RIAA nails 1,000 music-lovers in 'new Prohibition'

slightly

The Recording Industry Association of America's attack on US culture has escalated at an alarming pace this week.

On Friday the lobby group that works on behalf of the large, mostly foreign-owned, music conglomerates that own the music copyrights and distribution channels confirmed that it was serving subpoenas at the rate of 75 a day on US citizens for the crime of sharing the music they love.

This signals a change of tactics for the RIAA: as now each individual file sharer is potentially responsible for thousands of dollars in damages. Once they were shielded by ISPs, but in the wake of the Verizon case, individuals are now exposed to direct intimidation. The RIAA is beside itself with glee: and boasted that a thousand music-lovers had already been busted.

The escalation in violence threatens to bring the US criminal justice system to an impasse: although the prison industry is already full to the brim, the RIAA's actions make new criminals out of tens of millions of ordinary US citizens. As Boycott-RIAA's founder Bill Evans notes, "there are more file-sharers than voters for either candidate at the last Presidential Election".

When Evans dubs the 'Recording Incarceration Industry of America' he's only half-joking. If the RIAA was to be indulged in its whims, the statistics suggest that the USA would rapidly become a vast, continent-wide penal colony. And that's hardly a beacon of liberty to shine on the rest of the world. Particularly when, with the backing of the much-maligned US military, the RIAA is ripping up liberal social copyright laws and replacing them with its own.

Not surprisingly, this has provoked a deep counter-reaction which is finally, and belatedly, taking to the streets. On August 1 and 2, Boycott-RIAA and affiliated groups will be holding anti-RIAA rallies across the country.

Well, here's your alarm call. While it may seem to be invincible, the RIAA is desperately vulnerable: and it knows it. It's under threat of anti-competitive lawsuits, its key DC placemen are under fierce scrutiny ... and the mass criminalization of innocent US citizens is a most coercive step citizens have seen since the Prohibition era.

But can you compel your neighbor to give up lawnmowing, or weblogging, for long enough to make a real difference? Well, read them this attack on family values

I cannot accept that the "Land of the Free" is accepting the nonsense propounded by the RIAA.

This desire to fine and litigate is becoming pervasive and foolishly assumes that you can modify normal human behaviour with LAW.

Firstly - all art forms are like children in that the creative urge is similar to the urge to reproduce. If we accept this analogy then it follows that as you do not own your children for their entire life you cannot expect to own your art for it's entire life. In fact, if the rules currently in force where in place in the earlier part of the last century then many films could not have been made and much music could not have been produced. Music belongs to us all.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this shits just a little harsh thats all im saying, all i download is like jay z or mainstream stuff i dont sit and try to find rare copies of mixtapes or anything.

the thing i hate about this orginization though, is that you cannot play more than two songs within the same hour by the same artist on internet radio stations, fuck that. That restricts my radio show so fuckin much.

Originally posted by Vanity

i dont see why people are so upset.

you are stealing.

pfft. I am just BRIMMING OVER with sympathy for the music industry. those people have put every available resource into pushing lightweight, forgettable, disposable music on the market, and then are shocked to find that people veiw music as disposable and without (financial) worth?

Fuck Them. I hope this brings down the music industry, and we are forced to listen to music made by friends and locally.

Originally posted by bodice_ripper

pfft. I am just BRIMMING OVER with sympathy for the music industry. those people have put every available resource into pushing lightweight, forgettable, disposable music on the market, and then are shocked to find that people veiw music as disposable and without (financial) worth?

Fuck Them. I hope this brings down the music industry, and we are forced to listen to music made by friends and locally.

just because you think of it as 'forgettable, disposable' doesnt mean everybody does.

alot of people probably think that about a Tupac album fits that description. however, i think it is the exact opposite. and thats just one example.

you would like to be 'forced to listen to music made by friends and locally'. what the fuck? you would like the world as a whole to be 'forced' into listening to a certain thing? thats dumb as fuck.

nobody 'forced' you to listen or buy the albums you deem unworthy, so quit your whining - i thought you left 12oz anyway? you make a Tease post seem like a cozy blanket on a winter night.

Originally posted by mapo returns

just because you think of it as 'forgettable, disposable' doesnt mean everybody does.

alot of people probably think that about a Tupac album fits that description. however, i think it is the exact opposite. and thats just one example.

:

perhaps you have so far avoided some of the Sclub 7 style shite that's in overdrive of late, but no matter, give you time

I'm glad my post irritates you. I have been on here on and off all along. I thought YOU said YOU were leaving. But then, I suppose you also said you were black.... :)

kiss kiss

Originally posted by bodice_ripper

perhaps you have so far avoided some of the Sclub 7 style shite that's in overdrive of late, but no matter, give you time

I'm glad my post irritates you. I have been on here on and off all along. I thought YOU said YOU were leaving. But then, I suppose you also said you were black.... :)

nice job completely avoiding my counter-argument. give me a list of bands you like, i bet theyre all shit. but that doesnt mean a dumb bitch like yourself shouldnt be allowed to buy it. but youre obviously far too stupid and just generally fucked up to understand and carry on an intelligent debate.

oh and i am black, honey. i know a few people on here try to question me since i dont seem to have the sterotypical, 'hate the white man, vote democrat' attitude - which by the way isnt all that realistic outside of pop culture, but thats another thread.

maybe sometime soon ill post a pic of myself just to cut all the bullshit.

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

If they don't want people downloading music, they shouldn't charge $30 for a CD. Fuck them, I agree with bodice 100%. I'll keep doing it until they're banging on my door.....

hey asshole.

Lexus charges $55,000 for a car. Does that give you the right to steal one?

You probably think so, but youre too pussy to do some shit like that.

If you dont like what they charge dont buy it you stupid fuck.

Oh and just to make things clear, I download shit like a madman.

I literally have about 400 mp3s. I havent bought a cd in about a year.

But all Im saying is that its wrong. Just because I do it and like it doesnt make it right. Excuse-making assholes is what you both are.

i download music.

i only download songs that i know i can't get ahold of in a store. [mostly trance...hehe]

but other than that, i support the artist(s) by buying their CD...and then ripping it into my computer and then making a burnt copy for me to put into my car. :)

or i would make my own mixed CD.

but if it's southern rap stuff, i'd either borrow it then burn it or download it. just because supporting people who flaunt their money and talking about sluts is not my thing. heh...

hey asshole.

If you dont like what they charge dont buy it you stupid fuck.

Oh and just to make things clear, I download shit like a madman.

I literally have about 400 mp3s. I havent bought a cd in about a year.

But all Im saying is that its wrong. Just because I do it and like it doesnt make it right. Excuse-making assholes is what you both are.

Hahaha.....this kittens got claws! Looks like we struck a chord with this one.

Fuck off with this holier than thou bullshit. I could give a fuck less what your opinions are. I'll download music to my heart's content, even if it does make mapo cry.......

hey asshole.

well, if i could download a $55,000 car off the internet then i probably would

Well now that I am in Canada I am out of the RIAA's reach.

Maybe when teachers are paid more than musicians I'll start paying for a CD.

Seriously, why do you need all that money? You don't need millions to live.

Oh, Mapo is the first member on my ignore list. wahey.

Originally posted by Kyuzo

well, if i could download a $55,000 car off the internet then i probably would

i know.

but you wont go out and steal it the old fashioned way because youre a pussy. thats the point i was making.

you dont make me cry by stealing music. i dont fucking care. i download music to my hearts content, but i know im stealing. you people download music and try to justify it, that makes you an asshole cocksucking motherfucker. see the difference?

to the guy who ignored me. good. you dont deserve to read my posts anyway. i hereby forbid you from ever reading one of my posts again.

i dont think that stealing a LEXUS and a few songs is a good comparison although i do see the point you are trying to make. The funny thing is you would get in less trouble for stealing a Lexus than getting caught with all of the music you have downloaded. What, on song alone is gonna cost you $150,000? That's fucking retarded. I remember the good old days when you wanted to steal music you had to get off your ass and go to the store.

Fuck it you might as well steal a lexus.

but youre obviously far too stupid and just generally fucked up to understand and carry on an intelligent debate.

"...................................."

you people download music and try to justify it, that makes you an asshole cocksucking motherfucker.

Go back to the army with your psuedo-intellecual gibberish. Oh, that's right......I must have forgot, you're a pussy. But..........I thought we were pussies, because we aren't dumb enough to go steal a lexus. Damn, man, now you've got me all confused with your intelligent debating.

So we share music, what is the big fucking deal? It's out there for us to use and distribute. Why don't radios get shut down? I can just as easily record a song off the radio, all it takes is a little extra time for it to surface in the rotation. Fuck the RIAA. They brought this onto themselves.

you dont make me cry by stealing music. i dont fucking care. i download music to my hearts content, but i know im stealing. you people download music and try to justify it, that makes you an asshole cocksucking motherfucker. see the difference?

and another person's agenda is your business since... ?

if you come into a public place, to read public opinions, you have to expect to see things you don't agree with mapo...

its like you said - in your opinion tupac isn't mindless pop drivel which seems to populate air frequencies these days ... and its like my homie dazzle said - in his opinion its criminal to be charging $30 for a plastic disk that costs them $0.50 to make and a few extra dollars to market...

in other words, its ALWAYS a matter of opinion and an opinion ain't right no matter where it comes from, ever...

you sure you're into your twenties and not your teens? even people with the most basic grasp on common sense should be able to pick something like this out...

i steal music,

i love stealing music.

i love sharing it too.

the interweb has helped me find new bands who ive actually went out and bought their cd. come find me up here riaa. whoo hoo. kazaa is from sweden anyways.

im gonna go steal some more music.

Archived