RIP HEC

CRUSH KILL DESTROY

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Kool YKay!

I went to New York in 93' and HEC and NOSE had L.E.S. on Lock. Fat cap Rusto tags on all the perm spots!

Take Notes, This cat repped HARD.

Rest In Peace!

• 4 weeks later...

hec ufc was a dope writer....i will never forget the way he influenced alot of writers in new york with that hand of his. a true streetbombing king that will never be forgotten. much respect. rest in eternal peace forever bro...... net one pi.:king: :king:

Guest ceas902

I love raw grafitti like that....

Fat cap tags that seem to scream fuck you!!!

RIP HEC

Just a question for the you boys in new york....

Is his tags still up or have many of them slowly started to fade away...

Just curious.....

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

http://www.powerhousebooks.com/art/s04/autografnet.jpg'>

“I decided to participate in Autograf and work with Peter Sutherland because I thought his idea to take portraits of graffiti writers and compile them in a book was innovative. I mean, who else has done that? As far as I know, nobody.” —NET

Born in Manhattan in 1973, NET started noticing graffiti in 1979. “I used to see PRAY up a lot, and I modeled my first tag, RAY, after her,” NET recalls. “I didn’t really start writing until I was nine or ten. It wasn’t like I was hitting the trains or the streets; it was just locally, you know? A toy has got to start somewhere. What really got me into graffiti was seeing people up in A LOT of different places, like the same person would hit on 14th Street and the Long Island Expressway. I had a lot of questions in my head, like who are these people? Why are they doing this? How did they do it? The first tags I used to see around—PRAY, CHISSY, P13, OE TMD, CHRIS 217, and JONONE 156—these are the people inspired me.

“I experimented with a few names prior to settling with the one I have now. I had the names TRIL, TAVE, TGIF, and DECK. I came up with NET in 1987 and have been writing that ever since. The most active I have been is from 1998 to the present, but its not like I’m banging out throw-ups and going bombing on a regular basis. I almost always carry around something to write with though (markers, mops).

“I really love taking tags and that’s what I’m renowned for in graffiti. I love walking tracks in and around the city—all different rail lines, like points from the north and south coming into and out of the New York City metro area. These spots get a lot of play. They’re high visibility areas. I also love taking tags in the streets but now it’s a little different with the police. It’s a lot harder to cover a lot of ground with the police and security up the ying yang. It sucks to get bagged—I’ve had enough of it.

“I’m painting canvases and delving into other artistic endeavors—as opposed to constantly looking over my shoulder every time I hit up a tag. This is what keeps me in check—artwork other than graffiti. My paintings are character based and I use graffiti punctuation and accents. I try to strictly use materials that writers use (spray paint, paint markers, homemade markers, squeeze bottles, bucket paint, stickers). I am inspired by New York City—through interaction with people from all walks of life in bars, restaurants, in the subway, on the street.”

On his photograph in Autograf, underneath his name NET wrote, “HEC UFC RIP.” When asked about this, he explained, “I had just met him the night he died. We went bombing in the tunnels and he was struck by a train and killed. It was really strange. We knew each other through mutual friends (KECH REC, CB FTR) and my ex-girlfriend used to work for his wife. HEC UFC, a.k.a. Hector Ramirez, was a very talented artist. He was the senior art director for the graphic design firm AMSTER YARD. He worked on the Stella Artois campaign, and did a few Lugz clothing ads. He also received awards in Belgium for his graphic design work. I was deeply affected by his passing, and I am sure he is smiling down on earth right now. Rest in peace, HEC. Your memory will not be forgotten. You are my primary motivation for wanting to do art other than graffiti. Rest in peace.”

• 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived