency that they occur. maybe it's not so hard when

you've been under violent occupation for years..i shudder to think.

btw, if anyone is interested in reading the article, i'm pretty sure

i read it in the current adbusters....

Word... There's a dude in my barracks who had a 500lb bomb dropped on his unit by our own air force! The paper doesn't even report that shit. He's got gnarly burns and uses crutches and shit. Shrapnel working it's way out his skin and shit... craziness. Like half his platoon was killed.

We need to drop all these bitchmade contraptions and fight shoalin style. Fist to face and shit....

It is not about my friends. It is about people Who hide when kill someone, they are cowards. It is the same thing as shooting from a hospital or a crowd. They are also doing that. They do not have any balls. I am not saying that the US doesn't do the same thing, but it still doesn't make either of them not cowardly assholes.

Yeah. Those fucking pussies. That would be like if a country was using weapons with such superior range that the enemies they were fighting against never even got a chance to see them before they were destroyed. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by HESHIANDET

seeking and i have an unspoken agreement that we never discuss this shit in each others presence. :cool:

to me, talking about this stuff is pointless, and most of you are the last fucking people who have any right to say shit about soemthing. i hate people today. fuck yall.

you and i seem to share the same idea. i hate politics. i rarely ever go into these threads.

Originally posted by toaztlove

war itself is some cowardly shit, not to mention its just fucking stupid. bush is a pussy, straight up and down, he got no qualms about sending your boys to die in the desert but where's he at? cold chillin behind a desk.

uhhh....that's like.......almost every president in history dude.

gee, maybe we should send the president to fight in iraq duh uh uh uh idiot.

i'm cold chillin though.

Guest HESHIANDET

What I love about this country is that we all have the right to say anything we want. I personnaly respect that from everyone. I figure, what the hell do I really care what someone else thinks. I know what I think and that is what matters to me. I always make a point to listen to other people, but I don't have to accept what they say.

BTW, a few of us really do have more of a right to talk about this then other people here, because a few of us will be or have been deployed to over there. I also hate people today, so fuck you right back.

your one of the people that doesn't make my skin crawl when you post on stuff like this. i guess i need to clarify my blanket "fuck everyone" statements. i just assume peopel realize i don't mean them.

i kinda want to join the military.

i hate when people convieniently forget that the us revolution was fought and won because we (the US) used guerrilla warfare. albeit hiding behind trees and shooting at a group of soldiers lined up in rows isnt exactly considered guerrilla warfare nowadays, it was at the time. its been proven over and over in history that guerrilla warfare can win out against a much larger and well supplied foriegn force (american revolution, veitnam, etc.). i dont condone the actions taken by either side, but as mentioned above war is hell and it sucks...meh...

hesh,

the funny thing is that i kind of want to join too.

but fuck joining the american army.

i'd rather join the french legion or something.

i'm not completely opposed to the idea of killing, because i'm not completely convinced that i really value life at all. i'm starting to get very nihilistic and hardened to the idea of a better tomorrow.

and as much as you hate people discussing it, i hate people that don't give a shit. the reason i have no problem with your apathy though, is that i know when it comes right down to it, you'll break everything in site and wouldn't adhere to some patriotic nonsense. kill, kill, kill. and somehow, in some way, that makes it all ok.

besides, you're my nig.

Originally posted by BUCK FUSH

i hate when people convieniently forget that the us revolution was fought and won because we (the US) used guerrilla warfare. albeit hiding behind trees and shooting at a group of soldiers lined up in rows isnt exactly considered guerrilla warfare nowadays, it was at the time. its been proven over and over in history that guerrilla warfare can win out against a much larger and well supplied foriegn force (american revolution, veitnam, etc.). i dont condone the actions taken by either side, but as mentioned above war is hell and it sucks...meh...

Cowardice/Terrorism/Guerillas is the enemy flavor of the month. Namely because we are the sole superpower of the world and this is the ONLY way they can resist.

I dunno... I hate politics too. When I was a kid my idea of politics was all that smash the system and protest and start riots and shit like that. Mostly because that's the kind of life I lived. I lived issues everyday. I couldn't help but be involved. Now I seem to be more involved in the diplomatic aspects because my body is chained to the military. "You can take my life but you'll never take my soul!" ---Aztlan Undergound

I still hate politics. What a bunch of shit I have to waste my life on. But I can't help but be involved because my life is intimately intertwined with these issues. I really wish I could just go home to my house with the white picket fence and two car garage, 2.5 kids and wife and dog named sparky. buuuutt.... my life has never been that simple.

Originally posted by seeking

hesh,

the funny thing is that i kind of want to join too.

but fuck joining the american army.

i'd rather join the french legion or something.

i'm not completely opposed to the idea of killing, because i'm not completely convinced that i really value life at all. i'm starting to get very nihilistic and hardened to the idea of a better tomorrow.

and as much as you hate people discussing it, i hate people that don't give a shit. the reason i have no problem with your apathy though, is that i know when it comes right down to it, you'll break everything in site and wouldn't adhere to some patriotic nonsense. kill, kill, kill. and somehow, in some way, that makes it all ok.

besides, you're my nig.

And you're my nig seeks....

French foreign legion is hardcore mang! They pay like 2$ a year to people from third world nations who kill with their bare hands and eat hearts and souls and make deadly booby traps out of bones and bile. Maybe you should join the australian or canadian army. But I'm not sure if even they are completely free from the influences of capitalism. At least more free.

Relax home skillett, I am agreeing with you. I just don't think either of them are right. I am all for a head to head fight with everyone having equal weapons. These bombs launched from a battleship 400miles away or a bomber dropping a missile the can go through a window is the same as these guys hiding bombs in the dirt next to a road. It is easy to kill someone if you don't have to look them in their eyes.

That's true about the "cowardice" of launching bombs from hundreds of miles away or from a plane at a high altitude.

However, it's unrealistic for you to say you're all for the US using strictly footsoldiers and the Iraqi's strictly foot soldiers.

The main reason why the U.S. insists on having its way and "policing" rogue nations is simply because it can. And it "can" because it has an overwhelming technological advantage when it comes to an armada of naval warships, bombers, tanks, stealth and non-stealth planes, Apache helicopters, cruise missles, the whole 9. Without that, the US could not simply go into a country and form a "regime" change in a "fair" fight. The US has to fight nations that they know they have an overwhelming advantage over. If we went to war with China with just foot soldiers, we'd lose. Their army is far greater in numbers. But we'd win because of our naval and air superiority over China as well as our strategic positions to strike anywhere on the planet at any given time.

It is not about my friends. It is about people Who hide when kill someone, they are cowards. It is the same thing as shooting from a hospital or a crowd. They are also doing that. They do not have any balls. I am not saying that the US doesn't do the same thing, but it still doesn't make either of them not cowardly assholes.

but the american/european troops there are so courageous for using tanks/hummers/helicopters/extremely expensive equipment on militiamen?

Originally posted by test pattern

it's not cowardly shit just beacuse a few of your friends died from it. this is fucking warfare. what are they supposed to do? scarface it and go out in a noble blaze? screw that. they're doing what they can.

harsh but fair (maybe best left unsaid)

although, the american gunners might as well be playing video games as they gun people down, unseen, from 2km above the ground

you've all seen those recordings on the net. I bet their heart rate don't rise a beat.

Originally posted by BUCK FUSH

actually, guerilla warfare was pioneered by italians

Originally posted by WhiteOx

poor theory

So you're saying that if America wasn't a superpower and had a weak armed forces, it would still police the world?

America polices the world because it has the ability to police the world.

America envoked a regime change in Iraq because it has the power and ability to do so.

Madagascar would never issue a warning to Saddam "or face regime change." Mongolia wouldn't threaten a bombing campaign over Afghanistan to "root out terrorists". And the same would apply to America if our military might was that of a small 3rd world nation.