rich people's garbage?

I R NET GANG

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

when i was 17 and got my first place, my roomate and i took his truck down to the rich neighborhoods for about a month straight the night before garbage day and scooped up tons of shit

got a 52" mitsubishi widescreen that's only problem was that the remote didn't work & there was a peice of plastic blocking the on/off switch

got a leather lounge set

and countless amounts of other cool shit

edit:

fuckin typo's

i don't feel right doing that stuff.. I know its cool for the "hipsters" and "trendsters" to find old mesh hats and extra small shirts that say: "Divers Do It Deeper in the Bahamas".. but that scene just isnt me. going through other peoples trash is kind of like saying

"Hey Im a big fat loser! why dont you punch me in my ear?!"

Originally posted by ubejinxed

i'm too embarrassed to do anything like this.

go really late at night ... stealth reckon mission styles. in and out...

that's what we did ... was quite a piss up, actually. think we were laughing to loud to even be remotely near 'stealthy' about it

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

you mean 'dumpster diving'!

i dont dumpster dive, but im not against

coming up on some free stuff.

hey, fuck it, its free! i remember when

i first flew from the nest. i had milk crates

for chairs. i had a small square restaurant

table for a table, and hand me down dishes

from my mom. I was brought up to

appreciate what I have.

me and my brother once found one of those new futuristic-type 4-plate stoves sitting outside someones house with a sign on it saying 'perfect working order.please take'.needless to say, we took it. needless to say when we got home we tried it out and something minor was wrong with it, i think it doesn't ignite properly or something. it works quite well though, once you ignite. it still sits in a corner in the kitchen to this day (about 2 months later). we'll prolly sell, donate or trade for weed and/or doughnuts or a beta-max video recorder thing or some other shit.

When the rich kids leave college, there is plenty of stuff up for grabs. I've found the following since I've been in this town (all working or in good shape). Some of it the university was throwing away:

2 Mattresses

5 Working Computer Monitors

2 Color Printers

1 Apple Powerbook 3400c

10 Keyboard/Mouse sets

1 GC/MS Machine valued at something like $12,000 but unable to test

2 Percocets and a Vicodin

1 Vaccuum Cleaner

Various Air Conditioners

Some framed posters

Various tables, dishes

Too many couches, chairs, and lamps to count.

there was this mom and pop store by my house and the owners died and the construction workers who refurnished it to the store it is now and what not were not aloud to take anything and threw everything out in a dumpster.....cans galore!!!!! im still living off the stash

Ive gotten a nice big screen tv out of the garbage working condition....i dont know why they threw it out. Also check the dumpsters behind circuit city...they usually lock it so bring bolt cutters. the merchandise that is damaged in shipping or returned and cant be shipped out for repairs go there. brand new cam corders walkmans cameras ect with usually only minor things wrong like a scratch or a broken button.

Originally posted by ASN

Ive gotten a nice big screen tv out of the garbage working condition....i dont know why they threw it out. Also check the dumpsters behind circuit city...they usually lock it so bring bolt cutters. the merchandise that is damaged in shipping or returned and cant be shipped out for repairs go there. brand new cam corders walkmans cameras ect with usually only minor things wrong like a scratch or a broken button.

Anyword on this being true for like Best Buy? And I'm assuming this is illegal right?

Originally posted by ASN

Also check the dumpsters behind circuit city...they usually lock it so bring bolt cutters. the merchandise that is damaged in shipping or returned and cant be shipped out for repairs go there.

You WILL get prosecuted for that shit. You're defacing private property, which just happens to belong to a multi-million dollar retail corporation. This IS channel zero by the way. So don't bring up graffiti how graffiti is vandilism, too.

On the dumpster diving tip, the legal issues depend on where you live. I know here a case was thrown out recently, but if it's private property, and you're caught by someone who is affiliated with the company, what to do with you is up to them. They could tell you have at it, get out and don't come back, call the cops, or even hurt you. The latter is highly unlikely to happen, but I'm sure it has.

To me, as long as I'm diving for something for personal use and not profit, I think it'd be perfectly fine.

Back to retail stores; stores like Best Buy, Fry's, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc have bolted dumpsters with compactors integrated into them. So they are not necessarily safe to be playing around in. Just stick to the mom and pop shit and small businesses and you'll be cool. Bring a small flash light, box cutter, latex gloves, and some flattened boxes. Flash light so you can see, box cutter for obvious purposes, gloves for when things can get dirty. The boxes are optional; if you're worried of being caught, keep them in the trunk of your car so you can say you were just looking for boxes because you're moving blah blah blah.

I tend to be an advocate of the truth, so if I get caught by the police, I tell them what I'm up to. Often times they'll be cool with it and ask you to leave, so don't be a cock to them. They are just making a routine stop and you understand why, and you don't want to fuck that up and end up getting a slap on the wrist for being a jerk-off.

Personal experience....

:)

junk night happens about once every three months around here, and it's always amazing. the city has an amnesty and will pick up anything you leave on the curb, so the garbage hawks (antique dorks, hipsters, and crackheads) will be on it like flies on shit, but most of the time there is enough stuff for everyone. one time we got sixteen working television sets and stacked them on top of each other in a giant pyramid and watched the simpsons. then we smashed them in the street.

Me and my dad used to go through the garbage and dumpsters all the time when I was a kid.

It's true, you can find some good shit in the dumpsters. I try not to make a habit of it, but at the same time I ain't one of those stuck up people who wouldn't want to "lower" themselves by picking up coins off the ground or getting some good working items out of the trash can.

a few weeks back i snagged the short part of a two piece L shaped couch

as far as i can tell there isnt anything wrong with it

no stains, no odor

the fabric on it is pretty retarded looking though

so once i get around to it, im going to recover it

The only thing I've taken from rich people's lawns is their giant plastic snowmen during Christmas time... I love them! I almost got caught once when I couldn't unplug the damn thing. I used one as a giant lamp for a while. Hey, at least I didn't take the nativity scenes...

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by gfreshsushi

junk night happens about once every three months around here, and it's always amazing. the city has an amnesty and will pick up anything you leave on the curb, so the garbage hawks (antique dorks, hipsters, and crackheads) will be on it like flies on shit, but most of the time there is enough stuff for everyone. one time we got sixteen working television sets and stacked them on top of each other in a giant pyramid and watched the simpsons. then we smashed them in the street.

That was dumb...

there is NO shame in dumpster diving. Ask me how I got my free 3rd gen 10gig ipod...go ahead ask me...yeah thats right.

My last apartment had a dumpstered living room. 2 couches, a table made from milk crates with a big sheet of glass on top, entertainment system with teh ghetto surround sound, a stereo, 4 speakers, and a vcr. and that was just the living room.

Half of the shit I won I got out of other peoples garbage.

And whoever said college kids garbage knows what they are talking about...in late april and the begining of may I go through the neighborhood around the local university and will just grab shit out the trash such as tv's, computer monitors, keyboards, stereo's, small kitchen appliances and the like and find them good homes. If someone offers me money for them thats cool too. I would much rather see a perfectly good working whatever teh fuck it is be passed on then just sent to the landfill. Americans are so wasteful.