Reading text vs. reading graffiti

toaztlove

I wound up in this discussion yesterday with a friend of mine about dreams. We talked about not being able to read in a dream, if any of you can recall trying to read something in a dream, I'm sure it was just jumbled nonsense, weird symbols and whatnot. I remembered disctintly recognizing a tag in one of my dreams (don't remember who's it was), and this had me wondering. Graffiti seems to have some duality in that it can be read like regular letters, but recognized as a symbol or specific image too. I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this sort of thing, how reading and writing graffiti differs from traditional writing and reading, beyond the obvious anyway. Anyone?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

in graffiti each word[tag or bomb or piece] has a special meaning behind it and has a story to go along with it.....as in normal words in sentances have everyday use and dont have a special meaning or a story behind it, also your tag shows who YOU are.....

Originally posted by why write?

in graffiti each word[tag or bomb or piece] has a special meaning behind it and has a story to go along with it.....as in normal words in sentances have everyday use and dont have a special meaning or a story behind it, also your tag shows who YOU are.....

i have huge nostrils and i used to suck up crumbs of food with my nose.. like a hoover...therefore hoovie:)

a lot of tags are a lot more illegible than regular letters, which tends to make seem them more like a single symbol rather than a word made of individual letters. a tag is also just more representative (or symbolic) of something than just a regular word.

i dunno anything about that not being able to read in a dream thing. i have a hard enough time remembering anything about my dreams, let alone whether I was reading something or not.

haha, this is probably the most thought provoking and intelligent post thats ever been made on this board. its kinda nice.

interesting.

i had a dream once that i was benching freights in this yard and some old ny subway trains were mixed in the line. it was a skeen and him t2b. when i went to get the flik my girlfriend grabbed the camera and smashed against the support column. then i choked her to death. ...

whats even iller (this was about 6 or 7 years ago) is that to this very day, and over the past few years, whenever i go back to that bridge to bench there is a foul stench of death, my friends smell it too. but i never told them about my dream.

Originally posted by ZedIsDed

interesting.

i had a dream once that i was benching freights in this yard and some old ny subway trains were mixed in the line. it was a skeen and him t2b. when i went to get the flik my girlfriend grabbed the camera and smashed against the support column. then i choked her to death. ...

whats even iller (this was about 6 or 7 years ago) is that to this very day, and over the past few years, whenever i go back to that bridge to bench there is a foul stench of death, my friends smell it too. but i never told them about my dream.