READ THIS ABOUT YOUR MASK

CAPS

This is an excerpt from "Bomb the suburbs" Read it and if you still don't wear a mask , your just ignorant. Masks are not for fashion, they are for your health. Or piss the bed and forget your phone number, it's up to you. JUST READ

MESSAGE TO MARIO: WEAR YOUR MASK

"We used to have a joke that spray paint was fucking up our memories. A few weeks ago, Mario called me with a new joke. When we were 13 and 14, we painted dozens of walls together, traded girls, fought gangbangers, battled other crews, and talked on the phone almost every day. For a while, Mario was my best friend. After we stopped hanging out, he got even deeper into painting. He painted with different partners every week, traded photos around the world, and filled his life with graffiti. Even the great Trixter had said he was a graffiti head.

We used to have a joke that spray paint was fucking up our memories. A few weeks ago, Mario called me with a new joke. "It wasn't the memory, it was the bladder," he said. "About a year ago I started noticing I had to use the washroom more often. Before I learned to control it, I would urinate in bed even. It kept getting worse. Now, I can't drink anything for two hours before I go to bed. I pee once before bed, then I have to get up again twice during the night"

The neurotoxins in spray paint have damaged the part of Mario's brain which produces hormones to control his bladder. The label on any spray can will tell you it can also damage the immune and nervous system, kidney, liver and lungs - the same is true for a lot of markers.

Anyone who's gone piecing has felt the slight dizziness, and loss of appetite. Some of us get headaches and nausea. I personally get muscle spasms and my hair is starting to go (one of four writers I know who're early balding). In the long run, who knows? Spray paint could be our Asbestos, our AIDS.

Coincidentally, I have a second friend named Mario. This Mario lives on the West Side, and he's at least as much of a graffiti head as the first Mario. He paints at least as much as the first Mario, and has at least as many problems. "All my life, I never used to pick my nose," he told me recently. "Then in 1988, I started having to pick my nose all the time, getting paint-colored snot, scratchy throat, wheezing. Then one time, I did this real big production and I coughed up blood. After that I lost my voice for like a week. Dude, I was scared. I didn't want anybody to know. The doctor told me don't spray paint no more. I kept doing it, and my symptoms kept getting worse. I stutter... I get a tightness in my eye, twitches in my wrist... Dude, I get major, major headaches... The worst part is, I feel like I'm getting stupider; I can't articulate myself as well as I used to be able to... I think I'm addicted to doing graffiti, I fiend for it. Graffiti is my life. I feel like I might have to die for it."

I have to admit, death by graffiti sounds like an honorable way to go out. I dream of it myself. But isn't that giving up at the game, copping out at the challenge of life: the challenge to be stronger, smarter, healthier, better than we thought we could be. The challenge to survive.

Mario, I don't want to visit you in the hospital or at the cemetery, and I don't want you to visit me there. Sometime in life, I too may have to cough up blood, lose my hair, or to lose my mind because of the painting I've done. But I ain't going out like no sucker.

When I use spray paint, I do everything to dilute the toxins and keep them out of my body. I eat before and after painting, use the wind to avoid inhaling fumes, steer clear of other toxins, refuse to paint indoors, and refuse to go out unless I really care about the piece. Most of all, I wear gloves and a mask, changing the filters regularly. I'm wearing that fucker right now. Please wear your mask too, Mario. Both of you. that shit ain't funny no more."

End the excerpt.

Nuff said. This is deap and real. I have a friend I can't seem to get through to.

CAPS..... info = health

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

..SURE

Oh yeah. I'm sure that many have but I put it up in hopes that if someone hadn't they would read it and it would set in. Sometimes I just read it again to remeber the importance. Fuck pissing myself...... again.

CAPS.........pee pee

first off how do you know this article is true yes the person may have these problems and maybe paint fumes did do it or contributed but is this a writters medical diagnosis or is this coming forma doctor its hard to belive that if this were a real problem that it would be more widly known casue there are plendy of other people that paint that much more and have been doing it for that much longer and its never really been a huge issue

..noted.

.true. It could be fake. But what is the point in arguing the safety of a mask? I do know for a fact from PERSONAL experience about the eye twitch and memory loss part of it. Lets put it to you like this. The toxins in paint have been known to cause cancer............ enough?

CAPS..... I don't like cancer and eye twitching.

P.S. anyone wanna step up with some personal side effects? I think people are missing the issue.

This article is what made me buy a mask 2 years ago.

If anyone on here honestly believe that paint isn't bad for them, then we need to make more of an effort in passing on the information.

Props to CAPS for putting this up. I know most of us have read it, but maybe it should be STICKY so it's always available.

Here's a link to the story. WEAR YOUR MASK

peace,

Damn.. I really wanna buy a mask but shit.. i fucking can't afford those shits. i shud stop wastin $$ on other shit and buy one i guess! when i paint i try and wear at least something like a yard working type mask or even a damn bandana, which i doubt even help. i try and wear them at all costs but since I got glasses, everytime i breathe my glasses get fogged up. I can't see for shit without my glasses, so i just take all breathing shits off and paint now days without anything cuz my glasses get fogged up. With gas masks... do they fit OK with you wearing glasses? do your glasses get all foged up and shit? if they do i'm fucked =

...NOPE

I wear glasses and I don't have a problem at all. Until you get some cash , find a local body shop and ask them if maybe you could sweep the parking lot for a respo. They have shitloads laying around and they will probably be cool about it.

CAPS..... glad your thinking

its the truth, ruth. not wearing a mask will fuck you up eventually. especially if your in closed quarters. which also includes painting trains in between lines, where the fumes get trapped right around your head.

think about it logicly, anything that goes through your body, passes through your liver, (if it doesnt get lodged in your lungs first!) which acts as the 'filter' for the body. as chemicals and pllutants pass the liver, they dont all 'pass' which means they get stuck in there. if you cant put two and two together, and accept that having a bunch of fucked up chemicals rotting away at your liver can be a bad thing, then honestly, who cares if you dont wear one, your dumb as shit anyway and the world would probably be better off without you.

Originally posted by chozer

i hope it doesnt catch up to me too quick..

thats a pretty bad attitude to have. it'll catch up faster than you think.

i've been painting for about 14 years now and i've been wearing my mask since about '95 but... all those years without one has taken a toll. i too have memory problems as well as the articulation factor they talk about. i piss a hell of a lot. it hasn't gone that far as for me to piss myself or piss my bed, but fuck do i ever piss a lot.

a couple things i've learned... whether i'm repeating or not... eat before and after rockin, drink as much water as humanly possible while rockin, piss as many times as you can while rockin, cover as much of your exposed skin as you can, even with the mask on use the wind factor, even with the mask on use the breathing technique (for anyone that doesn't know.. hold your breath while spraying large areas).

as well, if your in it for the long haul, there's no reason you can't take a month off to clean your system out. once or maybe twice a year i do this as well. for all of us that get winter, thats a great time to do it.

you can never ever be too careful.

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by bigpoppa.k

(for anyone that doesn't know.. hold your breath while spraying large areas)

it's funny how common sence seems to get overlooked sometimes.

And I've actually seen people whip off the mask,

walk 10 feet away, and smoke a cigarette. Can you believe that?

well i belive this shit. Im real young, 14 and ive been painting for two years, but i was in the basement of this place and i was doing this real nice peice and..well i passed out, i got up smoked a ciggerette and then again..i almost passed out, my boy had to like drag me out of the room, and i was pretty shaken up. I promised myself im not paintin in places like that again. And my mom bought me a phat mask. And i wear that even when i go bombing..

wear your mask it is important. gloves too all those nasty solvents that evaporate so quickly also soak through your skin into your blood stream just as quickly. iz the wiz has cancer (not positive why but 30+ years of fillins cant help). i think he had an article in stress aobut being sick from paint i cant remember. i also have many friends who are sick from silver please please wear a mask.

-jerk182 cares.

oh yeah whoever was saying it fogs up their glasses, this means your mask isnt fitting right. if your breathing comes out above your nose its not tight enough and your breathing in comes in there too. put your hands over the filters blocking the air intake and breath in. if air is getting in anywhere else it doesnt fit right.

Guest drip one

oh yes the passing out feeling. i painted numerous rooms this year and felt like i was gonna pass out for a second. but the last time it lasted for about 4 minutes. i swear i thought i was going to die. everything faded away and there wasnt shit i could do about it. i still dont wear a mask, but thats my thickheadedness and ignorance. id suggest the mask. especially indoor jobs.

Guest blood as ink

i lost my mask about a year and a half ago...haven't replaced it since...i guess i should get around to doing that...more sooner then later.

Originally posted by ohno*rock

this is very important stuff. i'm a prime example of how bad fumes can fuck you up. i dont have long to live... and i've fathered two children that have both been diagnosed with downs sindrome.

that sucks....:o

hate to see another RIP thread pop up.

Re: ..noted.

Originally posted by CAPS

P.S. anyone wanna step up with some personal side effects? I think people are missing the issue. [/b]

after i had been painting about six months i started getting muscle spasms...i didn't really know it was from painting until i read some of these posts on 12 oz...i had eye twitches and spasms in my leg ...recently i bought a respirator...$30 is well worth it when your life-long health is involved. now i paint the safe way.

Archived