Rick Moranis Dead at 51.

iloveboxcars

WASHINGTON - Rick Moranis, star of children's favorite 'Honey I Shrunk The Kids', and the classic 'Spaceballs' died yesterday, at age 51.

Moranis was fatally injured at 11:50 a.m. Sunday when struck by a north-bound train one-half mile north of the Napavine depot while running on the track in front of the speeding locomotive.

Rushed to the Chehalis hospital by K. L. Marvin, ambulance driver, he was pronounced dead on arrival, and Coroner Joe Chytil was called to conduct an investigation.

Bud Nacht, who accompanied Marvin on the ambulance call, reported the conductor of the train said "[he] was running down the track apparently trying to flee from the engine, and we were unable to stop the train in time to prevent hitting him."

Deputy Sheriff Arthur E. Roswell, who conducted series of tests at mile post 63, scene of the accident, in an effort to better understand the baffling death, clung to a pole six feet from the railroad tracks while a train rushed by in similated circumstances. Roswell said that even had Moranis stepped from the tracks, he would have been sucked under the wheels of the "monster" if he had been that close to the engine.

"That's the most terrifying experience I’ve ever had," said Roswell. "That train loomed out of the dark in an overpowering manner. It towered upon the spot as it roared down upon me, and I believe no man could have hung onto that post with the suction that was caused by the air currents."

Sighted by Engineer

Moranis was sighted by the engineer as he ran down the track, and reportedly made no effort to get off the path of the heavily-laden locomotive.

Mrs. Margaret J. Holtberg, Napavine telephone operator, told a Daily Chronicle reporter Moranis was known locally as a "very cheery person." "People would always ask to take pictures with him," the operator said, "he always obliged, and he was always cheerful and smiling."

Citizens of hometown in Toronto, Canada were shocked at the news of his death and could recall no reason.

Rick Moranis was widowed in the early 1990s when his wife died of cancer. He is survived by his two children from that marriage.

The body is at the Sticklin mortuary in Chehalis, where it was identified by Burton and funeral arrangements are pending.

Coroner Chytil declined to be quoted as saying the death was suicide, but said further investigation into the circumstances was being made, although indications pointed to suicide.

http://24.46.68.186:40/yahoo/entertainment/07866.html

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.