rape is ok, as long as you have PTSD

lord_casek

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-06-22T165432Z_01_N22395669_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-CRIME-CANADA-ASSAULT-COL.XML

WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) - A former Canadian soldier who claimed to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, has been found not guilty of sexual assaulting a 13-year-old girl due to his mental disorder, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. reported on Thursday.

Roger Borsch, 34, had pleaded not guilty in a Winnipeg court to assaulting a co-worker's daughter. He said he suffered from a mental disorder stemming from his experience with the military in war-torn Bosnia.

Local media reported Borsch, who was working at a correctional institute at the time of the incident, admitted during his two-week trial that he broke into a home in June 2004 and sexually assaulted the girl at knifepoint.

Borsch told the court about events he witnessed in Bosnia in 1994 that caused his disorder, including shooting a Serbian soldier who was raping a young girl.

A psychiatric review panel will decide whether Borsch requires hospitalization or will be released into the community under supervision, CBC said.

------hey, that's ok. last year and the year before last we had how many cases of soldiers coming back and killing/beating their wives? there was one base that had 14 instances in a one month time period.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

Borsch told the court about events he witnessed in Bosnia in 1994 that caused his disorder, including shooting a Serbian soldier who was raping a young girl.

I wonder what would have happened if he'd killed a Serbian soldier raping a pig.

The Governement is also to blame, and i think they have accepted that they are partly responisble for this guys actions. I doubt he was ever provided with theropy or counceling when he returned from war. And as more and more of these cases come into the public sector we will see that unless they want to be sued they will have to continue to give these guys far lighter sentances.

I'm not saying I agree with this at all, I think that it's a huge cop out BUT in letting this guy off the Government is in a backwards sort of wat beginging to take some responsibility. And im sure that they will provide all soldiers who return with alot help than this guy got.

Not to stray away from the fact that this is still wrong!

Huh, you make an interesting point. After all, it was not this poor future-rapist who started the war. Still I think that law is law, and you have to set the bar somewhere, and you can't just let rapists off. Law and government is about running society and it sets a bad example to have someone get away with such an atrocious crime, no matter the cause.

really, since WHEN, has any government EVER helped the re-assimilation of soldiers into society? That has always been a largely 'private sector' move... I mean, SURE, they SHOULD have figured this out after Korea, much less Vietnam but, it didn't happen, and hasn't happened. My homie that fought in Somalia to REsecure the very corner where the Blackhawk went down one week after the event was transfered to the Phillipines about a month later and eventually finished his tour and gave his last salute, then he was on his own...

Sure there's the VA hospital angle but, that's really an after the fact solution.

I know for a fact that Australian soldiers now have the option to 3 months theropy if they feel they need it. All at the expence of the Government.

When they are made the offer is in front of the rest of the troops or in private one-on-one meetings. My guess would be the former as it cuts the cost when less people say they want that help.

My guess would be it is included in the contract they sign, so they know the option is available before they leave. Wether they take up this oportunity or not im not sure.

Im not defending the Government or the guy who commited the crime. Im just saying by them letting him get off free they have obviously accepted some responsibility for his actions.