Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Railboxes

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by InnerCityRebel, Mar 28, 2003.

1. InnerCityRebel

InnerCityRebel Veteran Member

Has anyone else heard about all the Railboxes getting repainted and restamped?I was told that they will no longer be in an existance soon.

2. boogie hands

boogie hands 12oz Legend

ouch...i certanly hope not...

3. Sorc bcj

Sorc bcj Member

i'd believe it, i've painted lines that were easilya couple miles long worth of railboxes...we'll see.

4. KING BLING

KING BLING Guest

They mostly got repainted like 2 years ago...this makes them more vulnerable because if you get one, it's one of thousands of cleans. Do the workers a favor and yourself in the process and avoid anything on Railboxes that is printed. But really they seem to be the most likely to get painted over anyway, so if you put in effort don't get let down....but what do I know.

5. SteelWheels

SteelWheels Guest

i cant imagine them re-painting the whole fleet. i still see a lot of old paints runnin. besides what about the ones they have leased to other companies. those are always old paints.

i did see a set of the new ttx hi-cube rbox look-a-likes last week in the yard.

6. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

I haven't heard anything about this. Unless you're talking about the news that's two or three years old, that Railboxes have been getting fresh paint jobs, but are still Railboxes. I still see oldpaints, maybe 30% of the RBOXes I see.

7. razeagainst

razeagainst Banned

most of the baxcars that pass through here are pretty well hit-up.... some older stuff, but mainly newer. Stamp-outs aren't uncommon, but that's just because people paint over their numbers.... If people would just respect the numbers, i bet paintings would run a lot longer, and chances of "repainting boxcar lines" wouldn't really be an issue in the first place.

8. KING BLING

KING BLING Guest

If any of these responces were towards me - Yeah its that old news, nothing new or exciting...yeah there are a lot of the old ones out there but none the less the vast majority have new paint jobs and if the old ones are actually owned by Railbox (which many of the non-painted ones are not) I believe those are subjected to the same rule of buffing. I really don't know anything about Railbox itself becoming non-existant if that was the original intent of this thread...

9. SteelWheels

SteelWheels Guest

and if it was towards me, no im talkin about these high cube cars with a full railbox paint scheme but ttx reporting marks. i saw about 4 of em' together like a week after someone posted a photo here.

10. Cracked Ass

The new hicube RBOXes have TTX marks because Railboxes and TTX autoracks and intermodals are owned by the same company (last I heard). They are all "pool" cars, meaning anyone can grab them when they're empty, they don't get returned to a specific railroad.

11. Cup 'O Soup

Cup 'O Soup Senior Member

CN bought a buch and they stay unpainted and marked CNA.. or is it cp with cpaa?.. whatever..

Have you guys seen thoughs new GIANT TTX YELLOW BOXES?
    SO hot right now.
    They're the same car as CP's Big Reds, the 260 i think, but they're railbox yellow or very similar.
    You'll be getting some fresh 2003's in your yard soon enough...

12. Mike bibby

Mike bibby Guest

a good 30% of my entire fr8 collection is railbox, been doing them since 96..ive seen maybe 2 or 3 of my 90's railbox's between 2001-2003..

13. krowteN

krowteN Member

the reporting marks are tbox, not ttx, mr. knowitall smartypants.

14. CROW RA

CROW RA Senior Member

theres a few with the letters
    abox stamped on them.
    seen them in toledo

15. Cracked Ass

ABOXes have an extra half-door to the left of the regular door, making the usual panel a rough go. They get around though.
    In fact, all the CNA-restamped cars with the Railbox logo that I've seen are ex-ABOXes because they have that extra plug door.