Recording

GucciCondom

What do I need to record things through my computer? I want to be able to hook a real mic up and record shit over beats. And I'm trying to not spend a lot of money because I'm no professional. What hardware do I need or what you think will get the job done? I'm not trying to spend over a couple hundred dollars just want some basic shit to get me on my way. Thanks in advance.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

as far as hardware, you just need a soundcard. Im pretty sure you can even use a microphone in the speaker jack.

and youre going to need A MICROPHONE.

you might also need some amps.

Ask Tease about the amps.

if you want it to sound halfway good, your going to need headphones, mic, amps that TAKE IN sound (can be found at any music/guitar place), a program of some sort on your comp, and a small digital multitrack hooked up to your comp. (via usb cable)

NOW.

if all you want is some bullshit line to comp from guitar, its really going to sound like shit. but if you invest a good 3 ot 400, youll get a MUCH better quality in all respects. and i mean WAY better.

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthrea...ght=home+studio

i sugest cubase or cubasis

if you are running windows me or 98 you can download pro tools free from digidesign's web site and its pretty good.

as far as hardware goes...M audio and tascam make pretty damn good budget audio interfaces, i personally use a tascam US-428 at home,

i dont fuck with samplers any more i just use ACID Pro for beats,

but yeah, cubase, logic and protools are your best bet, i hear cakewalk home studio is ok, and its under 100 bucks i think.

using th mic in port on your comp will sound like utter horse flachulance, but if you're just fucking around, go for it.

Originally posted by 26SidedCube

Go to school for audio engineering.

:nope:

seen to many waste money like that.

you get the same knowledge by working at a studio, or just hanging out at one, seeing how things are done.

Originally posted by 8onus

:nope:

seen to many waste money like that.

you get the same knowledge by working at a studio, or just hanging out at one, seeing how things are done.

Yeah, just like you can perform surgery from watching ER.

If you're just doing it for fun I don't suggest spending the cash on going to school for it, however if you ever plan on opening a studio or a professional mastering labratory I think it might be best to know the science behind what you're doing instead of wasting all the time on figuring out every aspect of recording through trial and error. It's like with this writing shit, start with straight letters or else everyone's going to spot where you cut corners.