Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Ridin the rails

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by UnionPBS, May 26, 2002.

1. UnionPBS

UnionPBS New Jack

Can soemone drop some education on me about ridin rails, which trains to ride, and what not, it would be grteatly appreciated. Thanx

2. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

They already have. Don't be lazy, look through all the threads listed here, there are several about hopping. In particular read the Yard Safety thread just to get started, then anything by a guy named Kabar.

3. UnionPBS

UnionPBS New Jack

Thanx, but i read a lot, and i still cant really find out how to reach a destination point, even one within a 100KM of where i am going, so can someone help me, thanx!!:D

4. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder 12oz Loyalist

to find out where someothing is going you pretty much have to ask a worker.

5. WITS

WITS Member

Just ask...

I remember when I didn't know shit about hopping trains I always wondered how the fuck you're supposed to know where a train is going???? Then some homeless guy downtown came up and we talked for probably 2 hours and he told me all this crazy shit about riding freights and whatnot. He had just got here from kansas City (Seems someone's always just getting here from Kansas City from a freight...hmmm) I hooked him up with a few bucks..yeah anwyay..
    Just ask one of the yard workers and they will tell you.. Most of the time. Seems crazy but it's true.

6. UnionPBS

UnionPBS New Jack

Thanx a lot wits, i appreciate it, my buddies dad is a worker, but i can never get a hold of him, thanx anyway, i will use that fer sure:king:

7. pants

pants New Jack

be careful and respectful when talking to workers....dont ask to much and dont be stupid. remember they are there working and sometimes might not have all the time you need from them get what you can out of them but be frank. old timers are the best most of them understand the history of ridin and can give you all kinds of info. its best not to apporach with a pack on or if you live in the area check out the yard a couple days before leaving for info and find out of there are any daily trains that leave everyday from the same spot or come thru. trains are confusin but sometimes you gotta faith ride them.

weeeeee

8. Beep

Beep Junior Member

my advice is dont ride them.

9. FR8HOUND

FR8HOUND Dirty Dozen Crew

RIDING THE RAILS ISN'T PRETTY, ITS' A TOUGH JOB, NOT TO MENTION ALSO DANGEROUS, THERE ARE ALOT OF ''WACKO'S'' OUT THERE TOO, LOOKING FOR GUYS LIKE YOU, A ''NOVICE'', BUT WHAT THE HELL,SOMEONE HAS TO DO IT, AND YOU GOT TO START SOMEWHERE....THE BEST ADVICE ONE CAN GIVE, IS....ALWAYS BE ALERT!!!!!!!!! AND TRY TO NEVER RIDE ALONE, UNTIL YOU GET SOME MILES UNDER YOUR BELT, BUT IT'S ALWAYS SAFER TO RIDE WITH A PARTNER....RESEARCH IT WELL, VERY WELL, THERE IS ALOT TO KNOW, AND LEARN, AND BEING MISINFORMED WILL MOST LIKELY GET YOUR ASS IN JAIL, BEAT UP, OR ON SOMEBODY'S WEBSITE AS A BLOODY-DISMEMBERED PHOTOGRAPH.......BE SAFE, BE SMART.........

10. mugshot

mugshot Guest

A BUUDY OF MINE WAS RIDING WITH A FRIEND OF HIS FROM TEXAS, THE FRIEND UNFORTUNATELY LOST HIS LEG BELOW THE KNEE FROM A FALL THEN BECAME TANGLED UP AND DRAGGED, SO SHIT AINT A WALK IN THE PARK, I'D ADVISE STUDYIN UP ON SHIT 1ST..

11. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

Novice Advice

Find an experienced trainhopper to go with at first.
    Travel in a pair, at least.
    Always take at least a gallon of water with you.
    Never drink booze or take drugs before hopping.
    Don't jump a moving freight--board while the train is standing still.
    Stay seated with your back against the forward bulkhead as much as possible.
    If you're in a boxcar, always deadman the door with a 2x4 so it can't rattle shut.
    Never board a car with a stranger, and if a stranger boards your car, GET OFF. Tell them, "Hey, this car is full." If they come on anyway, get off the car.
    Start off with short hops, from one rural area to another rural area at first. Urban trainhopping can be exceedingly dangerous.
    Don't skyline yourself, not in a Yard, and not on a train. HIDE.
    Wear darker clothing, wear boots, take gloves and a hat. If you're going at night, take a blanket or two rolled up into a "bindle" with a cotton rope for a sling.
    Take a map of the area, a compass, and a legal knife. I also carry a little flashlight I got at WalMart for $8--it takes two AAA batteries.
    If you need to sleep, go off away from the Yard and the trains and find a safe place to sleep by yourself.

READ DUFFY LITTLEJOHN'S BOOK--"Hopping Freight Trains in North America," Sand River Press, 1319-14th Street, Los Osos, CA 93402. It costs $13.95 + shipping $1.95. California add $1.01 for sales tax. Sixteen bucks out-of-state, seventeen bucks if you're from California. More or less.

The more you study trainhopping, the safer you are. USE COMMON SENSE.

12. LethalDosage

LethalDosage Guest

KABAR

North Bank Fred's Website

Kabar--

Just wanted to point you in this direction in the small chance you haven't seen this. I'm sure you have but here it is anyways.

For everyone else this is an AWESOME site for Railfan, Hopping, Photo's, and a few urban adventure stories to boot...

Definately worth checking out, and the stories are really good too.

A.

LD

13. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

North Bank Fred

North Bank Fred is a major trainhopping and streak documentarian. The "Boxcar Bertha" photograph of FTRA members on the FTRA web site is his. (The ludricrous story beneath Fred's photograph is the work of Eric "Jaks" Jackson, who really ought to know better.) I've actually exchanged emails with NBF, and a few other "famous" trainhoppers, but they are laying low on the net because of all the heat generated by news stories about yuppie hobos, alleged FTRA killers like Sidetrack, 9/11 and so on.
    I've been told that North Bank Fred gets his moniker from the "north bank" of the Columbia River route, which he supposedly frequented when younger and still rides some.

There is a loosely-organized group of trainhoppers, artists, photographers , musicians and so forth that all know each other. I believe North Bank is part of this group, and that they contribute to each other's websites and other artistic endeavors.

14. LethalDosage

LethalDosage Guest

Jaks was definately a little outspoken...i used to be on the OOOOLLLLDDD hobo newsletter/mailing list from a few years back with him and MANY others, he seemed to really know his shit. Does he still runs www.DeadTrainBums.com ???

I could never tell that dudes age though, sometimes he seemed not a day over 19...then sometimes he seemed 50. Was kinda mysterious guy...

dunno...just wanted everyone to get that site...its a gem.

15. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

It sure is a gem. North Bank Fred is a hot shit photographer.