Recently Busted/looking for advice

SSeko157

had a little run in with the cops last night...claims he saw me in the process of painting...I didnt admit to anything...court date is in a month. Probably facing a fine...maybe some juvenile charges...

My question is this: In all modesty, Ive hit the city hard this summer. I know we have Vandal Squad here but im not sure to what extent they have power over.... Is it safe to keep hitting up the same shit? Anyone ever been in a similar situation? with court dates/name changes/all the bullshit legal stuff that comes with writing/etc etc?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by SSeko157@Sep 5 2005, 11:26 PM

had a little run in with the cops last night...claims he saw me in the process of painting...I didnt admit to anything...court date is in a month. Probably facing a fine...maybe some juvenile charges...

My question is this: In all modesty, Ive hit the city hard this summer. I know we have Vandal Squad here but im not sure to what extent they have power over.... Is it safe to keep hitting up the same shit? Anyone ever been in a similar situation? with court dates/name changes/all the bullshit legal stuff that comes with writing/etc etc?

Well its good that you didnt admit to anything

Its in the best interest that you dont say anything untill you speak to a lawyer, besides your name and contact information.

Am i the only one that would go back and fuck up the thing I just got caught for so i could continue writing the same name? In my city, when I first got caught, I didnt go fuck up all the stuff around my area when they stole my sketch book, and they TRIED to charge me for a whole wack of shit around my area... and it took them 2-3 days to go and get around to taking pictures, I could have avoided a court case had I went the day later and buffed some tags and bombs.

depends how good and how much influence ur city's vandal squad has over the judge. They arent all stupid.

By ur argument, it should follow then that a serial killer can only be charged for the one murder they caught him doing. Know what i mean?

If they have sufficient evidence to tie u to other crimes, then i dont see why they wouldnt.

Originally posted by SSeko157@Sep 5 2005, 06:29 PM

im guessing they can't press shit on you unless they actually catch you doing it; no matter how many throws you have that are exactly the same, they can only charge you for the ones that they have enough evidence for.

right?

It depends a lot on the prevailing sentiment of the city you live in, and what you painted. If you hit a lot of private property, the chances are that if they contact the owners, you could face multiple charges if they filed reports. They only have 72 hours to file a report in most cases where I live. If you were painting public property, again, it's all about where you live. If the city has a quality-of-life ordinance or a vandal squad, then they definitely will be stricter and most likely you'll have to do some community service.

However, I'd get a lawyer who specializes in criminal/civil rights cases in your corner post haste. Also, don't talk to ANYONE but him, including your parents, and don't take a deal from the cops until he can look at it and tell you what it means. A lot of people get screwed here. The cops are NOT ON YOUR SIDE. Period.

On a positive note, you are a minor, and you didn't cop to anything beyond what you did and what you had on you. Get all of your graff shit out of the house, like supplies, flicks, books, magazines, etc., buff any tags that might be in your place, and get rid of anything incriminating on your computer as well, including 12 oz. stuff. The cops are a lot smarter about that nowadays. Just save it all on disks, if you have to, and use a computer at a cafe or a library. I was staying at a house that got raided a few years ago- here's a link to the story that was in the paper. and, believe me, it's no fucking fun watching years worth of blackbooks and flicks walk out the door. Supplies can be replaced, but if they want to be hardasses they'll try to use it as evidence even though it doesn't stand up well in court. But, I'll never get my shit back even though I never was charged with anything. I filed numerous property relinquishment forms, to no avail...they're probably being used to prop up the water cooler for all I know.

That story might freak you out, but it's a worst case scenario. At least half of the graff cases I know about eventually get dropped for various reasons, mainly due to lack of evidence. It takes a lot of time and money to get a conviction, and the court system in a lot of places is swamped and operates on a triage basis by fast-tracking violent crime....so, a lot of misdemeanor stuff falls by the wayside as a result. Plus, they have a certain amount of time to prosecute you- if you case keeps getting continued, it's a good sign it's not that strong and won't amount to much in the end. BTW, I work as an investigator for a law firm, so I have a pretty good grasp on this.

But, get a lawyer, keep your mouth shut, and clean house. You'll be glad you did.

It was scary...I was coming home when I got a call saying I should wait, there was something going down, so I posted up across the street and watched...that's why I don't tell anyone where I live anymore and have a mail drop and unlisted number.

As far as them studying your tags and throws to try and say charge you in relation to all of them it's highly questionable whether they can do so. Recently in California doing this was held to be contrary to the state constitution, but that's the cali state constitution, looking up the case or mentioning it your lawyer might benefit you even though it wont be precedent outside of california. Shai is right as far as clearing out your house, definately do that before they get a warrant and try to collect evidence. Th only other I'd say is if you don't have a lawyer yet then look up your state's laws on graffiti are. Most states have a penal code that you can look at online and you can search it using keywords like graffiti.

Originally posted by SSeko157@Sep 6 2005, 12:26 AM

The best advice I can give you is that since you've already posted that you're guilty and you live in Canada, stop posting any more information right now. Cops read this board, and although they probably stopped caring when you mentioned "juvenile", you're better off limiting the information you place online about anything.

Originally posted by SSeko157@Sep 8 2005, 09:56 PM

just as good, Im hoping.

I'd grill him...see if you can get some of the police report released to you and look for discrepancies in their story versus the truth. They'll try to pull some crazed shit if you let them. Good luck, keep me posted.

Ahhh Seko, if they have a record of your ups, and the officer has some type of hard evidence, (which he probably doesn't) unless he caught you in the act. You may have to write a letter of apology to crown council and/or community service. Best bet is to defend yourself and state that you have done nothing as legal aid will try to get you to plead guilty for reduced service.. The onus is on them. I've been through this many times in this city. Just say no.

can anyone tell me whether its safe to tell the full, untainted truth to my legal aid appointed lawyer? Or is pleading not-guilty pointless since its basically my word against the cops...

i dunno tho...they DO have legitimate evidence...bout a dozen cans...pictures of paint on my hands.... supposed eyewitness account...

fuck. the worst thing is im on curfew man...and im not about to risk breaking it, getting caught again, and thrown in jail til my court date...

all i can say is... from goin bombin almost EVERY night consecutively...to watching cops in my underwear at 9 oclock PM....its definatley a change of pace

Originally posted by religion@Sep 9 2005, 01:29 AM

Ahhh Seko, if they have a record of your ups, and the officer has some type of hard evidence, (which he probably doesn't) unless he caught you in the act. You may have to write a letter of apology to crown council and/or community service. Best bet is to defend yourself and state that you have done nothing as legal aid will try to get you to plead guilty for reduced service.. The onus is on them. I've been through this many times in this city. Just say no.

what do you write my friend

Originally posted by Home Time@Sep 9 2005, 04:49 AM

Can't really add anymore to that shai hulud post. Good advice.

Thanks...If it saves one kid from having to go through the system without some kind of foreknowledge, then going through my bullshit was worth it. Most graff cases, if you read through the police reports like I have, are based on hearsay which is inadmissable in most evidentiary hearings unless there is overwhelming collaboratory testimony by witnesses. And, that's not much, really, if you're smart. Also, there has to be some kind of tangible proof (i.e., photos) of the damage, and a lot of property owners buff before they realize, "Uhhh...maybe I should have gotten a picture of that for the police report/insurance claim/scrapbook..", so sometmes stupidity and/or laziness will save you.

I believe in the old saying, "It ain't a crime if ya don't get caught."

it really depends on the place you are caught I am from canada and I was caught then said they were going to take pictures of all of my stuff and charge me with them. they caught me red handed so they knew what I wrote. They charged me with one count which resulted in only 5 hours of community service haha and writing letters of apology. however they charged my buddy with 13 counts and took pictures in some of the pictures there was my tag there with them.

Originally posted by umpalumpa@Sep 13 2005, 04:54 PM

it really depends on the place you are caught I am from canada and I was caught then said they were going to take pictures of all of my stuff and charge me with them. they caught me red handed so they knew what I wrote. They charged me with one count which resulted in only 5 hours of community service haha and writing letters of apology. however they charged my buddy with 13 counts and took pictures in some of the pictures there was my tag there with them.

There's Canadian policework in action, right there.

http://www.vancourier.com/issues03/083103/.../083103nn1.html

The two cops explain graffiti is not necessarily the work of a single person; it's often done by a "crew." Pointing to one tag, they explain that the style indicates it's the work of a particular vandal whose name and address are known to the police. The problem is that they can't charge him until he's caught in the act.

wow. this thread is really helpful especially to those who dont know their rights or what to do in the case they are arrested. so basically heres my bit: keep your mouth shut to anyone and everyone. if your arrested. do the same. noone can help you in a court case. fact. especially not the cops. no matter what they know or pretend they know.. SHUT UP. the more you say the more there is against you in court. thats how it works. if they know you write whatever it is you write, or if they have pictures, whatever, who cares. deny it all. theyll never find you guilty in a trial if you fight it all the way. its just not worth it to them to find evidence in a trial for a graffitti case. and if you got a hundred graffiti cases, whatever, same deal. just keep your mouth shut till the end. i cant stress that enough. and oh, by the way dont tell your lawyer the truth about shit. if he/she knows the truth, they cant make up a lie for you, ya know. so they have to remove themself from the case and youll get a new lawyer. i tried that once to see what he would come up with and he told me that. tirns out i had been sittin in county for like 6 months on pretrial and i told him this shit and it fucked my case allll up, but thats a whole nother story and also not graf related, but whatever. im out peace. ps.. SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by SSeko157@Sep 5 2005, 06:26 PM

first off the cop was lying.. thats what they do.. second of all if they let you go they are probably watching you right now.. they will get shady to seal your case up. the only really good thing you can do is get a lawyer, the more expensive the better, but he might even get you off. but untill then chill on the bombing cause if they have a half ass case on you right now they will try to get you for more shit.

Tell your supposed legal aid "It wasn't me, DEFINETELY!" stick to your story. Every time I've been caught they have said they have had eye witness. Only once out of a possible 10 times was this true. Only once did I fall for it, never again. Don't EVER admit to anything in Canada. Unless of corse they have a video of you and they have shown this to you before trial (they have to) I've even had a cop falsify my statement in court. Also I've had the video evidence card pulled, and failed. STICK TO YOUR STORY.

P.S. For obvious reasons (online vandal squad patrols) I can't tell you my name over the net, but I like your stuff Seko. You have MAD potential, just don't chicken out because of the legal shit.