1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Recipes for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by bobobi11, Nov 21, 2001.

1. bobobi11

bobobi11 12oz Elite Member

Recipes for Thanksgiving?

Discussion started by bobobi11 - Nov 21, 2001

Anyone have any really good recipes for Thanksgiving dinner? I am working on my menu and can't really decide what I want to make. I would like to try something new.

bobobi11 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  2. Zack Morris

Zack Morris 12oz Veteran Member

Zack Morris - Replied Nov 22, 2001

www.foodtv.com cook what ever emeril is cookin and I will be there.

Zack Morris - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  3. 23578

23578 12oz Elite Member

23578 - Replied Nov 22, 2001

just make sure that the breast meat reaches 152, and the leg meat reaches 160 and not much higher. i'm not sure the exact timing, there are many schools of thought, the high temp. "quick" turkey is a good one too, very crispy, but some combination of slow roasting, constant movement, or just once, and high temperature last hour searing is where it's at. i like cooking live for turkey day recipies myself, i'm about to go help mom out, but i think i'll let her cook today.

other food tv shows to check for hot recipies imho:
    food911-good solid food tips and techniques
    melting pot-maybe alex's turkey mole is on there
    good eats
    pukka tukka, the naked chef, yeah he's english-i bet he makes a good roast beef which is great for thanksgiving
    if you want to tofu, good luck, the most decadent tofu i've had has got to be tofu age and those sweet tofu packages the japanese make, they would be great today, even for your meat eating friends. which you could subsititue for, but the ingredients would be easy to find if your city has a japanese, korean or larger asian market or the west coast. hey, if nothing else works, there's always chinese takeout. hope this helps.

23578 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  4. 23578

23578 12oz Elite Member

23578 - Replied Nov 22, 2001

ok, ok, here's the update. the bird has been put in the oven, repeat, the bird's in the oven. actually it's all mom will let me handle, she knows i wouldn't settle for any less. what am i going to do? i don't know, i saw the cook's illustrated show on chicken, which taught me a thing or two, and the timing for our turkey @325 is 3.5 hours. i'm not worried about seasoning it too much, it's a butterball. i am worried about not scorching my breast meat trying to get those juices clear. my only tool, my taylor instant read thermometer. ok, so it's not lab quality, so kill me, oh, ok, you'll let the salmonella take care of that? when has anyone died from that? pshaw. i'm not sure yet, i'm going to play it by ear, here's the rough plan, but i'm going to start upside down on the rack at 325, so the breast meat gets cooked slower and is more flavorful from the constant self basting action. after two hours i'm going to flip the bird over. at two and a half hours i'm going to turn the oven temp. up to 450-500 and make some malliard reactions (brown the skin real good). mmm, turkey good. happy thanksgiving everybody!

23578 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  5. serpent of the light - Replied Nov 22, 2001

subway, veggie delight, no cheese, no jalapenos or green peppers, extra olives.
    xxx303