Rent: The Movie

Fugazi

I got dragged into this by my girlfriend, and the only way I survived was by watching the limited amount of graffiti. In one of the scenes you can see a pretty well known Saber MSK mural that is right off Market in SF... kinda funny knowing that the movie is supposed to be happening in NY. Saw a CHOKE MSK piece and I think EVADE? I dunno, if you get dragged into this, just watch the graffiti. It's 2.5 hours of hell.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I had to see this play in highschool, in the smallest seats known to man, on broadway. The tickets were free and it was aight to see what all the hype was about. It's a sad show though. I wouldn't pay to see the movie, but I wish it well among cinema-gone-retarded such as Get Rich Or Die Trying or whatever Usher movie is out at the moment.

Originally posted by Fugazi@Nov 29 2005, 04:13 AM

I got dragged into this by my girlfriend, and the only way I survived was by watching the limited amount of graffiti. In one of the scenes you can see a pretty well known Saber MSK mural that is right off Market in SF... kinda funny knowing that the movie is supposed to be happening in NY. Saw a CHOKE MSK piece and I think EVADE? I dunno, if you get dragged into this, just watch the graffiti. It's 2.5 hours of hell.

I was also dragged to it by the girlfriend. They must've filmed parts of it in NY because I'm farily sure I saw part of a rate fillin and one of the opening shots has some local toys popping up.

As far as the movie goes, I spent most of the movie laughing to myself thinking of all the poor starving artists living in tremendous Alphabet City lofts... Yes, I know it's set in 1989/90, but it's still laughable. I think the one thing that pissed me off more than anything else, was the chick dying at the end and magically coming back to life. Bitch, you dont come back when your strung out and have aids and have spent the last 3 weeks homeless living in the park. And if you do come back to life, youre surely not getting up and being like "I feel better" right away. "Oh, her fevers breaking!". Goody. Stab me in the fucking head.

Originally posted by maus1985@Nov 29 2005, 07:42 AM

I saw the play in high school for a class trip. It was awful, guys pretending to fuck each other on stage while there are constant interuptions for aids medication to be taken by the characters,

not really what i look to spend cash on

OMG. And this is legal?

I'm not gonna watch it because all the rich, jappy girls were into this play back in the day and I got sick of hearing about "rent" and "hey, do you have any gum?".

Originally posted by I.C.Shadow@Nov 29 2005, 02:12 PM

Hahaha, I remember hearing people say "Do you have any gum" a lot back in the day in relation to Rent. I forgot what it meant though.

I'm not even sure if there is a direct relation. I thought it was because the same type of rich, jewish girls (and those who wanna be like 'em) who loved Rent also loved asking people for gum. Some stupid high school trend, maybe. Thankfully, I dropped out and never attended an alternative school again.