Railboxes

InnerCityRebel

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest KING BLING

They mostly got repainted like 2 years ago...this makes them more vulnerable because if you get one, it's one of thousands of cleans. Do the workers a favor and yourself in the process and avoid anything on Railboxes that is printed. But really they seem to be the most likely to get painted over anyway, so if you put in effort don't get let down....but what do I know.

Guest SteelWheels

i cant imagine them re-painting the whole fleet. i still see a lot of old paints runnin. besides what about the ones they have leased to other companies. those are always old paints.

i did see a set of the new ttx hi-cube rbox look-a-likes last week in the yard.

most of the baxcars that pass through here are pretty well hit-up.... some older stuff, but mainly newer. Stamp-outs aren't uncommon, but that's just because people paint over their numbers.... If people would just respect the numbers, i bet paintings would run a lot longer, and chances of "repainting boxcar lines" wouldn't really be an issue in the first place.

Guest KING BLING

If any of these responces were towards me - Yeah its that old news, nothing new or exciting...yeah there are a lot of the old ones out there but none the less the vast majority have new paint jobs and if the old ones are actually owned by Railbox (which many of the non-painted ones are not) I believe those are subjected to the same rule of buffing. I really don't know anything about Railbox itself becoming non-existant if that was the original intent of this thread...

Guest SteelWheels

and if it was towards me, no im talkin about these high cube cars with a full railbox paint scheme but ttx reporting marks. i saw about 4 of em' together like a week after someone posted a photo here.

CN bought a buch and they stay unpainted and marked CNA.. or is it cp with cpaa?.. whatever..

Have you guys seen thoughs new GIANT TTX YELLOW BOXES?

SO hot right now.

They're the same car as CP's Big Reds, the 260 i think, but they're railbox yellow or very similar.

You'll be getting some fresh 2003's in your yard soon enough...

Guest Mike bibby

a good 30% of my entire fr8 collection is railbox, been doing them since 96..ive seen maybe 2 or 3 of my 90's railbox's between 2001-2003..

Originally posted by SteelWheels

and if it was towards me, no im talkin about these high cube cars with a full railbox paint scheme but ttx reporting marks. i saw about 4 of em' together like a week after someone posted a photo here.

the reporting marks are tbox, not ttx, mr. knowitall smartypants.

...re-stamped rail boxes are usually due to the fact that the particular car has been sold to the other railroad...eventually these cars will be re-painted with the colors of said rail road...all railboxes are leased cars (the call letters end in 'x')...meaning they can go anywhere on any line...which is also why all the info gets buffed so much...it's like a rental car, the person recieving it may not know all the facts...bring tape and keep the workers happy...

Originally posted by porque

...re-stamped rail boxes are usually due to the fact that the particular car has been sold to the other railroad...eventually these cars will be re-painted with the colors of said rail road...all railboxes are leased cars (the call letters end in 'x')...meaning they can go anywhere on any line...which is also why all the info gets buffed so much...it's like a rental car, the person recieving it may not know all the facts...bring tape and keep the workers happy...

the x simply denotes ownership by a company which is not a railroad.

ive seen some of these new railboxes that yall are talking about i think.

the one, i did a doubletake. it was a freshly painted rbox, same type ridges, same exact size and paint color but the reporting mark was like FBOX, or some other letter in place of R, and the font was slightly different.

i also heard somewhere that all those grey IC's with new paint are just old RBOXes that were sold off. yeah?

• 2 months later...
Guest mikro137
Originally posted by Cup 'O Soup

CN bought a buch and they stay unpainted and marked CNA.. or is it cp with cpaa?.. whatever..

Have you guys seen thoughs new GIANT TTX YELLOW BOXES?

SO hot right now.

They're the same car as CP's Big Reds, the 260 i think, but they're railbox yellow or very similar.

You'll be getting some fresh 2003's in your yard soon enough...

yes the whole TTX thing is widespread as of now. around 99 rbx started to repaint cars as a sort of widespread rehab effort. some of this is spilling over , and some of it is just plain aquisition of rolling stock , getting the paint scheme that is relevent to the current market state. UP is doing similar things with the FGE line (solid gold/colds) in an effort to "rehab" the division. thus making everything nice and tidy. i guess :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Down in Atlanta, Railbox has contracted out work to company to repaint about 200 railboxes that sat in a local layup for a week or so, when me and my boy came across it, we had struck gold, I took mad flix of em, knowing that shit would be gone soon...

• 2 weeks later...

ive caught a good amount of the new tbox's and painted about 8 or 10. they suck! yeah they are new, shiny and the ones i seen, had 2003 manufacturing dates, but they are double beer bar. but if that doesnt matter, then they are cool. id rather paint a plain old railbox with a open panel honestly.

Archived