1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Roadside bombs

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by TheoHuxtable, Apr 28, 2004.

1. TheoHuxtable

TheoHuxtable 12oz Senior Member

Roadside bombs

Discussion started by TheoHuxtable - Apr 28, 2004

As the death toll in Iraq rises, I couldn't help but notice that the most consistent weapon of choice used to kill US and other coalition troops are "roadside bombs". It seems to be simple yet effective, and there seems to be no answer to it.

How do these things work? Is someone in a nearby building watching the U.S. convoy waiting to detonate it by remote?

Why is there no deterrent against it? The troops don't see it on the road ahead of them when their humvee convoy is patrolling the streets?

I can imagine what goes through a person's mind when he's sent on a patrol mission thinking "i could be the next one")

TheoHuxtable - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. test pattern

test pattern 12oz Elite Member

test pattern - Replied Apr 28, 2004

it's not cowardly shit just beacuse a few of your friends died from it. this is fucking warfare. what are they supposed to do? scarface it and go out in a noble blaze? screw that. they're doing what they can.

test pattern - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  3. TheoHuxtable

TheoHuxtable 12oz Senior Member

TheoHuxtable - Replied Apr 28, 2004

Please tell everyone with a straight face that you'd say that if your close family member or best friend got blown up by a roadside bomb. Please tell me that your reaction to an Army representitive telling you the news about your brother getting killed by a roadside bomb would be "well, this is fucking warfare. what are they supposed to do?- they're doing what they can."

TheoHuxtable - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Apr 28, 2004

My reaction would be outrage no matter the method of killing. Be it a roadside bomb or straight up knife to the throat, I wouldn't sympathize whatsoever with the guy.

That said, it's fucking ridiculous to keep calling their tactics cowardly. You can't possibly expect these people to go toe to toe with the Goliath that is the US military. Brave, maybe, but undeniably stupid and a sure way to lose. How can you not expect them to use slingshots to do harm from far away?

5. test pattern

test pattern 12oz Elite Member

test pattern - Replied Apr 28, 2004

sympathy wasn't even the issue. what you just said supports my point.

conversely, if your brother was about to be taken prisoner, so he fled to an abandoned building and shot 5 people from a hidden location, would you call him a coward or just say "what was he supposed to do?"

it's all context.

test pattern - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  6. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

seeking - Replied Apr 28, 2004

they set up bombs on the side of the road, detonate them and kill 5 americans and thats cowardly, but we sent planes over vietnam, dropped NAPALM on hundreds of them, and thats 'strategic'?!?! are you high?!
    as soon as the iraqi's are flying around in their own helicopters, driving their own tanks and humvees, i'll consider the idea that booby traps might be an act of cowardice. until then, fuck off. if they were just out in the open, like they were at the start of the 'war' we would just dop bombs on them and shoot them from helicopters. we would never engage them with foot soldiers. that's not fucking cowardly? by attacking us from crowded areas, they're forcing us to go in and face them man to man. everyday we come up with newer and better technology to send robots and unmanned bomber planes into enimy territory, so we can kill people by remote fucking control, but thats not cowardly?! it's 'cowardly' when an iraqi sits in a nearby house and hits a button, but not cowardly when someone 10,000 miles away sits behind a monitor with a joystick, like he was playing fucking 'flight of the intruder' and bombs a whole village?!

if my brother/father/friend/loved one was killed by a road side bomb in iraq, i'd blame bush for him even being there in the first place, not the iraqi's for trying to tunnel out of alcatraz with nail clippers.

call me unpatriotic, but fair is fair, right is right, and war fucking sucks. to quote many a rapper 'don't start none, won't be none'.
    seen?!

seeking - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  7. imported_Europe - Replied Apr 28, 2004

Seek beat me to it.
    Cowardly, hahaha...

8. DR+DELUSION

DR+DELUSION 12oz Member

DR+DELUSION - Replied Apr 28, 2004

haha now wouldn't that be nice? to bad it's not the least bit realistic.

DR+DELUSION - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  9. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Apr 28, 2004

When your drunken friend is being an asshole, and starts some shit with another guy that could very well get all your asses kicked, who do you stick up for?

10. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

seeking - Replied Apr 28, 2004

in afghanistan, when we were hunting al qaeda and tali ban, we would go out at night, into the mountains and shoot at them. they would scatter and hide, then eventually regroup all in one place. we'd be watching the whole thing on heat sensing devices, so when they would all congregate at one place, we would then drop a bomb on them.
    that's cowardice beyond beliefe.
    we call the guys who hijacked the planes 'cowards', meanwhile they gave their lives for what they believed. fuck that, i dont agree with it, but i respect the fuck out of it. america is a country of pussy's who want fast food and trust funds. we don't believe in anything enough to go heads up with anyone. we proved that in ww2, when we flattened two whole cities, filled with fucking civillians! can you imagine the hellstorm if someone actually mnaged to inflict that kind of damage on american cities? we're ready to dismantle the entire world over 3,000 american lives, and not to belittle them, but that many people die every year due to choking on brussell sprouts.

cilone, it wasnt really directed at you, just general anger at the prevailing idea that they are cowards. they're utilizing what they have, to fight against insurmountable odds, the fact that their even standing up prove their lack of cowardice. it might be 'wrong' and it might be 'misguided', but the last thing it is, is 'cowardly'.

seeks/just ranting.

seeking - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  11. HESHIANDET

HESHIANDET Guest

HESHIANDET - Replied Apr 28, 2004

seeking and i have an unspoken agreement that we never discuss this shit in each others presence. :cool:

to me, talking about this stuff is pointless, and most of you are the last fucking people who have any right to say shit about soemthing. i hate people today. fuck yall.

12. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

BROWNer - Replied Apr 28, 2004

i just read an article on this stuff and the psychology of
    killing somebody at close range and how the closer someone
    gets to a violent combat scene or target, the greater the
    resistance to actually committing the violence becomes.
    up close killing range is referred to as the sexual range, super
    close proximity. in this range the resistance is the greatest due
    to the intensity of near flesh to flesh contact and the effects it
    has on the mind and just the inherent inner resistance most species
    have to killing their own kind.
    on the flip there's low resistance, like a drone or something..
    the greater the physical distance, the lower the resistance to
    committing the violence. basically the further removed you are
    from a warzone, the easier it becomes to almost remote control
    kill people and come away physically and mentally unscathed.
    an example would be a drone, or the
    bombers that fly so high over iraq that nobody can see them.
    this could probably be applied to the media coverage in the west too.
    so...you can't exactly call palestinians or iraqi's cowards.
    you've got to wonder how intense these people are though if you
    consider that such acts are so hard to actually commit, especially
    with the frequency that they occur. maybe it's not so hard when
    you've been under violent occupation for years..i shudder to think.
    btw, if anyone is interested in reading the article, i'm pretty sure
    i read it in the current adbusters....

13. villain

villain 12oz Veteran Member

villain - Replied Apr 28, 2004

Word... There's a dude in my barracks who had a 500lb bomb dropped on his unit by our own air force! The paper doesn't even report that shit. He's got gnarly burns and uses crutches and shit. Shrapnel working it's way out his skin and shit... craziness. Like half his platoon was killed.

We need to drop all these bitchmade contraptions and fight shoalin style. Fist to face and shit....

villain - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  14. villain

villain 12oz Veteran Member

villain - Replied Apr 28, 2004

Oh yeah... and we bombed Fallujah today.

villain - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  15. GnomeToys

GnomeToys 12oz Elite Member

GnomeToys - Replied Apr 28, 2004

Yeah. Those fucking pussies. That would be like if a country was using weapons with such superior range that the enemies they were fighting against never even got a chance to see them before they were destroyed. :rolleyes:

GnomeToys - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages: