requiem for a dream

ohnoone

i know there was a topic about this a long time ago, but i just saw the shit, and fuck me. this is one of the most disturbing movies ive seen in a while. i seriously got up and layed on the floor in my bathroom during the last five minutes. anyone else?

other fucked up movies to suggest?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest platapie

man req was a good movie but sum parts i agree i was likewhoa! gummo is pretty good. if any1 nos what subtitle looks like check out the midget in that movie and tell me there not sum how related.

Guest beardo

i got jipped ta def on that one. i get it at blockbuster.. they only carry the EDITED version. it still left me with a weird feeling, but i gotta see the real deal

Guest dBUSH

I thought it was a good movie- a little excessive maybe- I didn't dig the rapid scene jumping though. They should show that movie to little kids instead of all that D.A.R.E. bullshit, I sure know not to do heroin now.

some other good or just fucked up movies to check out:

- the edge of depravity

- fantastic planet

- cannibal ferox (or cannibal holocaust is the U.S. version i think, i may be wrong)

- dismembering mama

- gummo (already a classic)

- flowers in the attic

keep em' coming.

I agree, anything by John Waters is fucked up, but his movie's really are just unusual to watch, they never really effect me.

If you liked Requeim for a Dream make sure you see Pi (as in the math symbol), it's by the same director. I thought it was even better than RFAD.

Also, check out Dancer in the Dark. Bjork's movie. It's amazing, it'll have you sobbing. I mean literally, none of that watery eye crap, you will be crying. It's a great flick.

Last but not least, best movie of all time.. (drum roll)... Momento. It's about this guy who looses his short term memory due to a blow to the head by the people who were raping and killing his wife. He can't remember anything past that point, all he knows is he has to kill these men.. See it!!

Oh, and Gummo takes place only about an hour away from my house in Xenia, OH. haha. But it was really filmed in Tenn. so it doesn't count.

------------------

PRUDE - If I had nuts, you'd be on 'em.

Originally posted by Jesus of Nazareth:

...Gummo sucks.

your opinion sucks.

dancer in the dark is a good flick, but i

wouldn't say it was 'fucked up'.

lars von trier's 'idiots' is more of a fun

'fucked up' movie instead.

the 'celebration' is nice and good fun fucked.

eraserhead is a nice head fuck and the soundtrack

is even more of a cumshot to the face.

I saw Momento actually. Definitely a dope movie. I thought the ending might have used a little adjustment but the whole thing was really fuckin innovative.

But yeah Requiem For a Dream was pretty damn impressive. A pretty simple concept taken to the outer limits of what you can do with a camera. I saw some Kubrick influence underneath that movie for sure. The quick-style editing and the build up to the end really grabbed me ... Am I the only one who thought the script was kind of outdated? Marlon Wayans was sayin shit like "jive" and "groovin" ... ???

I read somewhere that Aronofsky put a lot of work into pushing Pi, and ended up getting the funding for Requiem from its success. I guess the hard work pays off eventually. Batman though?? I don't know ... Someone should get Frank Miller to translate The Dark Knight into a film already, those movies have been beaten-the-fuck-to-death.

[This message has been edited by Raels (edited 06-04-2001).]

Guest SNOee

Raels, he said things like that because Darren Aronofsky wanted the movie to be timeless, like a myth, because addiction is something that has plauged the human race for so long. That's why he used things like "dynamite" and shit. It's supposed to me undated.

Originally posted by brown twinkie:

your opinion sucks.

Explain to me what was good about that piece of shit movie. Sorry man, it just didn't hold my interest. Retarded people and white trash......why spend three bucks renting it when I can watch it from my friend's porch?

I agree with "tow up"..PI was a badass movie.....there is some movie called "liquid sky" that would suit all you people with bad taste.....it is one of the worst movies I have ever sat through.....DeadAlive is an awesome b horror movie....complete with Rat Monkies...Shock 'em Dead is funny as hell, too....some guy sells his sole to be the greatest rock star ever (this was made in the 80's...you do the math).....

requiem was amazing, the split screen bed scene was a godsend in filmmaking... his hand would be touching her and you could see his shoulder move but his arm was just enough off screen that is art that was amazing... there wasnt enough slow shutter speed in it tho' that is one of aronofsky's best "tricks"...

as for memento amazing the backwords screenplay was great... i couldnt believe it got into theatres.

gummo great film, cliche for the time and was completely expected. but a good film nonetheless.

jump to the video store and get pi or this irish movie i think it is called the warzone messed up movie and get apocalypse now!

requiem for a dream messed me up for the rest of the day. especially towards the end when mom started trippin off those diet pills hard. but basically it was alright-its life. fear and loath in las vegas was crazy too even more cuz i live in lv. my friend told me the whole movie and i watched it twice and it still bugged me out. its funny than a mug.

Holy fuck. Requiem for a dream was intense. I saw it in theatres about a month ago

(yes, we're slightly behind the times where I live). I thought the filming alone was brilliant. box car willy got it right on with the bed scene. I also liked the sequence every time they shot up. I read a review of the movie a few weeks after I saw it and it said something to the effect of after watching Requiem for a Dream you feel like your head's been put in a blender on high. That's pretty much how I felt when I left the theatre.

The Idiot's was great

Dancer in the dark was wonderful (Bjork was perfect for the role because she has that innocent childlike quality.) that was one of those movies where I was ready to yell at the characters in the tv.

Originally posted by SNOee:

Raels, he said things like that because Darren Aronofsky wanted the movie to be timeless, like a myth, because addiction is something that has plauged the human race for so long. That's why he used things like "dynamite" and shit. It's supposed to me undated.

Good point. On the other hand, aren't sayings like "dynamite" and "jive" from the '70's, which kind of defeats the purpose? I hear what your saying though, and when I was watching it the thought crossed my mind that maybe there was a point to the dialogue, I just couldn't see it.

One cool thing I noticed about that movie was the lack of importance among supporting characters as the story progressed. It felt like you were being pulled further into the world of each person as they interacted less with other people. Kinda like chillin on a bus with headphones on. Or somethin like that.

Originally posted by Jesus of Nazareth:

Explain to me what was good about that piece of shit movie. Sorry man, it just didn't hold my interest. Retarded people and white trash......why spend three bucks renting it when I can watch it from my friend's porch?

I agree with "tow up"..PI was a badass movie.....there is some movie called "liquid sky" that would suit all you people with bad taste.....it is one of the worst movies I have ever sat through.....DeadAlive is an awesome b horror movie....complete with Rat Monkies...Shock 'em Dead is funny as hell, too....some guy sells his sole to be the greatest rock star ever (this was made in the 80's...you do the math).....

heh, don't be sorry.....alot of people think harmony korine is a joke, cuz they don't take his movies seriously(becuz of his subject matter and lack of storyline), he's young, and he does things and films things alot of tight ass squares find weird to the point of totally dismissing his work with 'ah, that movie was a piece of shit'...his film work is totally unique, believe me. not many directors are trying to push beyond the bullshit narratives that dominate most movies except harmony...i think its totally respectable, and so does werner herzog(that alone should tell you something)....whatever, it seems people either hate his films or love them. obviously you don't like them. blah. don't bother seeing 'julien donkey boy' either, i'm sure you'll hate it.

i'll agree on dead alive. and bad taste. i used to be way into peter jackson. i never laughed so hard in my life while watching both of those movies.

[This message has been edited by brown twinkie (edited 06-05-2001).]

when you ahve read harmony korine and read all the footage before the release it was expected it is nothing against the movie it is an amazing movie...

i love movies i critique them to my opinion as for a harmony korine movie it was a cliche harmony film, watch his early stuff before kids his shirts etc it was cliche as hell.

Guest Bare

I was not a fan of Requim for a Dream. Boxcar William, I thought that the split screen was dope too, but the thing is, that device was used in the beginning, hardly ever followed through, it wasn't "paid off," to use filmic terms. I don't know, the thing that made the moive for me was Ellen Burstyn's performance, she was incredible. I thought that the film was alltogether kind of tired, I was never surprised, everything was relatively predictable, over the top or was halfway there. I wasn't even a fan of how it was shot, I thought that perhaps that could be a redeeming quality of the film, but no, not for me at least. More power to you if you loved it though. I could stomach it, just wasn't blown away. You Can Count on Me was dope, but I bet some of you will or could at least call me gay for saying that. As far as movies that'll fuck with you, go to The Weekend by Goddard or fucking Dancer int he Dark. The Celebration, that shit resonated with me. Did anyone see 8 and a half Women? That thing was so well shot, my Christ...

I'm listening to the Grateful Dead, it's been a rough day and it's not 10:30

i seriously felt like i was going to vomit by the time the movie ended......i think the girlfriend was the character that fucked with me the most...knowing that every situation in that movie was happening to thousands of people everyday was disturbing..... aranofsky....damn, the way that guy directs his films is unreal (id put him up with kubrik).

------------------

brick, brick ,brick...thats how i be up against your girlfriends ass...

Archived