1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Railroad College

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by kinkosnerd, Dec 16, 2001.

1. kinkosnerd

kinkosnerd 12oz Junior Member

Railroad College

Discussion started by kinkosnerd - Dec 16, 2001

Has anyone heard of any of the railroad college courses out there. I was looking at the CSXT website today, under the jobs available section, and there was a bunch of stuff about a course taught at a couple of colleges around the country. it was a conductor program of some sort, it cost $4000 though. so i was just wondering if anyone had any experiece with this one.

kinkosnerd - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  2. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

Ski Mask - Replied Dec 16, 2001

there are a few places that have courses for training existing employees, but as far as I know if you want a course based around becoming a conductor or engineer from scratch , you have to go to Modoc academy in California, or SAIT in Calgary.

Ski Mask - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  3. visualJAZZ

visualJAZZ 12oz Member

visualJAZZ - Replied Dec 17, 2001

I talked to some guys at a CSX sub station in my town. They said I would have to go to classes in Atlanta(i guess the closest in my area). Its a 2 or 4 week course apparently. I dont have the $$ plus I'm in regular college now.

visualJAZZ - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  4. kinkosnerd

kinkosnerd - Replied Dec 17, 2001

yea, this one is a 5 week course. It sounds pretty neat. It also sounds pretty strict, I think that it said that you have to have been employeed somewhere for at least 3 years prior to even applying. Im getting excited.

5. vein's nipples

vein's nipples New Jack

vein's nipples - Replied Dec 28, 2001

i found 1 online... 3 courses for 60 bucks.. i think it's at salt lake city comm college or something

vein's nipples - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  6. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

Intangible - Replied Jan 4, 2002

Is that where they teach you to be a conductor? woot woot..

Intangible - Rank: 12oz Legend - Messages:
  7. another loser

another loser 12oz Elite Member

another loser - Replied Jan 6, 2002

well do they say anything about graffiti?
    i mean, id guess that a shit load of writers have thought about becoming a railworker/conductor just to get in the yards and have a well paying job.
    its a really good idea.
    foxy, if you think about it, what do conductors have to do? i might be wrong, but just sit in the engine and controll the train.
    carry your ps2 and play that until the buzzer starts goin off tellin you you just hit somethin.
    13 hours shouldnt be all that bad,
    i work a warehouse 12 hour shifts 4 days a week, 5 and 6 if i want it.
    and to think about the money youd be making as a conductor would be loads more than what i make in that shitty ass acrylic dust filled warehouse.
    that shit makes your nose bleed.
    found a new use for my respirator.

another loser - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. kinkosnerd

kinkosnerd - Replied Jan 6, 2002

thanks for the info foxy..

I dont have any interest in being a conductor so that i could get in yards and what not.. I love trains.
    I think that being a rail worker just so you can paint trains would be a bit of overkill.

9. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

Ski Mask - Replied Jan 6, 2002

the conductor is in the cab with the engineer, but he isn't the one operating the train. He just does that paperwork, watches for signals, does all the physical crap involved in switching or repairs over the road. To be an engineer requires a ton of training and is far more complicated than you'd think. You gotta be focused on your job 100% or you could seriously fuck up. Just cause he doesn't have to steer doesnt make it easy...

Ski Mask - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages: