Rest In Peace PEAR TITS ATK

chuck s.

Pear was a great guy. anyone that knew him loved to be around him. always trying to have a good time.

I will never forget him or the great times i had with him.

If anyone has pictures of his pieces please post them.

Pear is a Legend. He will be missed greatly & never forgotten by everyone that knew him.

Time Is Too Short

Pear_03.jpg.bfc6f06bf94be7412db919cfd71f86e9.jpg

Photo99.jpg.b5c6b611b568529eaf93e3dedaee40c7.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

People Profiles 09.21.06

R.I.P. Aric Southard, graffiti artist

By David Wirth, INK

On Monday, Sept. 4, I interviewed Aric Southard for this story. A week later, on Sept. 12, Aric died at the age of 35. Pear, as he was known to his friends, was loved by many. Walk around south Salinas and you’ll see paper stickers and fliers pasted up bearing his name and the letters “R.I.P.” Check your MySpace bulletins from the past couple of weeks and chances are that at least one or two of them will read, “Pear: Rest in Peace.” He was an artist, a friend and a fixture of the local skate scene. He will be missed.

DAVID WIRTH: You’ve been in this area a long time. Do you want to talk about your background?

PEAR: : I come from a family of art. My dad (Andy Southard Jr.) is famous pretty much worldwide for his photographs. He’s got six or seven books under his belt. In the ’50s he was the photo editor for “Rod and Custom” and “Hot Rod” magazines. I’m just another extension of this family of art guys. When my dad dies I’ll still be doing the (things) that I do now and the (things) he did when he was a kid. Between me and him we have almost a century of Southerners doing skateboarding, hot rodding — all that (stuff). I don’t know why I stay here sometimes. I’m a mole in a hole like everyone else. I like this area, though. This place sucks, but it’s a good outlet to go to a lot of different places, and you know what? The weather is pretty nice. It’s like the savage land or some Shangri-La. Everywhere else you go, it’s a hundred degrees. Go to Gilroy and it’s a hundred degrees, you go down to Big Sur, it’s crazy. Right here, it’s cool.

D: : How did your art show go? (Sept. 1 at Bill’s Wheels in Salinas)

P: : That was packed. Super packed. This guy’s been filming me lately, so we had a whole video presentation. I had all my old skateboard original art that I drew. All the graphics that I did. When I worked at Bill’s Wheels I used to draw skateboard graphics, too. Besides graffiti I’ve done all kinds of other stuff. I had the original art, I had the boards, I had all my graffiti stuff. I used boards from Bill’s — that was pretty much free canvas. I have other stuff on masonite, I had canvasses. Just a boatload of stuff. It looked really cool because the place was packed full of art, people, the video thing. I was going to have a DJ, too, but this guy had some problems with his family, so no DJ.

D: : How does graffiti tie into art?

P: : Graffiti’s everywhere, but there’re two parts to it. There’s graffiti and graffiti art. Graffiti revolves more around a name, and that is graffiti writers. Graffiti writers are the people that will go out and write their name. Anything after that, to a degree, turns more into art because there’s more substance. It’s not a tag on the side of a building. It’s a multi-colored who-knows-what. The productions people do nowadays, it’s just the most amazing, surrealistic art that I’ve ever seen. It’s mind-blowing that a spray can will do that. The real stereotype around here is that graffiti is just graffiti writing. There’s such a bigger part to it. These guys are very skilled artists, super talented. And they’re not just doing graffiti; they’re doing all types of stuff — film and music industry and just all this amazing stuff. Professional stuff. Either tattooing or the skateboard graphics or these guys that graffiti and do limited edition shoes for Nike. All that stuff. That’s high-dollar, high-paying stuff. It’s not just some kid crawling out and tagging. Graffiti art, compared to most other styles of art, is the most ... It’s like skateboarding. Every time you go on your skateboard there’s something new you could do. Graffiti, it’s the same thing. There’s an infinite possibility of styles of art in graffiti. Other kinds of art, pretty much you do landscapes, you do landscapes. You’ve seen one tree you’ve seen pretty much them all. Graffiti is always different. Graffiti is no Thomas Kinkade.

D: : You mentioned your success. Do you want to talk about that?

P: : Yeah. Skateboard graphics. All the stuff I did in the skateboard industry. The fact that I worked at Bill’s Wheels for 13 years, and skateboarding itself just being a big piece of art itself. The actual skateboarding and the design and all the elements of products in skateboarding, all that. That’s what I was immersed in. I loved it, man.

I hadn’t seen Pear for several years before this interview. I was never really close to him, but I was just as affected by his charisma as anyone else, and by the end of the interview it felt like I was hanging out at Bill’s Wheel’s during some afternoon in 1999. Rest in peace, Pear.