REGGAE/DANCEHALL ANYONE?

aichs47

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest uncle-boy

check these guys out if you wanna hear some really good reggae music

-GROUNDATION, great sound and the lead singers got an awesome style my fav album by them is "WE FREE AGAIN" the track "suffer the right" off that album is bannanas, it guest stars don carlos and the lead singer from israel vibrations (i could be mistaken on the gust apperances)

-John Browns Body, this band and groundation are my current favs right now. a lot different sounding thn groundation, but still great. check out their album "THIS DAY", the track "land far away" makes any shitty day im having turn right around.

-Midnite- kick ass roots reggae group. check the album "unpolished"

-10ft ganja plant- great laid back dub music "HILLSIDE AIRSTRIP" is a good album, i really dig the track "walkey walk tall"

-ooklah the moc, a local reggae band that is really good. great vocals, instrumentals, and all around sound

-Bunny Wailer- does a great version of "Soul Rebel"

-Israel Vibration-classic awesome reggae band

-Black Uuru, another great classic dub reggae band "Sponji Reggae" is a good track from them

-Greagory Issacs, is also an all time great. if you dont konw about him, check it out. "night nurse" "objection overuled" "stranger in town"...and a lot more

-Bob Marley, nuff said.

-Steel Pulse, these guys are ledgends and are still tourning. i saw them last year and it was one of the best concerts ive ever been to. all you need from them is their album "SMASH HITS" and your set

-the gladiators, are also a good laid back dancehall old reggae band.

thats about it for now, i love reggae music. i dont think i go a day without listening to it :)

deffinately checkout groundation, john browns body, steek pulse, and midnite if youve never heard them.

let me let you know who spits the hot fire

Cutty Ranks-Limb by Limb

Buju Banton- Payed not played

Admiral Bailey- Grimme Punnany

Sweetie Irie-Slim Body Girl

Tanya Stephens-Yuh nuh Ready Fi Dis Yet

Lady Saw-Long longi Lala

Top Cat-Request The Style

Daddy Freddy-Yes we bloodd

Pato Banton-The Boss

Smiley Culture-Police Officer

Guest drewWrite

fuckin reggae.

i love roots, dancehall, dub... all of it.

as for roots, i like the classics:

king tubby

dillenger

burning spear

jacob miller (pre inner circle)

gregory isaacs (pre 90's)

as for dancehall,

i wholeheartedly recommend Ward 21. Can't go wrong...

lately the only thing that's been in my stereo is jungle/ragga

DJ/Rupture

DJ Scud

Wayne Lonesome

the whole Shockout series

fucking love eloctronic jamaican music

Originally posted by drewWrite@Oct 15 2005, 02:14 AM

as for dancehall,

i wholeheartedly recommend Ward 21. Can't go wrong...

my man right here knows the deal.

Check out any of DJ Karim's Stainless mixes

The Fire Fraternity joints area always good if youre into real modern dancehall.

T.O.K as well if you're into anything else I mentioned.

Dont sleep on the classics like Super Cat either.

Guest drewWrite

i'll check some of that other stuff out gliko.

i've been getting into a lot of UK dubstep stuff. lots of noisy-as-fuck dancehallesque jungle.

tomorrow night i'm going to a warehouse party all night with plasticman (not the minimal techno guy), Vex'd, kid kameleon and others. it goes on to 6 am. i'll let this thread know my conclusiuons...

I blaze much to/heavy rotation:

Steel Pulse

Horace Andy

Capital Letters

Peter Tosh

John Browns Body

Midnite

Studio One

wailing souls

black roots

sugar minott

cornell campbell

jah works

the congos new album

delroy

dry and heavy - good dub stuff

On a side note:

What do you guys think of the hesidic reggae/rapper Matisyahu? I was kind of feeling it at first but after a while I got tired of all the moyoyoiyoyoi's in every track.

Originally posted by uncle-boy@Oct 12 2005, 10:35 PM

check these guys out if you wanna hear some really good reggae music

-GROUNDATION, great sound and the lead singers got an awesome style my fav album by them is "WE FREE AGAIN" the track "suffer the right" off that album is bannanas, it guest stars don carlos and the lead singer from israel vibrations (i could be mistaken on the gust apperances)

-John Browns Body, this band and groundation are my current favs right now. a lot different sounding thn groundation, but still great. check out their album "THIS DAY", the track "land far away" makes any shitty day im having turn right around.

-Midnite- kick ass roots reggae group. check the album "unpolished"

-10ft ganja plant- great laid back dub music "HILLSIDE AIRSTRIP" is a good album, i really dig the track "walkey walk tall"

-ooklah the moc, a local reggae band that is really good. great vocals, instrumentals, and all around sound

-Bunny Wailer- does a great version of "Soul Rebel"

-Israel Vibration-classic awesome reggae band

-Black Uuru, another great classic dub reggae band "Sponji Reggae" is a good track from them

-Greagory Issacs, is also an all time great. if you dont konw about him, check it out. "night nurse" "objection overuled" "stranger in town"...and a lot more

-Bob Marley, nuff said.

-Steel Pulse, these guys are ledgends and are still tourning. i saw them last year and it was one of the best concerts ive ever been to. all you need from them is their album "SMASH HITS" and your set

-the gladiators, are also a good laid back dancehall old reggae band.

thats about it for now, i love reggae music. i dont think i go a day without listening to it :)

deffinately checkout groundation, john browns body, steek pulse, and midnite if youve never heard them.

i'm with you. i been diggin the lovejoys, the abyssinians, lee scratch, linton kwesi johnson, among others lately.and my favorite band granola funk who bust sick reggae and some of the best hip hop out.

Guest uncle-boy

yeah i feel the same as you beardofzeus. it was pretty cool at first but its gotten kinda boring. who knows tho his next album might be a bit more diverse.....

Guest drewWrite

i'm not trying to turn this into a hater thread or anything...

but does anyone else hate reggaeton as much as me?

it's probably the worst derivative of reggae ever. i can only vibe to it when i'm at a club and they've been spinning hardcore dancehall all night, and then suddenly throw on the reggaeton track, i can keep the rhythm going.

other than that, you know how every spanish radio station in new york plays reggaeton 24 hours a day. not to bring the hate, but it's sad to see so much better forms of reggae go unnoticed...

Guest uncle-boy

im with you on the reggaeton vibe.

to me its like the worst bastardization of a good music culture, yet its getting maaaad hype.

i mean, dig it if you like. but i think the roots movement of music has soooo much more to offer; musically and message wise.

but! to each his own.

Guest drewWrite
Originally posted by uncle-boy@Oct 13 2005, 07:35 AM

highly recommended. don't waste time with the first album. get "rearrange your positive" awesome roots album. i grew up with these cats. we used to play shows together when we were in high school. their first show was opening up for my old band. they have since totally surpassed our music. i didn't like them for a while, but they have totally changed my mind with their last album.