remember the movie the terminator?

grittylifer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

to keep with the title: Yes

to keep with the subject: I don't really think nuclear war is all that imminent, nuclear weapons are more for showing how big of a dick we got. I don't think anyone's gonna go off launching nuclear weapons for the hell of it. Second, this is nothing like Terminator because there are no killer death robots, which is a shame cause it'd make the war a lot more colorful.

to go off topic: Terminator 3 is probably going to suck

Terminator & Terminator II: Judgement Day

The movie was okay, I thought some of the premise was pretty artsy fartsy. I enjoyed it back then, but the nuclear blast incinderating a kid's playground was a bit much.

Hollywood always over-does everything.

I thought the depiction of the survivalist movement was completely irresponsible. They show an extensive underground arsenal and not a single can of food. Assholes. In real life, it's exactly the opposite. The survivalist movement is a DEFENSIVE POSTURE, not an offensive one. That depiction is INTELLECTUALLY DISHONEST PROPAGANDA.

Linda Hamilton was pretty hot stuff in 1984. She trained for several months to get in shape enough to do some of the stunts. One of the scenes in the stamping mill has her racking a shotgun slide with one hand, and supposedly this was real difficult. All I can say is that my 13-year old could do it, so why not Linda Hamilton?

It had only been about a year since the U.S. had experienced a genuine nuclear near-miss disaster that involved malfunctioning computers (the movie 'War Games" was based on this real incident) and people were pretty jittery. My (then) girlfriend and I were seriously considering moving from the Orange County, CA area to rural Washington State to move in with her family, because we considered rural wheat country to be a more "survivability-oriented" locale than the California coast. Many Marines that I knew back then (I got out in 1981) moved their families "back home" to rural towns and smaller cities, away from primary or secondary targets.

The Evil Empire back then was the mighty Soviet Union, and everybody was scared shitless of them. Somehow the CIA managed to miss the little detail that the Communist system was about to teeter over and fall down of it's own bureaucratic weight and inefficient economic premise. Sort of like a false-front Old Western film set---the buildings look imposing, but if you open a door, there's nothing there. Basically, we out-spent them and they finally just threw in the towel. Good thing, too, because between the two major nuclear powers we could obliterate everything on earth about 500 times over.

In the middle of this atmosphere, we got Terminator. I liked it a lot. Terminator II was even better.

Re: Terminator & Terminator II: Judgement Day

Originally posted by KaBar

Sort of like a false-front Old Western film set---the buildings look imposing, but if you open a door, there's nothing there.

Blazing Saddles popped in my head after reading this.

Archived