RELIGION, yes or no?

marlboromild

whats God? is God a control method? a false hope? a crutch for the hopeless? is Jesus , God? or is God the seperate being who started it all? present your arguements reasons for your arguements, and if you dont have anything to say. dont say anything at all. none of this, " God screwed your mom" shit. i'm just curious to know how you feel about religion through out history, and the affects it has on the world today. what I'm trying to say is, discuss religion.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

there is nothing wrong with faith, or having beliefs.

organised religion, on the other hand, has shown itself to be a bad bad bad thing

***edit - perhaps i should elaborate a little

if there is an almighty god, creator of heaven and earth, all seeing and all knowing....well, do you think he really gives a flying fuck if you turn up to church every sunday? do you reckon he gets pissed if you eat a steak on friday? he's the almighty god and we're pissy humans. your prayers mean nothing.

AGNOSTIC:

: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

yeah.

ps- i believe in myself.

My mom is super religious and she has a really shitty life, which makes me think that religion is bullshit like iloveboxcars wrote. It's not that I'm extremely anti-religious, I just don't really give a shit. I could care less if there was a God watching over me or not. However, I do think that people who seem to only depend on God as particularly weak. It's sad to see people praying and praying for a better life when they don't do shit themselves to improve it. I know not everyone who believes in some kind religion is like that but I do know a few who are like that.

I believe in science, not faith.

Tease your last sentence hits the nail on the head.

My opinion on religion has been the following:

People have trouble having faith or believing in themselves, therefore needing to create a "higher being" to look up to in order to have hope for the future/life.

My religion:

Believing in my self, being optimistic [no matter how many 'bad' things might happen to me, I look at them as learning experiences rather than get depressed and cry about it], having in faith in my future.

Ever notice:

That when people pray, they are mostly apologizing to the god [aka to themselves] or asking for a favor?

Example: "Dear God, please get me this job. I really need it, etc."

instead say: "__your name here___, you can do it. You can get this job, you have the ability to succeed."

Yeh kids have faith in yourself. ;)

I don't believe in any religion, but some people find their strength through it, and that's fine, everyone needs that one thing no matter what it may be, to keep them going through their days. Plus if I did believe in any religion, I'd go to hell, becuase I sold my soul for Rock 'N Roll.

GATITA-

right on girlfran.

i was at church the other weekend, went because my moms enjoys it, but anyways, there was this one song that went something like:

"i cant make it on my own, but with him on my side (refering to god) bla bla bla..."

and i was like, what kinda bullshit is that? you cant make it on your own unless you believe in god? ummmm no...

shits just not for me. call me stubborn, or what have you, but i dont know, i just dont care for that stuff.

Originally posted by EyeforAnEYE

I don't believe in any religion, but some people find their strength through it, and that's fine, everyone needs that one thing no matter what it may be, to keep them going through their days. Plus if I did believe in any religion, I'd go to hell, becuase I sold my soul for Rock 'N Roll.

my thoughts exactly. "the purpose of all the major religious traditions is not to construct big temples on the outside, but create temples of goodness and compassion inside, in our hearts."- The dalai lama

Originally posted by gatita

Tease your last sentence hits the nail on the head.

My opinion on religion has been the following:

People have trouble having faith or believing in themselves, therefore needing to create a "higher being" to look up to in order to have hope for the future/life.

My religion:

Believing in my self, being optimistic [no matter how many 'bad' things might happen to me, I look at them as learning experiences rather than get depressed and cry about it], having in faith in my future.

Ever notice:

That when people pray, they are mostly apologizing to the god [aka to themselves] or asking for a favor?

Example: "Dear God, please get me this job. I really need it, etc."

instead say: "__your name here___, you can do it. You can get this job, you have the ability to succeed."

Yeh kids have faith in yourself. ;)

gatita, u took the words from my mouth. i was about to quote tease.

religion is for the weak minded. heaven and hell? honestly, i 'd rather go to hell with all the interesting people, heaven is a bunch of boring ass white people.

Originally posted by BUCK FUSH

my thoughts exactly. "the purpose of all the major religious traditions is not to construct big temples on the outside, but create temples of goodness and compassion inside, in our hearts."- The dalai lama

excellent quote, and unfortunately, the extremists can't understand this. I always see this one guy in my city, who wears this huge posterboard sign, with a picture of hell, and handing out pamphlets, and telling everyone they are going to hell if they don't repent their sins. I hate having beliefs shoved down my throat especially when I have zero interest in it.

Originally posted by marlboromild

religion is for the weak minded. heaven and hell? honestly, i 'd rather go to hell with all the interesting people, heaven is a bunch of boring ass white people.

You can't really say "it's for the weak minded" everyone has their own belief system, and it will differ from yours. So going out and saying something like that is kind of ignorant, you don't have to believe in it, but keep an open mind to it, like I already said, everyone has that one thing in their life that keeps them going.

Originally posted by marlboromild

:huh?:

Originally posted by KING BLING

I would encourage people here to seperate how the religion is practiced from what it is meant to be...

how religion should be practiced? it shouldnt. i say we run a holocaust along the bible belt. burn all those redneck souther mother fuckers. we'll call it a barbeque instead, and lure them into gas chambers with shitty country music.

You can't really say "it's for the weak minded" everyone has their own belief system, and it will differ from yours. So going out and saying something like that is kind of ignorant, you don't have to believe in it, but keep an open mind to it, like I already said, everyone has that one thing in their life that keeps them going.

haha sorry man, your right. i didnt mean "weak-minded", but i think you know what i was trying to say. not weak minded, but maybe lost. haha. i tend to rant.

excellent quote, and unfortunately, the extremists can't understand this. I always see this one guy in my city, who wears this huge posterboard sign, with a picture of hell, and handing out pamphlets, and telling everyone they are going to hell if they don't repent their sins. I hate having beliefs shoved down my throat especially when I have zero interest in it.

same city....ive seen him too. as far as religion goes, i believe that it serves a purpose in installing morals within its followers. However its also used to intall the homophobic/sexist/ludacris/hypcrytical views that the elite minority within the religion believe( see catholic church.)

i believe in karma to an extant in that i believe that being a generally good person will benefit you in some facit or other. there are obvious exceptions to this belief, but if nothing else i try to treat those around me as i want to be treated.

In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Mercifull

Bismi Alla Al Rahman Al Rahim

How can you deny the existence of God? How can you deny it when the human body is such a miracle itself, when the sun and the moon and starts are above your heads every single night? How can you be so foolish to turn away from our Creator?

Originally posted by BUCK FUSH

same city....ive seen him too. as far as religion goes, i believe that it serves a purpose in installing morals within its followers. However its also used to intall the homophobic/sexist/ludacris/hypcrytical views that the elite minority within the religion believe( see catholic church.)

i believe in karma to an extant in that i believe that being a generally good person will benefit you in some facit or other. there are obvious exceptions to this belief, but if nothing else i try to treat those around me as i want to be treated.

are you from Boston?

To tag along with the instilling of those aforementioned things, just look at the whole "god hates fags" brigade. These people are hatemongers, the guy who leads the whole thing is from the south, and him and his patrons made a trip to the massachusetts state house to protest the whole gay marriage "controversy."

I wouldn't say I believe in karma, but I try to be a good person, but sometimes it's just hard when the human race disgusts me

Originally posted by Faithfull

In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Mercifull

Bismi Alla Al Rahman Al Rahim

How can you deny the existence of God? How can you deny it when the human body is such a miracle itself, when the sun and the moon and starts are above your heads every single night? How can you be so foolish to turn away from our Creator?

I wonder who this might be

Here's my thoughts on the whole shebang.

First, there must be a God or a Being of power greater than our power, or perhaps a higher level of energy. There has to be something to explain the creation of the Universe as we know it. Perhaps a being of another dimentional level? Whatever, there has to be something, as "energy is neither created nor destroyed."

Second, religion as an organized entity scares me. It seems as though for a great deal of people it stops discovery of true faith and promotes blind faith. I know a lot of religions that pressure people into believing without questioning. I have to ask myself is this what God would want? Would God want me to take the easy way to discovering my faith by just adopting what someone else told me was right? I don't think so.

Another thing that, especially Christian Religions, adopt is the belief in an angry and vengeful God. If God is all powerful, and all knowing, as they say, why would he be angry? God already knew what was going to happen for the grand history of time. Why would he care if you ate a slice of bacon or skipped church?

Yup...

I do not at all mean to insult anyone by my following comments. Personally Im open to everyone's beliefs, but these are just my own:

[As far as Christianity goes..] The Bible is taken completely out of context by many of it's believers. It was meant as a series of Aesop-isque tales, etc., but many who read passages believe that Jesus turned water into wine etc., etc. To read the Bible and to view it as a way to better oneself is one thing, [to me] to believe that a human/humans did these things are another.

Anything written by man I dont 100% trust or believe. No Im not cynical [okay, a little haha], but honestly folks.. look at our [uS's] govt. Do you believe all of that? Okay, you understand now?

Another point: Jesus. At a certain time in my life about 5 years ago, when I lost faith in organized religion [i was raised Lutheran] I began just believing in the Bible and Jesus. Then I realized, okay [like I stated before] the Bible is written by man, etc. Then I realized, why cant I say Im the messiah? Okay, yes this sounds fucked up, yes I'll prob get some sarcastic replies by that comment.. but in all honesty?

If a child was born and a woman stated these things now, would we believe it?

I think Im stopping this post now, Im writting too much and..... Ill go off on a dumb tangent.

:lick: