1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Reparations from slavery?

Discussion in 'News' started by mental invalid, Mar 26, 2002.

1. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

Reparations from slavery?

Discussion started by mental invalid - Mar 26, 2002

i was watching the oreily factor, in between chris mathews' hardball...im much more aligned with mathews then with oreily...normally i cant stand the bastard...but he had some interesting comments on slave reparations....some that i actually agreed with, i tried to wash off the conservative right from body immediately after the program, but was left with the thoughts this morning...

so, i thought id bring it to the boards in a hope of stimulation....

the questions i aske myself are:

is this a pandoras box, with no end to the road...if reparations are paid, who will pay? the government? big business? the south? most likely the consumer and taxpayer, whom a significant majority of are black...so then is it a symbolic gesture? what about the fact that alot of slaves were actually captured by other african tribes?...do we then need to address other groups, although not nearly as heinous as slavery, but discrimnated against, such as the irish/japanese/italians, etc...

should we pay because what has happened has caused african american peope in this country hardship in the major areas of economics, politics and social injustices...do we owe a piece of american economic growth to african americans?....is this what a majority of african americans want?

some thoughts....lets see where this goes.....

mental invalid - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  2. beardo

beardo Guest

beardo - Replied Mar 26, 2002

you really know how to drop a bombshell topic at 9:30am. i may or may not be back later

3. crso

crso 12oz Senior Member

crso - Replied Mar 26, 2002

i say we should just get over it . because if we gave reparation to every minority group that has experience hardships. we would be paying for years.

crso - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

Poop Man Bob - Replied Mar 26, 2002

I believe a reaction should depend on what the African American community wants, although that is bound to change with time, so the answer will overwhelmingly depend on when you ask. I feel as though the government paying the reparations would be inappropriate because, like you said, much of the money would originally come from African Americans anyway. But such is the joy of any tax-based political system .... the radical redistribution of previously stolen goods - my favorite definition of 'politics.'

I too would like to read what other people have to say.

Poop Man Bob - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  5. mental invalid

mental invalid - Replied Mar 26, 2002

haha...seriously beardo, i havent even had my second cup of coffee bean elixer...i thought the same thing, dropping AM bombs...hopefully we will talk to you later....

6. beardo

beardo Guest

just happened on this link.. what a coinkidink..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,48781,00.html

CSX also issued a statement late Monday.

"The claimants named CSX because slave labor was used to construct portions of some U.S. rail lines under the political and legal system in place more than a century before CSX was formed in 1980. The lawsuit to be filed in federal court in New York City against CSX and other corporations demanding financial reparations is wholly without merit and should be dismissed," it said.

7. mental invalid

...interesting.....that is probably why oreily brought up the subject last night....

looks like this could get sticky.....

can companies that were operating as completely different entities over 150 years ago within federal law at the time be held accountable? how the hell do you even figure out restituion....

8. beardo

beardo Guest

not a snowballs chance in hell theyd win that lawsuit. BUT you can bet that all those companies will make heafty donations in the near future.. somethin's shakin on shakedown street..

9. Mr. Mang

Mr. Mang 12oz Elite Member

Mr. Mang - Replied Mar 26, 2002

how about we can all sign the congressional "get over it" bill

Mr. Mang - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  10. mental invalid

it used to be the heart of town....

and i quote:

"Among the three already named, Hartford-based Aetna, at the prompting of Farmer-Paellmann, has admitted that it insured slaves for slave owners.

Two years ago, the company, which has given over $36 million to the black community and hosts an annual symposium on race at its corporate offices, apologized."

11. mental invalid

...and might i say its real easy to say get over it when your not the afflicted party....i dunno know how id feel if i was black...shit im white and im not sure how i feel...

12. A Fire Inside

A Fire Inside 12oz Senior Member

A Fire Inside - Replied Mar 26, 2002

Call me dumb, closed-minded, racist, whatever, but I honestly don't see how paying to repair what happened will solve anything. It happened, and it didn't happen to anyone currently alive, so they shouldn't see any of it. (Does that make sense?)
    I'm just trying to say that the people who will recieve the reparation were not living back then to suffer through it, and although they may have had to suffer do to their color in their life, it is not because they were slaves...

I've come to the conclusion it is still too early to think and put words together properly, so hopefully they came off the way I wanted it too...

A Fire Inside - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  13. A Fire Inside

A Fire Inside 12oz Senior Member

A Fire Inside - Replied Mar 26, 2002

aaaaaand just because a company or whoever it may be is paying money to the "black community" does not mean that all the members of said community have ancestors directly related to them who were slaves.:confused:

A Fire Inside - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  14. Dusty Lipschitz - Replied Mar 26, 2002

ever stand outside a bar or club at like 230am, you and a few friends, one car, and everyone is trying to decide what to do, where to go...
    another bar, that new club that just opened, swing by that girls dorm, go get some food, go get some drugs, go home and crash, go paint, go play some GTA3...

the problem with slave reparations is that there is never going to be a consensus, never going to be some group that isnt pissed the fuck off and feels cheated or betrayed. people are going to look for the answer that makes everyone happy, and that answer never exists. everyone has their own idea about whats fair and right.

and second, once that decision is made, implementing (aka: funding) that is a whole 'nother ball game.

im glad that it got brought up, mr. roe, that although the white man is traditionally demonized, the reality is quite different. not to let whitey off the hook, but read the chapter in howard zinn's book, and then we can talk.

ok, so me personally? toughie. i think the floodgates/pandoras box gets opened when you start making reperations. you better have one of those red-round-deli counter-take a number and wait for it to flash on the digital sign thingies in place. where does it start? where does it end? the easy example is the WTC victims. why them? what about WTC '93? or what about the US embassy bombing in africa? anyways... what would my answer be? ill have to get back after my second cup of the coffee bean elixer...

15. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

BROWNer - Replied Mar 26, 2002

....yikes.
    roe droppin' daisycutters>

a guess: reparations won't do much.
    minorities such as the black community and aboriginal
    community are still gonna be anchored in the bullshit
    of the past. the only way to get past anything would
    be to completely erase that past.
    i don't know.
    johnny albino.