Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Revok vs. H&M

Discussion in 'News' started by ClownPrince, Mar 14, 2018.

1. ClownPrince

ClownPrince Member

One Man Banned likes this.
  2. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

Ha, great topic, wish we had more heads on here for discussion. Can't knock the guy too hard as I've enjoyed seeing his shit from early days on. Guess the question here is who gets to profit from a crime? Like the technique of how he did what he did, but... really wouldn't consider that art per se. Tried to find a bigger pic to see if he wrote his name or something but doesn't appear that way.

If you do something in public, illegally no less, aren't you leaving it there for the public to do with as it sees fit? Would he sue someone who buffed over it? But then the issue really is he's mad about someone making money off his creations. Funny that his suit says something about HM using his shit gives him a bad name. Without this suit I would have passed that ad and never even have thought a writer did that, nor would I have associated those lines with Revok. Interesting counter suit too, provokes the authorities.

Feel somewhat divided on this topic. Like with the 5 Pointz lawsuit, that kind of seemed like stop crying and get over it, and yet they won so apparently a judge agrees (sure it's on appeal so we'll see if it changes/reverses). Anyhow, there are some comparisons that could be made. Yet in this case... on the one hand I feel like tough loss/stop crying, on the other hand, I wouldn't want any corporation/business using something I did without permission to make $ for themselves. But then again, he left it out there for all. And they're not really making money from his name/art. Fuck it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  3. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

Seriously, stupidest thing I've heard this year.

"I'm not willing to respect the law that protects public property but I want the law to protect what I illegally put on that public property".

Get a fucking grip, you put it out there, you force it on the public, you can't complain when the public uses it. It's like a drug dealer reporting to police that some one ripped him off on a deal. Has to be a stunt, cannot actually be serious.

4. ClownPrince

ClownPrince Member

https://www.thedailybeast.com/graff...n-claims-they-have-no-right-to-their-own-work

5. Fist 666

Fist 666 Moderator Crew

Joined: Jun 16, 2007 Messages: 14,152 Likes Received: 1,003
    I'm torn on the issue.

The only reason I side with Revok is the counter suit from H&M against him. If they just used his lines (which is pretty much all he does now based on his IG, occasionally its cool, but most of it is far too 'street art' for me to give a fuck about it) in the background of an ad, and he sued, I'd be on the same page as christo, but because they responded as such, fuck 'em.

However, if he wins (and the whole thing is not simply just dropped) I think it sets a potentially dangerous precedent. If an architect or firm puts up a skyscraper that winds up in the background of an ad for a company they disagree with, would they not be able to use the same case to have their building removed from said ad campaign?

6. One Man Banned

Liked that 2nd article better, explained shit a bit better. Have to say good for him for backing them down, I do remember other MSK/CBS guys raising this issue a long time back. Also good to hear from Ket and Slick, wish we had active forums where some of the O.G.s could speak on some of this and some other things because social media doesn't give the room and I don't use it anyhow. I also enjoyed this point "H&M is about to start a war with people who gladly destroy private property for fun in their free time."

7. ClownPrince

ClownPrince Member

I've been told that some instances like this exist, where the architect registers a trademark for the shape/design of the building and so subsequently usage rights are needed in order to portray it.

You're right though, it was the counter claim that rubs the wrong way. Also, this:

The plot thickens.

8. One Man Banned

By chance I came across some different writers discussing similar issues with similar, good points made.
    Also by chance I came across this piece of artwork I flicked 8(?) years ago and this is as good a place as any to put it:

msk.jpg

9. Brink

Brink Junior Member

I think oddly enough revok is the only person to not make a public statement on this so far

10. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

...., assuming that you know everyone behind each username

11. enteruncreativename

enteruncreativename Member

I think his post here would be all caps ranting about how they stole his artwork with several exclamation marks at the end of his sentence. I think it's stupid to argue about someone using your illegal work elsewhere, at the end of the day you're just stating the fact that you need to be prosecuted...

12. Bitmann

Bitmann New Jack

interesting review

13. theprotester

theprotester Moderator Crew

Lol don't all writers have a legal team on retainer?

Fuck all of this noise